IGNORED

Presbyterian Church USA Approves Gay Marriage

I don't get how there can be so much infighting when all these groups use the same bible as their single authority.

If everyone is using the same authority than what does liberal vs conservative have to do with anything. Gods word is Gods word.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

I don't get how there can be so much infighting when all these groups use the same bible as their single authority.

If everyone is using the same authority than what does liberal vs conservative have to do with anything. Gods word is Gods word.

God's word is His word, but people can be deaf to it. That is why they disagree.

Guest shiloh357

There are people who don't believe the Bible, who believe it  to be irrelevant to our day and age.   There are those who believe it and they hold to it as the final arbiter in all matters of faith and practice.     So obviously, if you have a low view of the Bible's authority then you will obviously disagree with those who are true Christians who honor God's word above all else.

Not all Protestants are governed by or believe in Sola Scriptura.   Liberal denominations are governed more by social concerns and they filter the Bible through those concerns.   The Bible is not their sole authority.  

So the assumption that all protestant denominations are holding to the Bible as their final authority  is  a  false assumption.

Guest Judas Machabeus

Fair enough Shiloh. Main reason I am on this forum is because I have more assumptions than knowledge and I am trying to change that.

I was listening to a talk yesterday and the guy had made an interesting comment. He said that in his younger years he and his wife would decide what Church they would go to by what their social views were at the time.

This is a foreign idea to me. For me, I bend my will and views to conform with His word. Not the other way around.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

Not a surprise....they are the liberal faction of the denomination.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  165
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Well, seeing  how I am Presbyterian, and don't agree with that, I now have further reason to stop going to church. Brilliant! Well, wide is the gate.........

Sheesh....  I give up. Denoms....... Yeah, I'm done.

Proof

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

Well, seeing  how I am Presbyterian, and don't agree with that, I now have further reason to stop going to church. Brilliant! Well, wide is the gate.........

Sheesh....  I give up. Denoms....... Yeah, I'm done.

Proof

Is your church PCUSA? Or some other group?

I heard on a Christian radio station, a person saying that when PCUSA made other liberal decisions, a lot of churches bailed out of that organization and moved to other Presbytarian groups which were more conservative. This announcer was bemoaning that decision, saying that if the conservative churches had stayed part of PCUSA, they would not have gone further into liberal unbiblical policies. I disagree. If there is enough of a majority in a group which is liberal enough to pass unbiblical rules easily, it is clear that conservative churches won't stem the tide. I have heard of PCA, as a conservative group, but the announcer seemed to say that there are several conservative group which are Prebytarian.

Guest Judas Machabeus

Should a Church not be lead by the Holy Spirit and not by popular vote?

My mother was born and raised Luthern (Missori Senate) and now goes to a different senate and this new Church had a minister try the same thing (marry a same sex couple). They voted against it and the minister was promptly fired.

It seems odd that Gods Church is run by voting and not by His Word

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  165
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

I intend to ask my pastor on Sunday if there is an affiliation with our church or not..... It kind of rides on his answer. Judas, I am surprised to hear a Lutheran pastor tried that... They are so conservative. At least when I was Lutheran, they were. I remember we were afraid of the pastor. If you got in trouble during Wednesday night classes you had to go to his office like the principal.... He was not a nice man...

Guest Judas Machabeus

From what I understand the Missori Senate is very conservative. But the Church she attends now is a different one. ELCA, or something like that.

I read an article where a preacher tweeted a picture of of himself holding a sign saying "I walk for sandwiches". This was to mock the walk for life folks. The article went on to say that this Christian denomination fully supports planed parenthood.

How can someone support abortion and consider themselves Christian. Same goes for so called gay marriage.