• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  128
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/14/1958

NASHVILLE – An American Baptist College is defending its invitation to an openly lesbian United Church of Christ minister, asserting that Christians are making an “idol” of the Bible.

“It’s sad that people use religion and idolatry of the Bible to demoralize same-gender-loving people,” American Baptist College President Forrest Harris told The Tennessean on Wednesday.

The publication then asked that he clarify his use of the phrase “idolatry of the Bible.”

“When people say [the Bible] is synonymous with God and the truth,” Harris responded. “We can’t be guided and dictated by a first-century world view.”

read more here

And yet 'idolatry' is used to condemn and accuse those holding to the inerrancy of scripture.

How quaintly "first-century".

And inconsistent.

And *diabolical*.  

Guest shiloh357

Keep  in mind that this an "American Baptist Church" which is a separate, and somewhat liberal Baptist denomination.   I know an American Baptist Church in my town and they are very, very liberal and "multi-cultural" which has been a code word for basically accepting everything that comes down the pike.

There are several kinds of Baptists many who are far more conservative and far more Christian than this American Baptist Church.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  903
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

Are they worse than the SBC? (Not being a Baptist, I'm not up on the differences).

Guest shiloh357

Southern Baptists generally don't accept or condone homosexuality or even female ordination.  In fact, this last year at the annual convention, the SBC disfellowshipped a Southern Baptist Church that embraced homosexuality/gay marriage.

Guest LadyC

i was raised baptist, and i don't even know the differences, John Robinson! i'd never heard of 'american baptist' until this article.

Guest shiloh357

Oh yeah, there's Southern Baptists, Free will Baptists, Reformed Baptists (Calvinist), Independent Fundamental Baptists, American Baptists, Northern Baptists, General Baptists, Primitive Baptists, Landmark Baptists....   those  are the ones I remember off the top of my head

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

NASHVILLE – An American Baptist College is defending its invitation to an openly lesbian United Church of Christ minister, asserting that Christians are making an “idol” of the Bible.

“It’s sad that people use religion and idolatry of the Bible to demoralize same-gender-loving people,” American Baptist College President Forrest Harris told The Tennessean on Wednesday.

The publication then asked that he clarify his use of the phrase “idolatry of the Bible.”

“When people say [the Bible] is synonymous with God and the truth,” Harris responded. “We can’t be guided and dictated by a first-century world view.”

read more here

This is just I was talking about.  Where does the Church draw the line.  Now we have Baptist pastors saying that basically OK to be  gay and calling those of us who believe the Bible word for word Old first Century.  I would not to be this Baiptist pastor when he stands before God.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

read more here

When morality becomes subjective, it's all over but the crying.   

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Not really a surprise to me, american baptists have always been a bit on the liberal side, and are known to discount scripture that doesnt agree with what they want it to.

Guest shiloh357

I have a very conservative Southern Baptist Church and we specifically state in our by-laws that homosexuals are welcome to attend, but may not become members, much less participate in any ministry in the fellowship. 

We have been criticized for that by more than one person.