• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

UK:

A teenager has defied the threat of a terror attack by wearing her cadet uniform to school despite being warned against the idea.

Michelle Hughes was told to carry her Army uniform in a bag when travelling to and from school after fears of a Woolwich copycat attack on soldiers.

But the proud 17-year-old cadet ignored advice, insisting she had not been brought up to be ‘scared of anything’.

Her show of courage comes after children in cadet forces across the country were warned in December not to wear their uniform outside school.

Pupils were also told to carry out searches of training areas, ranges and accommodation before setting up camp while on trips.

Individual units were told to ensure with ‘immediate effect’ that ‘appropriate security measures’ were put into place in all detachments.

Michelle’s mother, Rose Hughes, said: ‘I am not going to be afraid of evil frustrated people. That is the way I brought up my children. I brought them up to work hard and achieve and fulfil their potential.

‘There are crazy people out there who take out their frustrations in life on other people, but this country is peaceful and I do not want my children to be afraid.

‘Let the terrorists be afraid, they are the ones who should hide.’

When the guidance was issued by some units, a Combined Cadet Force (CCF) source said it was a ‘terrible shame’ that children were no longer able to wear their uniforms proudly on the streets.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2985698/Teenage-cadet-defies-warnings-terror-attack-wear-uniform-school-brought-not-scared-anything.html

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,146
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1950

This humble Marine veteran solutes this young brave girl.  God Bless her and keep her safe, so she can keep us safe.  :mgbowtie:

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  225
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/29/1984

Wow, she is awesome! Good for her!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,145
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Oak

Thanks for sharing this with us that we can keep these brave,young,cadets in our prayers...............God Bless them,protect them & keep them safe from any hurt harm or danger,,,,in Jesus Mighty Name!

With love-in Christ,Kwik

Guest LadyC

while i applaud her bravery, i have to question was this actually a warning issued to the cadets? or an order? because the military generally doesn't give out cautionary advice. they give out orders. and to defy orders to make a statement about bravery is not only foolish, but it is also something that should not be celebrated.

my dad was army. my brother, air force. my daughter and son-in-law are marines. i remember when the corp ordered that marines no longer wear their uniforms off base, my daughter was very unhappy about it. not only could she not proudly wear it in the civilian public, but she couldn't even stop to fill her gas tank on the way home. but as annoying as the orders were, they were just that... and they were not to be disobeyed.

now maybe since this is just a high school cadet, the rules don't apply. but it seems to me that they still would, because the whole purpose of ROTC programs is to prepare them for military service, which includes submitting to authority and obeying orders. maybe things are different in the UK.

but, if she wasn't disobeying direct orders, good for her.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

When stationed overseas, we are advised to wear civilian clothing to and from work and then change into our uniforms when we arrive at our duty location.  This is a common security policy for overseas locations.  It isn't a policy stateside.  The cadet needs to understand that this isn't just about her pride, it is about operational and information security and is intended to protect the mission.

Guest LadyC

When stationed overseas, we are advised to wear civilian clothing to and from work and then change into our uniforms when we arrive at our duty location.  This is a common security policy for overseas locations.  It isn't a policy stateside.  The cadet needs to understand that this isn't just about her pride, it is about operational and information security and is intended to protect the mission.

don't know about all branches, but my daughter was stationed at camp pendleton six years ago when they were ordered to no longer wear uniforms off base. they're in pensacola now. i don't know if they're still under that order or if it was a temporary thing. i should probably ask her.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

The difference is that it's not overseas. If military personnel cannot wear uniform in their own country then it's a sad state of affairs and a clear of indication of surrender to an enemy within. We've all seen the World War Two flicks. Imagine if British or U.S. soldiers were cowered to into not wearing their uniforms on home ground!

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

My misunderstanding, I thought it was an American cadet in Britain.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/31/1955

God bless this beautiful child, and her courage.