• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,193
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

3 hours ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

It also depends on tolerances.  The Walther being German built has tight tolerances.  It came with a target from the factory showing point of aim 1/4" off center at 15 yards.  Without warm-up, my wife looks at the factory target, makes an adjustment, and put's her first shot ever with the Walther dead set in the middle of the target at 15 yards.  She then tells me she allowed for the sights being 1/4" off.  That's a true story.

I don't do a lot of target shooting with the .380.  I carry it strictly defense and will rarely be aimed in real use.  I do have a laser sight on it but in a real need I practice 5 to 10 yards from the hip for two shots then aim.  I have a laser bullet that looks like a bullet and every time I pull the trigger it puts a red dot wherever the barrel is pointed. Stays in the barrel until removed.  Costs about $80 dollars, but saves a lot on amo practicing point and shoot.

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

8 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

I am being gifted a 9mm  this week.  It's a Ruger.  I am really excited. Never fired a Ruger before.  I don't know which kind it is, yet.  Anyone every fired a Ruger?

Ive fired several, I personally own a Rugar Mini-30 rifle (7.62x39) and I like it in the summer time, good shooter, lighweight, balance is a little off but not bad. Only problem is in the winter time, if I get any snow in the action it freezes up and jams, so I dont take it hunting. Ive thought about selling it a few times, but can't get myself to do it, since it was the first gun I ever owned, and I inherited from my step grandpa after he died when I was 19.

Ive also fired my brothers Rugar GP100, its a 357 Revolver with a 6 inch barrel...a lot of kick for my taste, but a very capable firearm, capable of very long distances, my father in law has a rugar revolver that shoots .45 long colt and .45 ACP, and ive fired multiple Rugar .22 revolvers. Ive never fired a rugar semi auto pistol, though ive looked at a few at gun shows they look like they have the same rough and tough rugar quality, just havent found one with a grip that fits my hand yet-at least not one I can conceal easily.

2 minutes ago, the_patriot2015 said:

Ive fired several, I personally own a Rugar Mini-30 rifle (7.62x39) and I like it in the summer time, good shooter, lighweight, balance is a little off but not bad. Only problem is in the winter time, if I get any snow in the action it freezes up and jams, so I dont take it hunting. Ive thought about selling it a few times, but can't get myself to do it, since it was the first gun I ever owned, and I inherited from my step grandpa after he died when I was 19.

I've been told that a little spray with WD40 just before you go out into the cold will help that jamming from the cold.    I haven't been out in it personally, but several of my law enforcement friends suggested it.

Maybe I'll try that in the future...no need to now though, I've got plenty of other rifles to use when I'm hunting, including my Remington .270. Nice, simple, reliable, bolt action. Takes down whatever it hits. I appreciate the advice though-may try it out, it does make a good coyote gun.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

I have a .357 Ruger I had since 1976, nice gun, good shooter but too big for conceal carry. I also have a 9mm Smith & Wesson, nice gun, shoots good but also too big for conceal carry pending on the cloths I'm wearing. For my 24/7 conceal carry I use a cheap (less then $300.00) Kel-Tec P-11, 9mm with three 10 round mags. and shoots great, only had it jam once because of cheap ammo. Now I buy top quality ammo. or reload my own, for what factory ammo cost it is better for me to buy 9mm rounds then to take the time to reload it, but it is nice to be able to reload if I need to. I can see in the future (God willing) that I might buy a 40 cal. semi-auto.

I don't have any modern tactical weapons but I do own a WWII original M1 Carbine and it is a sweet shooter, with open sights hitting a softball at 100 yards is no problem. The M1 Carbine will shoot any brand of ammo the same, even the reloads I load for it. I bought the Carbine off my son's Father-in-Law for $500.00. I did some research on the Carbine and by the proof markings I could see it actually was used during WWII. We were at the range one day and I asked My son's Father-in-Law if he wanted to shoot a couple rounds out of the Carbine, he shot a mag. out of it and wanted to buy it back. (LOL aaaaa NO) 

1 minute ago, oldzimm said:

I have a .357 Ruger I had since 1976, nice gun, good shooter but too big for conceal carry. I also have a 9mm Smith & Wesson, nice gun, shoots good but also too big for conceal carry pending on the cloths I'm wearing. For my 24/7 conceal carry I use a cheap (less then $300.00) Kel-Tec P-11, 9mm with three 10 round mags. and shoots great, only had it jam once because of cheap ammo. Now I buy top quality ammo. or reload my own, for what factory ammo cost it is better for me to buy 9mm rounds then to take the time to reload it, but it is nice to be able to reload if I need to. I can see in the future (God willing) that I might buy a 40 cal. semi-auto.

I don't have any modern tactical weapons but I do own a WWII original M1 Carbine and it is a sweet shooter, with open sights hitting a softball at 100 yards is no problem. The M1 Carbine will shoot any brand of ammo the same, even the reloads I load for it. I bought the Carbine off my son's Father-in-Law for $500.00. I did some research on the Carbine and by the proof markings I could see it actually was used during WWII. We were at the range one day and I asked My son's Father-in-Law if he wanted to shoot a couple rounds out of the Carbine, he shot a mag. out of it and wanted to buy it back. (LOL aaaaa NO) 

I don't think I could see a softball at a hundred yards these days...

BTW if you come to Oklahoma, it is not legal to carry a weapon with reloads in the weapon.   Only factory loads are permitted.

BTW where in the world do you put the extra two mags carrying?

12 minutes ago, other one said:

I don't think I could see a softball at a hundred yards these days...

BTW if you come to Oklahoma, it is not legal to carry a weapon with reloads in the weapon.   Only factory loads are permitted.

BTW where in the world do you put the extra two mags carrying?

I would be concern of a law that says I couldn't use reloaded ammunition, it sounds like government control of ammo. under the disguise of safety. The government can control the amount of factory ammunition being sold just by buying it, but they have no idea how much reloaded ammunition is out there and how much of the components used for reloading are out there. I buy powder, primers, bullets and brass when ever I get a chance and stock up. (keep it dry)

Besides the holster on my belt I carry a two mag. holder on my belt. Now I know that is a total of thirty rounds, probably twenty rounds more then I should really need to get out of a hairy situation. I don't always carry three mags, when at work I also carry a Leatherman utility knife, not to be over burden with all these holders on my belt I replace one of the mags with the Leatherman. If you want to carry an extra mag, a Leatherman knife case makes for a nice mag holder for your belt and you don't need to buy a leatherman to get one, you can buy them separate. The holster I use for my Smith & Wesson has an extra mag holder built right in it.

The key to carrying an extra mag(s) is to keep them in the same place on you all the time and to have the front of the mag where it will be touching your index finger as you pull it out of the holder. Reason for having the front of your mag at the index finger is less fumbling in a tight situation should you need to reload. Your shooting hand drops your empty mag and your hand with the mag facing the index finger is naturally already facing the right direction to go into the gun.

My conceal carry is the Taurus pt 24/7 I may have mentioned earlier, in the .40 S&W caliber. I carry 16 rounds-15 round mag + 1 in the chamber. I don't carry spare mags unless I'm carrying my 1911 (rare in town, all the time in the woods) in which case I carry 2 7 round mags plus the 8 round in the gun.

As far as ww2 rifles are concerned, I have 2, a mosin nagant made in 1943, unsure if it was action or not, and a Japanese arisaka type 38 carbine, made in 1939. Judging by the intact chrysanthemum, or mum for short, it most likely saw action and was a war souvenir. This mum was the sign of the emperor-it meant it was the emperors property. Any exported guns didn't have them, and it was dishonorable to let anything with this symbol fall into enemy hands, so before willingly surrendering the weapon, Japanese soldiers would deface it, usually by grinding it off or etching circles in it. An intact one meant it was likely taken off a dead soldier who didn't have time to deface it.

I got the rifle from my grandfather, and had grand images of taking it hunting, even loaded up some rounds for it, the only problem is the person who had it before my grandfather was an idiot and had sporterized it. He cut the stock down to make it easier to carry, bent the bolt to accommodate a scope (which did not come with the gun) and apparently, (least I suspect this is the case) filed the front sight down so it wouldn't block the scope. So now I have a gun I can't shoot last 25 yards, at 100 it hits 2 1/2 feet to high. And finding parts for this weapon is difficult-and expensive, so its collecting dust until I can do something for it.

It's even a difficult rifle to find ammo for, I literally had to buy brass and bullets and load it myself. The 6.5 x 50 Jap is not a common round, and while it's still made its usually only made once a year and is difficult to find and very expensive. If I wasn't a reloader, I probably would not be able to shoot it at all.

I love historic weapons, have not fired a m1 before, or the Thompson but both are on my bucket list.

24 minutes ago, oldzimm said:

I would be concern of a law that says I couldn't use reloaded ammunition, it sounds like government control of ammo. under the disguise of safety.

I am friends with the people who wrote our law and they were concerned with hot loads that  not only are a danger to police, but also to people behind those you deem necessary to shoot.    Also I used to have an old Bryco .380 that I loaded a few rounds that ruptured the barrel of the gun and nearly took my hand off.   Luckily it blew the top of the thing up instead of going down or out of the side.

55 minutes ago, other one said:

I am friends with the people who wrote our law and they were concerned with hot loads that  not only are a danger to police, but also to people behind those you deem necessary to shoot.    Also I used to have an old Bryco .380 that I loaded a few rounds that ruptured the barrel of the gun and nearly took my hand off.   Luckily it blew the top of the thing up instead of going down or out of the side.

True reloading takes a great deal of caution, when I reload for a new round I try my best to start the load process 10% below the maximum load called for in the manuals and I only change one component at a time. Keep an eye on the empty shell cases, they will show you when there is excessive pressure.