Esther4:14

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  603
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  1

I am interested in hearing other opinions about this crucial verses in Matthew 24.  

"So also, when you see all these things, you know that he is near, at the very gates.  Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place" (Matthew 24:33-34).  

I never really had an opinion about this verse before I realized how significant it was in separating opinions concerning prophecy within the body of Christ.  

Since then, I think that it is important to gain more clarity on this verse as we move forward in the times that we are living.  

I found from a basic Google search that according to Genesis 15:14-16, God defines a generation as 100 years because He tells Abraham that his descendants will be oppressed for 400 years.  Then, He tells Abraham that in the fourth generation they will return to the land He promised Abraham.  So, that would equal 100 years per generation, which would equal 400 years of oppression in a foreign land.  Although, I wonder if that includes the time they spent wandering in the wilderness.  

So, I don't know how long I would consider a generation to begin with.  

But, I would conclude that Jesus is not referring to the disciples as "this generation."  He is saying that "this generation" will witness all the things He has just described in Matthew 24.  

Thank you in advance for your thoughts on the subject.  :)

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

some figure bible reconing of a generation is 40 years. However, the word for generation, can also mean race, of maybe other things. The next question is, which generation is he speaking of or too?

My overall, short version of my understanding of these times is at http://omegazine.com/nutshell.html and my incomplete bible study on matt 24 itself is at http://omegazine.com/spiritual/eschatology/matt24.html if you are interested. Happy studying!

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

I am inclined not to take the notion of "generation" as meaning anything beyond the generation of people who are alive at the time to witness the things that Jesus said were coming. I doubt it means any specific number of years. This way of thinking prompted Hal Lindsey to predict that the rapture would occur 40 years from 1948. It is too vague in it's usage here, to know exactly what Jesus meant, and so it is improper to assume anything regarding that with great conviction.

Watchman Nee (quoted above) says:

"Some try to avoid the problem by changing “generation” into “race”—the race of the Jewish people. But this is unlikely because (1) Matthew 1.17 says, “So all the generations from Abraham unto David are fourteen generations”; (2) we must not alter a word simply because of a difficulty, and (3) had this word been “race” in its translation, then such an explanation would mean that the Jewish race has the possibility of being destroyed since the Lord in fact declares that “this generation shall not pass away till all these things be accomplished” (v.34)."

I think he is quite right in noting that the generations from Abraham to David are 14, points to a generation of people, a line of descendants. There, the context makes it clear that is how "generation is being used. That, however, says nothing what-so-ever about how Jesus is using it in Matt 24, and contributes nothing other than demonstrating that is does not have to mean race, or some other understanding. I think his point that using ""generation as "race" does tend to imply that the Jewish race might be extinguished after "all these things be accomplished" is valid and valuable, and in all likelyhood a correct observation.

However, the way the O.P. phrased the post, I did not want to do a lot to guide or misguide, I wanted to open up some options for consideration as the topic is examined and researched. So, at least at this juncture, I did not go into a lot of commentary in my post.

Regarding "generation", Thayers Lexicon says this:

Thayer's Greek Lexicon

STRONGS NT 1074: γενεά

γενεά, γενεάς, (ΓΑΝΩ, γίνομαι (crf. Curtius, p. 610)); the Sept. often for דּור; in Greek writings from Homer down;

1. a begetting, birth, nativity: Herodotus 3, 33; Xenophon, Cyril 1, 2, 8, etc.; (others make the collective sense the primary significance, see Curtius as above).

2. passively, that which has been begotten, men of the same stock, a family;

a. properly, as early as Homer; equivalent to מִשְׁפָּחַה, Genesis 31:3, etc. σῴζειν Ρ᾽αχαβην καί τήν γενεάν αὐτῆς, Josephus, Antiquities 5, 1, 5. the several ranks in a natural descent, the successive members of a genealogy: Matthew 1:17 (ἑβδόμῃ γενεά οὗτος ἐστιν ἀπό τοῦ πρώτου, Philo, vit. Moys. i. § 2).

b. metaphorically, a race of men very like each other in endowments, pursuits, character; and especially in a bad sense a perverse race: Matthew 17:17; Mark 9:19; Luke 9:41; Luke 16:8; (Acts 2:40).

3. the whole multitude of men living at the same time: Matthew 24:34; Mark 13:30; Luke 1:48 (πᾶσαι αἱ γενεαί); ; Philippians 2:15; used especially of the Jewish race living at one and the same period: Matthew 11:16; Matthew 12:39, 41f, 45; Matthew 16:4; Matthew 23:36; Mark 8:12, 38; Luke 11:29f, 32, 50; Luke 17:25; Acts 13:36; Hebrews 3:10; ἄνθρωποι τῆς γενεάς ταύτης, Luke 7:31; ἄνδρες τῆς γενεάς ταύτης, Luke 11:31; τήν δέ γενεάν αὐτοῦ τίς διηγήσεται, who can describe the wickedness of the present generation, Acts 8:33 (from Isaiah 53:8 the Sept.) (but cf. Meyer, at the passage).

4. an age (i. e. the time ordinarily occupied by each successive generation), the space of from 30 to 33 years (Herodotus 2, 142, et al.; Heraclitus in Plutarch, def. orac. c. 11), or χρόνος, ἐν γεννωντα παρέχει τόν ἐξ αὐτοῦ γεγεννημένον γεννησας (Plutarch, the passage cited); in the N. T. common in plural: Ephesians 3:5 (Winers Grammar, § 31, 9 a.; Buttmann, 186 (161)); παρῳχημέναις γενεαῖς in ages gone by, Acts 14:16; ἀπό τῶν γενεῶν for ages, since the generations began, Colossians 1:26; ἐκ γενεῶν ἀρχαίων from the generations of old, from ancient times down, Acts 15:21; εἰς γενεάς γενεῶν unto generations of generations, through all ages, forever (a phrase which assumes that the longer ages are made up of shorter; see αἰών, 1 a.): Luke 1:50 R L (דּורִים לְדור, Isaiah 51:8); εἰς γενεάς καί γενεάς unto generations and generations, ibid. T Tr WH equivalent to וָדור לְדור, Psalm 89:2; Isaiah 34:17; very often in the Sept.; (add, εἰς πάσας τάς γενεάς τοῦ αἰῶνος τῶν αἰώνων, Ephesians 3:21, cf. Ellicott at the passage) (γενεά is used of a century in Genesis 15:16, cf. Knobel at the passage, and on the senses of the word see the full remarks of Keim, iii. 206 (v. 245 English translation)).

Strongs says:

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance

age, generation

From (a presumed derivative of) genos; a generation; by implication, an age (the period or the persons) -- age, generation, nation, time.

My point is here, that the O.P. seems interested in searching these things out, and I truly want to encourage that. By providing some alternative possibilities for the word "generation", I am hopeful that the topic can be approaced without importing narrow, preconceptions to the text. Anyone who has read the opinions here on these sort of topics, knows that this is too often done. God Speed Esther4:14!

'

"v.34 “This generation”—The Greek text is genea, not aion. The Chinese deem 30 years to be a generation; the West reckons 40 years as such. Neither calculation is applicable here, for had it been either case, all these things would have had to have been fulfilled in the lifetime of those living at the time of Matthew and thus all would have become past history. On the basis of such an interpretation (that is, that the meaning of “generation” is in terms of a given period of years) the historians maintain that Matthew 24 is already past: they argue that Titus destroyed Jerusalem exactly 40 years after the Lord had spoken these words recorded here in verse 34 and that therefore the word “generation” is here used in its most general sense.

Some try to avoid the problem by changing “generation” into “race”—the race of the Jewish people. But this is unlikely because (1) Matthew 1.17 says, “So all the generations from Abraham unto David are fourteen generations”; (2) we must not alter a word simply because of a difficulty, and (3) had this word been “race” in its translation, then such an explanation would mean that the Jewish race has the possibility of being destroyed since the Lord in fact declares that “this generation shall not pass away till all these things be accomplished” (v.34).

How, then, should genea be explained? We should try to find the clue from the Old Testament:

“Thou wilt keep them, O Jehovah, thou wilt preserve them from this generation for ever” (Ps. 12.7). This is a generation not in terms of a physical, but a moral, relationship.

“They are a perverse and crooked generation” (Deut. 32.5). The genea (Hebrew, dor) here is not 30 or 40 years or even a lifetime. As long as perversity and crookedness last, just so is the duration of that generation.

“For they are a very perverse generation, children in whom is no faithfulness” (Dent. 32.20). The generation continues as long as unfaithfulness persists.

“There is a generation that curse their father, and bless not their mother. There is a generation that are pure in their own eyes, and yet are not washed from their filthiness. There is a generation, oh how lofty are their eyes! And their eyelids are lifted up. There is a generation whose teeth are as swords, and their jaw teeth as knives, to devour the poor from off the earth, and the needy from among men” (Prov. 30.11-14). Obviously, such a generation is not limited to a few decades or a lifetime; rather, it points to a period marked by certain immoral characteristics.

We may receive further light from the Gospel of Matthew itself:

“But whereunto shall I liken this generation. . .?” (11.16-19).

“An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it but the sign of Jonah the prophet . . . The men of Nineveh shall stand up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and behold, a greater than Jonah is here” (12.39,41).

“The queen of the south shall rise in the judgment with this generation . . . Even so shall it be also unto this evil generation” (12.42,45 ).

“All these things shall come upon this generation” (23.36).

This evil generation will last just as long as evil and adultery remain. Hence the meaning of genea in 24.34 is a period of time characterized by evil, adultery, perverseness, and crookedness. Such a period has not yet passed away, and will pass away only after all these things are accomplished.

“This generation” includes three classes of people: (1) the Gentiles who worship idols and reject God; (2) those Jews who reject Christ; and (3) the apostates—the so-called modernists. Before all these people pass away, all these things will be accomplished. The Lord will come and destroy them. Before the coming of the kingdom, all these things shall be fulfilled."

from http://www3.telus.net/trbrooks/Matthew_24.htm

That really makes a lot of sense to me.  It reminded me of Matthew 24:38 "For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark," which suggests that things will look the same.  Almost like a consistent thread in "this generation;" or, in other words, that "this generation" will not change in order to indicate the coming of the Son of Man.  

Almost like the New Covenant is a New Generation compared to the old, or Generation 2.0; and, all of us born after the resurrection of Christ represent "this generation," who will witness all of these things happening before He returns.  Thanks!

Edited by Esther4:14

My point is here, that the O.P. seems interested in searching these things out, and I truly want to encourage that. By providing some alternative possibilities for the word "generation", I am hopeful that the topic can be approaced without importing narrow, preconceptions to the text. Anyone who has read the opinions here on these sort of topics, knows that this is too often done. God Speed Esther4:14!

'

Thank you for the encouragement.  I personally would never have even considered "this generation" to represent race.  That seems a little off track, but then again there are many cultural differences in our use of language that can make some words difficult to understand sometimes.  We also have so many more words than ancient languages.  I think that makes it difficult for us to all agree sometimes because a word can sometimes be translated into many word in the English language with only slight changes to context.  I am also looking forward to checking out the links when I get some time.  :) 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

Question: "What did Jesus mean when He said, "this generation will not pass"?"

Answer: 
This quote of Jesus in regards to the end times is found in Matthew 24:34Mark 13:30; and Luke 21:32. Jesus said, "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place." The key to understanding what Jesus means is the context; that is, we must understand the verses that are surrounding verse 34, but especially the verses prior to it. In Matthew 24:4-31, Jesus is speaking of future events. The generation of people living when those events occur is the generation that Jesus speaks of "not passing" until He returns. Jesus had already told those living during His earthly ministry that the kingdom had been taken from them (Matthew 21:43). Therefore, it is imperative that Matthew 24-25 be seen as speaking of a future time. The word “generation” refers to the people alive in the future when the events of Matthew 24-25 will occur.

Another possibility is that Jesus was giving a prophecy with a "double fulfillment." Some of what He was predicting was going to occur during the time of the generation to whom He was speaking. Some of Jesus’ prophecy may have been fulfilled when the Romans destroyed Jerusalem in A.D. 70. However, other aspects of Jesus' prophecy did not occur in A.D. 70; for example, Matthew 24:29-31.The problem with this view is that it does not harmonize with Jesus' statement that "all these things" will take place in "this generation." Therefore, it is best to understand "this generation" as referring to the generation in which the end-times events occur.

Essentially, Jesus is saying that, once the events of the end times begin, they will happen quickly. This concept is echoed in many other Scriptures (Matthew 24:22Mark 13:20Revelation 3:1122:7,12,20).
http://www.gotquestions.org/this-generation-not-pass.html

Edited by bopeep1909

Guest Teditis

I've heard some say that it refers to the generation of the Jews/Israel passing away before the time of the gentiles takes over (so-to-speak),:unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

So, I was reading this verse again last night and I wanted to share what I learned if that's okay.  What Jesus is stressing in this verse is that the prophecy will not be changed.  It has been determined (Daniel 9:27).  It will not be changed (Revelation 22:18).  Therefore, the time frame that it takes for these things to take place, defines the concept of generation.  Therefore, this generation is the generation that existed when all His words concerning the prophecy were fulfilled.  However, the most important aspect when all is said and done, is that they were fulfilled and everything that He said would come to pass, did.  

So also, when you see all these things, you know that he is near, at the very gates.  Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place" (Matthew 24:33-34). 

It is like he is saying my words will be fulfilled, so be ready (Luke 12:35-48).  

Edited by Esther4:14

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I am interested in hearing other opinions about this crucial verses in Matthew 24.  

"So also, when you see all these things, you know that he is near, at the very gates.  Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place" (Matthew 24:33-34).  

I never really had an opinion about this verse before I realized how significant it was in separating opinions concerning prophecy within the body of Christ.  

Since then, I think that it is important to gain more clarity on this verse as we move forward in the times that we are living.  

I found from a basic Google search that according to Genesis 15:14-16, God defines a generation as 100 years because He tells Abraham that his descendants will be oppressed for 400 years.  Then, He tells Abraham that in the fourth generation they will return to the land He promised Abraham.  So, that would equal 100 years per generation, which would equal 400 years of oppression in a foreign land.  Although, I wonder if that includes the time they spent wandering in the wilderness.  

So, I don't know how long I would consider a generation to begin with.  

But, I would conclude that Jesus is not referring to the disciples as "this generation."  He is saying that "this generation" will witness all the things He has just described in Matthew 24.  

Thank you in advance for your thoughts on the subject.  :)

This seems to be an oft discussed theme among some boards. And you would be correct as generation used throughout the bible referred to a actual generation of people, about 100 years. Luk_1:50 "And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation." 

However something to keep in mind is that in the parallel of gospels when Jesus was speaking of this, he would often word it differently, but meaning the same thing. For example.

Mat_16:28  Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. 

Mar_9:1  And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power. 

Luk_9:27  But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God. 

Luk_21:32  Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled. 

God Bless.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

It is as He still speaks in parables to the world crowds so they cannot understand, and He explains in private to His disciples.

You are right about that. He spoke in parables so only those with the spirit could understand.

Mat_13:13  Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

Mat_15:10  And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand: 

Mar_4:9  And he said unto them, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear. 

2Co_4:3  But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: 

1Jn_2:20  But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.