kwikphilly

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  521
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

I'm 19, I'm not married. I don't have children. None of that invalidates my opinion. I think the officer overreacted but I don't think he should have been fired. The fact is she chose to act big enough to put her hands on a cop so it's on her head what happened. Or maybe on her parents for raising a kid with no manners who thinks that the rules are only for other people.

Also the officer was put in a no win situation that did not require police intervention. Teachers have begun using SRO's as rule enforcement rather than law enforcement creating a situation that is unfair to the officers and students both.

Just from the video clip, it looks like she is defending herself, not provoking the attack, unless there is a piece of the video that is missing.

I agree with your second point. Police intervention here was unnecessary. The school should have just suspended her, and if she arrives on campus after suspension, then she should be arrested. But, the school should handle minor school disruptions. Obviously, if weapons or assault is involved, then law enforcement should be called in, but barring that, I'm amazed that schools are ''using'' the police in this way. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  140
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  01/20/1987

I'm 19, I'm not married. I don't have children. None of that invalidates my opinion. I think the officer overreacted but I don't think he should have been fired. The fact is she chose to act big enough to put her hands on a cop so it's on her head what happened. Or maybe on her parents for raising a kid with no manners who thinks that the rules are only for other people.

Also the officer was put in a no win situation that did not require police intervention. Teachers have begun using SRO's as rule enforcement rather than law enforcement creating a situation that is unfair to the officers and students both.

Just from the video clip, it looks like she is defending herself, not provoking the attack, unless there is a piece of the video that is missing.

I agree with your second point. Police intervention here was unnecessary. The school should have just suspended her, and if she arrives on campus after suspension, then she should be arrested. But, the school should handle minor school disruptions. Obviously, if weapons or assault is involved, then law enforcement should be called in, but barring that, I'm amazed that schools are ''using'' the police in this way. 

As far as I know, the police were called because she was disrupting class and would not leave on her own. This is according to the statement released by Sheriff Lott of the Richland County Sheriff's department.

https://www.facebook.com/RichlandCountySheriffsDepartment/posts/1188188981196678

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

Yes, if my daughter hit a cop then it'd be on her what happened. But I intend to raise my children to know better.

You need to read the news article; she mouthed off and refused to leave the classroom.  She hit at the cop after he grabbed her.  I sure hope you learn to protect your family before you have one.  Your comments are easy to espouse now when you have no children.  Raise them all you want, any way you want but they become thinking adults in their teens.  See if you're still saying these things when you actually HAVE a 14 year old of either gender. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  24
  • Birthday:  10/15/1996

Yes, if my daughter hit a cop then it'd be on her what happened. But I intend to raise my children to know better.

You need to read the news article; she mouthed off and refused to leave the classroom.  She hit at the cop after he grabbed her.  I sure hope you learn to protect your family before you have one.  Your comments are easy to espouse now when you have no children.  Raise them all you want, any way you want but they become thinking adults in their teens.  See if you're still saying these things when you actually HAVE a 14 year old of either gender. 

My brother is 15. He was removed from class by the SRO for talking. Know what my brother didn't do? Hit the officer, mouth off to him, or refuse to comply. Know what didn't happen to my brother? He didn't get hit or mouthed off to by the officer...sure seems to be a correlation there.

As far as I know, the police were called because she was disrupting class and would not leave on her own. This is according to the statement released by Sheriff Lott of the Richland County Sheriff's department.

https://www.facebook.com/RichlandCountySheriffsDepartment/posts/1188188981196678

Kids across America do this these days. It doesn't warrant the cops being called. You finish class, and then suspend her...that's what the school should have done. THEN, if she shows up on campus the next day, the police should be called. This incident was not necessary. The school acted foolishly, and so did the cop. The kid is a kid...and yea, she is in the wrong too, but again, she isn't the first kid to 'disrupt' a class. Imagine if cops were called in for every time a kid disrupted a class and a school can't handle it? There wouldn't be enough cops to handle actual crimes.

Cops have a tough job, but this incident was unnecessary, and now he lost his job because his behavior was deplorable. If the teacher had assaulted the student like that, he/she would have been arrested. 

And the other part of the story is, that there seems to be a lot of problems with teenagers today, in general. Even middle school age, from what I read. (I don't have kids) The bigger problem is why are these kids acting out and refusing authority? Maybe because mom is too busy with her dating life and so is dad. Mom and dad aren't together, so these kids are angry, and have no place to vent their anger. Not making excuses, but assaulting kids, dragging them physically out of classrooms and not getting them REAL help ...only compounds the problem. There's definitely a problem with kids and anger these days, and it comes from their home life, me thinks. It's just very sad. People want to blame this 14 yr old girl and give the cop who is an adult, a pass? No. He was wrong. She was wrong too, but she is only 14 and clearly troubled. I have more compassion for her, than I do an adult male who should know better than to have treated her that way. 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

I think it is difficult to say how you would handle a situation like this if you have never had a family. 

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

I think everyone's opinion is EQUALLY valid and a person should have the right to say what their opinion is without being dismissed.  There are people in this world who probably should have given their children up for adoption instead of raising them-- shall we screen them out of the discussion too? 

I think there was a few bad choices made all the way around. The girl made bad choices, the Teacher & school officials  who called the Police to get involved made bad choices and the Policeman made bad choices...

Lesson number one: If a Police Officer tells you to stop, you stop. If they tell you to put your hands down, you put your hands down. Some people like to learn this lesson the hard way no matter what age they are.   

Beyond that I would teach my children to be polite, respectful, and obey the Teacher so a cop wouldn't get called to deal with them.

It is unfortunate that the Police were called, the school obviously felt they couldn't handle this kid. I doubt if this was her first act of defiance.  Perhaps they should have evacuated the classroom and left the kid there and told her parent to come and get her and dealt with it that way.  

I didn't see anyone being screened out of anything in this thread or dismissed.  I DID see comments, including my own, to the effect that you really can't say how successful your child rearing efforts will be until you actually have one that has become a teenager.  That's just plain old common sense:rolleyes:

I think everyone's opinion is EQUALLY valid and a person should have the right to say what their opinion is without being dismissed.  There are people in this world who probably should have given their children up for adoption instead of raising them-- shall we screen them out of the discussion too? 

I think there was a few bad choices made all the way around. The girl made bad choices, the Teacher & school officials  who called the Police to get involved made bad choices and the Policeman made bad choices...

Lesson number one: If a Police Officer tells you to stop, you stop. If they tell you to put your hands down, you put your hands down. Some people like to learn this lesson the hard way no matter what age they are.   

Beyond that I would teach my children to be polite, respectful, and obey the Teacher so a cop wouldn't get called to deal with them.

It is unfortunate that the Police were called, the school obviously felt they couldn't handle this kid. I doubt if this was her first act of defiance.  Perhaps they should have evacuated the classroom and left the kid there and told her parent to come and get her and dealt with it that way.  

I didn't see anyone being screened out of anything in this thread or dismissed.  I DID see comments, including my own, to the effect that you really can't say how successful your child rearing efforts will be until you actually have one that has become a teenager.  That's just plain old common sense:rolleyes:

Yes,Morning.You are right.You do not know until you are put in that position.

Thank you again for being dismissive.

Thank you again for being dismissive.

You are welcome :)