IGNORED

When we read the bible, do we believe in Faith?

Wrldtraveller

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.69
  • Days Won:  37

So what about the subject about faith healing, laying of hands, speaking in tongues,  and different miracles, are they still in use now as it happened in the 12 disciples time? and how do we bring up this subject in church?

There's your key -- "as it happened in the 12 disciples time".  There is a time and a season for everything, and during the Apostolic Age, sign miracles were a necessity to authenticate the Divine Gospel, therefore the apostles were given "the signs of an apostle" -- the ability to perform miracles --  meaning that these men had been sent by God to preach the Glad Tidings. 

As time progressed that ability was gradually withdrawn, so that even Paul could not perform a miracle for Epaphroditus, but prayed earnestly for his healing (Phil 2:27).  The apostles would pass on to glory, therefore James gave the Church instructions for Divine healing -- the prayer of faith of the elders of the church (Jas 5:13-20).

Scripture clearly states that three specific gifts would vanish away -- prophecies, tongues, and knowledge (which would be supernatural, since ordinary knowledge abounds) (1 Cor 13:8-13).  Scripture also says that the GREATEST spiritual gift is not a miraculous gift but agape -- charity -- Divine love (1 Cor 13:13), and this gift is available to all Christians.  Therefore the focus on sign gifts is unhealthy.

Does God expect Christians to interpret the Word as they study it and meditate upon it?  Absolutely (2 Tim 2:15): Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truthWhat does God mean by "rightly dividing the Word of Truth?"  Does He not mean properly and accurately interpreting the written Word of God?   The Greek word orthotomeo (dividing) pertains to cutting something straight. Spiritually it means rightly dealing or handling something -- interpreting the Scriptures correctly and accurately. When this does not happen, we see false doctrine and practice.

Ezra, I agree with your comments regarding studying and meditating on the Word of God, properly and accurately interpreting the written Word of God.   Interpreting the Scriptures correctly and accurately is absolutely key to having right understanding of the gospel message and teachings of the Apostles.  And I completely agree with you that when this does not happen, we see false doctrine and practice, to varying degrees, arise.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Interpreting the bible literally,  well What I tend to do is read the bible, interpret it as best as I can do and literally, unless I read a section that I cannot understand, then I pray asking God to help me understand it, and meet with other believers and discuss that subject, then I can better understand it.   

Having miracles happen just as it did during the disciples time,  there is a scripture that Jesus said to believers, "the things I can do, you can do much more." So we believe in Jesus, Accept Jesus as our saviour, we have the holy spirit in us, thus, are we still able to do everything that Jesus did during His time on earth?  Does that mean Jesus lied when He said that all believers can do everything that Jesus did?  I do not think so.  Jesus said that we all can do everything that Jesus did if we give Him all the glory and use HIs name in the prayers.

W