alphaparticle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

You are responsible for your own reactions. This last sentence of yours is deeply disturbing.

Why should it be "deeply disturbing"?  You will notice that I said "men (in general)".  I did not say "spiritual Christian men".  Big difference.  Men (in general) are all around us. If Christian women follow immodest fashion trends, that impacts men in general, not just spiritual Christian men (who can be held to a higher standard, as you and I know).

Speaking of which, if a Christian brother sees a Christian sister who does not understand what appropriate modest dressing involves, he would have every right to go to a mature Christian sister who knows what's what, and ask her to have a little chat with the person who needs some advice on modesty. It's usually better if a woman tells another woman what is acceptable and what is not (and Scripture clearly supports that).  That which used to "obvious" vis-a-vis modesty in the past is no longer obvious today.

And Bopeep, the reason I mentioned "chunky" was to simply show that the trend is affecting even those who should not be displaying their cleavage.  One would expect the chunky ones to be more discreet, but that was not the case.  They are even displaying their bellies these days.

No woman should be displaying her body, chunky or otherwise. Are you saying it's more acceptable if a woman is slim?

Men should be Christ like.....   simple as that....

Absolutely.  The issue that was raised in this thread is why has feminine modesty  become an issue?  And the answer is because it is an issue

I was at a place of business recently where the attendant at the counter was a young woman (and chunky to boot).  Not only was her cleavage exposed partially but she had some kind of unreadable message tatooed across the top.  She probably did not give it a thought, and assumed that this was "business casual".

This type of female exposure is becoming the norm.  So Christian women need to be asking themselves whether they are allowing these norms to influence them, or are they resisting them.  If they are not resisting them, then men (in general) should not be blamed for their inappropriate responses.

I know a young lady who often wears very low tops.The fact that she is chunky means nothing.There are a lot of chunky women.She has a couple of guns tattooed on that cleavage. fear.gif

I don't care if you women decide to run around naked......   men are still responsible for their actions.....      and I can tell you that even though you do I will not be unfaithful to my wife.....           and the problem is that too many men are not that way....    and that's not womens problem it is ours.....    our tongue is very capable of uttering the word "no".

The day we got married I promised my wife I would not be intimate with anyone but her.......    that was in front most of both of our families and a large number of our friends.....    and most important we invited God to our wedding....       there is no excuse for not being faithful to your spouse.

As for lust, that's a different story.....   God seems to have put hormones in our system to drive things and we are supposed to learn to control these hormones....

I think as a Christian you should care if a woman runs around half naked because that is not what God wants.Men are only human and the temptation is great and it is very easy for them to stumble and fall if a woman puts that temptation before them.Look at David in the OT.Some men do not want it to change because they like the eye candy.

\

Makes me wonder why woman are called 'the weaker sex'.  Most women would not stumble like David if they saw an unclothed man. 

Glory, I whole heartedly agree with you. This shouldn't even be a discussion about this issue. Being a man, used to be in the world, but saved by grace, it's a nasty place out there and worldly men have very little good in their mind. I even see this in the church and there is no place for objectivity of women in the church. My daughter once dated a non Christian, to my objection, and I told her exactly what to watch out for. Guess what, she found out the hard way. 

Right; there's always the time your daughters start dating (yikes!).  I won't say there are no good men out there but I can only look at the culture I work and live in.  It's slim pickins. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

Men are uncomplicated.   We are simple in our thoughts and our reactions...feed us, love us, send us out into the world to do battle, wash rinse repeat

Women are....messy. Complex, multi layered, full of ambiguities that should be clear to us but just are not.

they require more  "maintenance" time so it would figure there would be more posts...so many more nuances

just saying

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Glory, I whole heartedly agree with you. This shouldn't even be a discussion about this issue. Being a man, used to be in the world, but saved by grace, it's a nasty place out there and worldly men have very little good in their mind. I even see this in the church and there is no place for objectivity of women in the church. My daughter once dated a non Christian, to my objection, and I told her exactly what to watch out for. Guess what, she found out the hard way. 

Right; there's always the time your daughters start dating (yikes!).  I won't say there are no good men out there but I can only look at the culture I work and live in.  It's slim pickins. 

Yup,Yup, Yup there is only a few of us good men out there, MorningGlory is right when she said "It's slim pickens". Sorry Jmann, your daughter's out of luck, my wife pulled me off the bachelor shelf forty one years ago, but I'm sure there are a few good men out there yet.

LOL Oh come on now folks, you know I had to throw a joke into Worthy somewhere. LOL

Oldzimm 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

No woman should be displaying her body, chunky or otherwise. Are you saying it's more acceptable if a woman is slim?

Agreed.  No woman should be displaying her body.  But it is more consistent for those who are attractive (slim) to put themselves on display. The point was that the fashion trends are being adopted willy-nilly and at least some Christian women have been swept up in this. On the other hand, Christian men normally do not need any admonishment in this regard.

Men are uncomplicated.   We are simple in our thoughts and our reactions...feed us, love us, send us out into the world to do battle, wash rinse repeat

Women are....messy. Complex, multi layered, full of ambiguities that should be clear to us but just are not.

they require more  "maintenance" time so it would figure there would be more posts...so many more nuances

just saying

Women are messy????  What are you trying, but failing, to get across here, R.W.?   :45:

Agreed.  No woman should be displaying her body.  But it is more consistent for those who are attractive (slim) to put themselves on display. The point was that the fashion trends are being adopted willy-nilly and at least some Christian women have been swept up in this. On the other hand, Christian men normally do not need any admonishment in this regard.

Thanks for clearing that VERY sticky point up, Ezra. 

Yup,Yup, Yup there is only a few of us good men out there, MorningGlory is right when she said "It's slim pickens". Sorry Jmann, your daughter's out of luck, my wife pulled me off the bachelor shelf forty one years ago, but I'm sure there are a few good men out there yet.

LOL Oh come on now folks, you know I had to throw a joke into Worthy somewhere. LOL

Oldzimm 

:mgcheerful:

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

You are responsible for your own reactions. This last sentence of yours is deeply disturbing.

Why should it be "deeply disturbing"?  You will notice that I said "men (in general)".  I did not say "spiritual Christian men".  Big difference.  Men (in general) are all around us. If Christian women follow immodest fashion trends, that impacts men in general, not just spiritual Christian men (who can be held to a higher standard, as you and I know).

Speaking of which, if a Christian brother sees a Christian sister who does not understand what appropriate modest dressing involves, he would have every right to go to a mature Christian sister who knows what's what, and ask her to have a little chat with the person who needs some advice on modesty. It's usually better if a woman tells another woman what is acceptable and what is not (and Scripture clearly supports that).  That which used to "obvious" vis-a-vis modesty in the past is no longer obvious today.

And Bopeep, the reason I mentioned "chunky" was to simply show that the trend is affecting even those who should not be displaying their cleavage.  One would expect the chunky ones to be more discreet, but that was not the case.  They are even displaying their bellies these days.

That is what I was thinking  hmmm.gif