jmldn2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.92
  • Days Won:  226

Gee, I thought that (the got questions cut and paste) was a well balanced presentation.

Thanks me too.I like their Ministry because it is solid Biblical truth.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I've heard as well that we are a soul with a body.  That clicks with me as well.

Thanks for all of the replies. 

I see soul (psyche( and spirit along with a body.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  4

Sometimes I get confused about what actually we mean by the words Soul, Spirit, Heart.  Are they 3 or do they all mean the same? 

The soul and spirit are distinct from each other. The spirit is dead in all human beings until they are born again by the power of the Holy Spirit. "The heart" is a metaphor for the soul, and the soul consists of your thoughts, your emotions, and your will -- your inner being. Man is a tripartite being with a body, a soul and a spirit.  The spirit communicates with God and understands the things of God.

Agreed.  

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.   I Thessalonians 5:23

As Ezra stated the heart and soul are pretty much the same this is why Jesus tells us let not your heart be troubled in John 14:1, 27b, while earlier in John's Gospel states His soul was troubled, John 12:27.  As believers we want to keep our hearts young, for faith comes from the heart: For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness, Romans 10:10a and Jesus tells us to be converted as little children, Matthew 18:3-4.   Our soul/heart is where we yearn for God.  The Holy Spirit resides in the believers heart giving us hope and God's love, Roman 5:5.  Hope keeps the heart cheerful but sorrow will break the spirit, Proverbs 15:13.   The soul is the presence one notices in the heart.

The spirit is spoken of many times by Paul: And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;  Ephesians 4:24  IMO Paul is telling us that the spirit is the presence we all notice in our mind or if you prefer one's intellectual.  For he tells us in Romans why we need to renew our minds:  24)  O wretched man that i am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?  25) I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord.  So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of God.  Romans 7:24-25  We renew our mind so that we may follow God.  Paul even tells us to bring every thought into obedience to Jesus, II Corinthians 10:5 and gives a great list of things to think on in Philippians 4:8.  When it comes to our spirit God would have us to all age in proper fashion, Hebrews 5:13-14.

As for our body, it for a Christian is more than just a temporal place for our soul and spirit.   Because when we are born again it become the Temple of God.  For God the Holy Spirit dwells in it now, I Corinthians 3:16; 6:19-20.  So that God is concern about our mind (spirit), soul (heart) and body.  Because with our hearts we believe in faith and by renewing  our minds we can be obedient;  and as for the body the Holy Spirit desire a honorable vessel, II Timothy 2:20

Just the two cent worth from an aged soul and a young spirit neither of which do I consider a good thing.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.71
  • Days Won:  37

Sometimes I get confused about what actually we mean by the words Soul, Spirit, Heart.  Are they 3 or do they all mean the same? 

The soul and spirit are distinct from each other. The spirit is dead in all human beings until they are born again by the power of the Holy Spirit. "The heart" is a metaphor for the soul, and the soul consists of your thoughts, your emotions, and your will -- your inner being. Man is a tripartite being with a body, a soul and a spirit.  The spirit communicates with God and understands the things of God.

Agreed.  

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.   I Thessalonians 5:23

As Ezra stated the heart and soul are pretty much the same this is why Jesus tells us let not your heart be troubled in John 14:1, 27b, while earlier in John's Gospel states His soul was troubled, John 12:27.  As believers we want to keep our hearts young, for faith comes from the heart: For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness, Romans 10:10a and Jesus tells us to be converted as little children, Matthew 18:3-4.   Our soul/heart is where we yearn for God.  The Holy Spirit resides in the believers heart giving us hope and God's love, Roman 5:5.  Hope keeps the heart cheerful but sorrow will break the spirit, Proverbs 15:13.   The soul is the presence one notices in the heart.

The spirit is spoken of many times by Paul: And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;  Ephesians 4:24  IMO Paul is telling us that the spirit is the presence we all notice in our mind or if you prefer one's intellectual.  For he tells us in Romans why we need to renew our minds:  24)  O wretched man that i am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?  25) I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord.  So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of God.  Romans 7:24-25  We renew our mind so that we may follow God.  Paul even tells us to bring every thought into obedience to Jesus, II Corinthians 10:5 and gives a great list of things to think on in Philippians 4:8.  When it comes to our spirit God would have us to all age in proper fashion, Hebrews 5:13-14.

As for our body, it for a Christian is more than just a temporal place for our soul and spirit.   Because when we are born again it become the Temple of God.  For God the Holy Spirit dwells in it now, I Corinthians 3:16; 6:19-20.  So that God is concern about our mind (spirit), soul (heart) and body.  Because with our hearts we believe in faith and by renewing  our minds we can be obedient;  and as for the body the Holy Spirit desire a honorable vessel, II Timothy 2:20

Just the two cent worth from an aged soul and a young spirit neither of which do I consider a good thing.

I would also say that it is with the body our worship finds expression to God and our love of neighbor finds expression to one another.

Without the body we cannot minister to those in need.

As scripture tells us without  the body it is impossible to demonstrate our faith and as we know without faith it is impossible to please God:

Faith and Deeds

James 2

14What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it?17In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

18But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

20You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is uselessd ? 21Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did23And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,”e and he was called God’s friend. 24You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

25In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

James 1

27Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.