• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

I wanted to ask what some of you think about "deliverance ministries". Is it seeking man instead of God? Or is it the Holy Spirit working thru the vessel of a man? I know some of these ministries seem "out there" but there are others that seem more legitimate. (i.e. look on Facebook for DeGraw Ministries - Healing and Deliverance). Is this a gift of the Holy Spirit? Or do some of these people have gifts such as discernment or word of knowledge (or prophecy) that enables such a ministry.

I feel like I am in bondage (I think due to some old hurts). I have not been baptized with the Holy Ghost and do not hear His voice as some people hear. It seems it would be an advantage if the Holy Spirit is able to legitimately talk or work thru a person. Thoughts? I am close to the DFW area.

Many deliverance ministries worry. Though there are legitimate people who are crazy anointed for deliverance, I've seen one thing that usually shipwrecks people in these kind of ministries. The devil becomes the focus instead of Jesus. When Jesus is exalted and lifted up and the focus is establishing His reign in a persons life, deliverance can be extremely real and successful, but when the focus is hunting demons for every moral issue people get wacked. I do believe deliverance is important and it's something that is desperately needed.

I've seem and been a part of many deliverance.. I remember recently seeing Todd White speak a few months ago and when he did an alter call, a lady was there and couldn't look him in the eyes, he said, "Look at me" she couldn't and he said, "That thing is leaving you tonight, in Jesus name get out of her." She flew back and hit the ground almost in convulsions and then it stopped, she was free and she gave her life to Jesus.

When I was in Bible College, during one of the chapels, a student was going through a hard time and asked me for prayer. I heard the word rejection so prayed for it to be broken off, instantly his eyes changed to hatred, he swung at me and my friend, his voice was different and he was screaming out blasphemies against God and us. I pinned him  and was holding him down. At that time, I thought yelling meant authority so I screamed at the top of my lungs at the demon to leave. Hundreds of students ran out the door screaming and some of the professors were watching. Security came up and said I can't pin students down and he got up, but didn't get delivered. There was a huge debate going on with the professors because of this incident because the ones that were there said it was a demon and the ones who weren't said it was a mental disorder. What happened is this guy knew he had a demonic oppression, he went to his pastor and his pastor told him that Christians couldn't have demons so don't worry about it. He was kicked out of school because no one at the school was equipped to deal with it.

There are people who legitimately need deliverance and that is an area that I feel the Church in America is the least equipped. That is slowly changing though.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I wanted to ask what some of you think about "deliverance ministries". Is it seeking man instead of God? Or is it the Holy Spirit working thru the vessel of a man? I know some of these ministries seem "out there" but there are others that seem more legitimate. (i.e. look on Facebook for DeGraw Ministries - Healing and Deliverance). Is this a gift of the Holy Spirit? Or do some of these people have gifts such as discernment or word of knowledge (or prophecy) that enables such a ministry.

I feel like I am in bondage (I think due to some old hurts). I have not been baptized with the Holy Ghost and do not hear His voice as some people hear. It seems it would be an advantage if the Holy Spirit is able to legitimately talk or work thru a person. Thoughts? I am close to the DFW area.

Optimally, deliverance "ministries" should not be necessary, if the Body of Christ was not impaired by poor teaching about the Holy Spirit and how were are to walk in His power and giftings. But there are only pockets of believers that embrace the Holy Spirit and His baptism and empowerment, and who live lives of victory and His anointing. Hence, deliverance has become a sort of spiritual specialty, when we all should have the anointing to deal with evil spirits whenever and wherever we find them.

Mark 16:17 makes it clear:

These miraculous signs will accompany those who believe: They will cast out demons in my name, and they will speak in new languages.

That said, because there is a dearth of this anointing in many if not most local churches, we do indeed have people who fall into this category of ministry, and great help is gained by those who are genuinely gifted. Several years ago, we had to send our daughter to a family member who was associated with a deliverance ministry for her to be helped with a demonic presence in her life. She came home completely free, having been delivered of four demons, and is serving the Lord fully today.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

:thumbsup:

Catch As Catch Can....

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Ephesians 6:12

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  141
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,242
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  0

Yes the bible does talk about different spirits that cause sickness and how Christ Jesus cast out spirits out of people.

Mark 9:25

Jesus Heals a Boy with an Evil Spirit
24Immediately the boy's father cried out and said, "I do believe; help my unbelief." 25When Jesus saw that a crowd was rapidly gathering, He rebuked the unclean spirit, saying to it, "You deaf and mute spirit, I command you, come out of him and do not enter him again." 26After crying out and throwing him into terrible convulsions, it came out; and the boy became so much like a corpse that most of them said, "He is dead!"…

We are told through scripture and the words of Christ Jesus  as christian to go out in the world and preach the good news and deliverance through Christ Jesus to the world.

John 14:12

11"Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me; otherwise believe because of the works themselves. 12"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father. 13"Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.…

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/21/1948

Biscuit, several people here have hit on the truth about ministries for deliverance BUT it is true that people of God are gifted with different gifts. Some to speak in tongues, some to have word of knowledge etc. and deliverance ministry is sometimes given to a Christian to help folks who are oppressed by Spirits. This is a valid ministry guided by the Holy Spirit. Having come from the Pentecostal background, I have seen many people who love the Lord operate in the gifts of the Holy Spirit BUT like all gifts, it can and will be misused by some. Your best bet is to be involved in a group where the evidence of valid ministry is available and practiced with care. Your local body is the best place to experience this. I have been in many such groups and can testify that the Holy spirit is manifested in Christians to help deliver others from oppressing Spirits. I myself have been delivered from certain oppressions and the experience is incredible. Surround yourself with Christians who believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit and want only to glorify the Lord through exercising the gifts He has provided us to set the captives free. 

Edited by Jmann

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Biscuit, several people here have hit on the truth about ministries for deliverance BUT it is true that people of God are gifted with different gifts. Some to speak in tongues, some to have word of knowledge etc. and deliverance ministry is sometimes given to a Christian to help folks who are oppressed by Spirits. This is a valid ministry guided by the Holy Spirit. Having come from the Pentecostal background, I have seen many people who love the Lord operate in the gifts of the Holy Spirit BUT like all gifts, it can and will be misused by some. Your best bet is to be involved in a group where the evidence of valid ministry is available and practiced with care. Your local body is the best place to experience this. I have been in many such groups and can testify that the Holy spirit is manifested in Christians to help deliver others from oppressing Spirits. I myself have been delivered from certain oppressions and the experience is incredible. Surround yourself with Christians who believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit and want only to glorify the Lord through exercising the gifts He has provided us to set the captives free. 

Deliverance isn't a spiritual gift, though. In fact, it is something all Christians should be ready, able and willing to do. If more were strong in this area as they should be, no such "ministry" would be required.