IGNORED

Sanctification - a process or a finished work?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,045
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1976

i've always wondered about how people refer to the "process of sanctification" -- because in light of this

When he said above, “You have neither desired nor taken pleasure in sacrifices and offerings and burnt offerings and sin offerings” (these are offered according to the law), then he added, “Behold, I have come to do your will.” He does away with the first in order to establish the second. And by that will we
have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
(Hebrews 10:8-10)

it seems to me that we are already sanctified - and that our goodness now, from the point of believing the gospel onward, is a thing that should be in keeping with the reality of the righteousness that God has already declared us to have, and clothed us with, not a means by which to effect a state of "more sanctified sanctification"  
i guess i just have a hard time seeing how something that has been declared holy already can be continually made more and more holy - but more as Paul put it to the Corinthians, we are "truly unleavened" already, therefore we ought to "purge out the old leaven" - because we no longer have any part with the old things of the world, being set apart already by the redemption and atonement of Christ's work for us and in us. 
probably there is a failure of language in here somewhere. 

thoughts? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

1 hour ago, post said:

i've always wondered about how people refer to the "process of sanctification" -- because in light of this

When he said above, “You have neither desired nor taken pleasure in sacrifices and offerings and burnt offerings and sin offerings” (these are offered according to the law), then he added, “Behold, I have come to do your will.” He does away with the first in order to establish the second. And by that will we
have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

it seems to me that we are already sanctified - and that our goodness now, from the point of believing the gospel onward, is a thing that should be in keeping with the reality of the righteousness that God has already declared us to have, and clothed us with, not a means by which to effect a state of "more sanctified sanctification"  
i guess i just have a hard time seeing how something that has been declared holy already can be continually made more and more holy - but more as Paul put it to the Corinthians, we are "truly unleavened" already, therefore we ought to "purge out the old leaven" - because we no longer have any part with the old things of the world, being set apart already by the redemption and atonement of Christ's work for us and in us. 

thoughts? 

In my view, there are two kinds of sanctification. Entire sanctification and continuing sanctification.

Sanctification is the setting apart. In a Christian context, sanctification would be setting apart for God's use. 

In sight of being set apart for God's use, Jesus did it all. We have been sanctified. Separated for God's use. That would be entire sanctification. At the same time, scripture speaks of being conformed to Jesus. While in an instant we are saved and sanctified for God's use, there is a continuing work where by through work of the Holy Spirit, our thoughts are changed to come into agreement with God's design. As this occurs, more of our lives (thoughts, emotions, understanding) become sanctified for God's use. That would be the process of continuing sanctification. 

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.69
  • Days Won:  37

2 hours ago, post said:

thoughts? 

He is speaking of our initial sanctification.

Not our final state.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

When Jeremiah was told that he was sanctified while in his mothers womb, he was marked, declaired holy for God's use, and set aside as a prophet for God.   

I like the way that that Campus Crusade puts it.  We have different rooms in our house and we are in the center.  Some of us allow God into the living room like a guest when we ask Jesus to forgive us of our sins.  Others say my house is your house and allow Him free access to all areas.  I allowed Him access to the room that was my trouble area, my kitchen, which He put into order.  Then I gave Him another room which He made spotless.  Finally I threw up my hands and told Him that He could have it all.  I had made such a mess of my life and He did such a good job with the areas I gave Him, I just signed over the title to Him.  That is total surrender.  Now I live there is His bond-slave.

We are never totally without sin until we get to heaven.  But as long as we stay in fellowship with Him and walk according to the light given us, the blood of Jesus continually cleanses us from all sin.  If we willfully and knowingly sin so that we break that fellowship, if we confess our sin He is gracious and just to forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  If we say we have no sin, we lie and the truth is not in us.

There is still sin in my life that I am blind to because I am accustomed to it and it may even be part of our culture.  Until God shines His light on it I continue to live with it, whether it be an attitude that is not the best or a habit that is imperfect.  

Romans 12:2 ESV Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God.

Eph.. 5:25b-27 ESV  as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for Her, that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water BY THE WORD, so that He might present the church to Himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish.

Titus 3:4-7  But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, He saved us not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to HIS OWN MERCY, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being JUSTIFIED BY HIS GRACE we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.   

Romans 6:19b ESV For just as you once surrendered your members to impurity and lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness leading to sanctification.  22 But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life.  For the wages of sin is death, but the FREE GIFT of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.  

1 Thess. 4:3-5  ESV  For this is the will of God, your sanctiication: that you abstain for sexual immorality;  That each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God;

Heb. 10:9-10 Then He added "Behold, I have come to do your will."  He does away with the first [sacrifices and offerings] in order to establish the second.  And by that WE HAVE BEEN SANCTIFIED through the offering of the body of Christ once for all.

1 Cor. 6:11 And such were some of you.  But you were washed, you were sanctified,, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

2 Cor 3:16, 18  ESV But when one turns tto the Lord, the veil is removed..  18 And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, ARE BEING TRANSFORMED into the same image from one degree of glory to another..  For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

As Theresa has said,  I have been saved, I am being saved (matured and delievered from imperfections), and I will be saved (when my body is redeemed and I am made perfect like Jesus with a glorified body.)  

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

There are three tenses to sanctification: Christians are sanctified when they receive the gift of the Holy Spirit (past). Then they are progressively sanctified by being changed into the image of Christ (present). Finally, they shall be perfect at the Resurrection/Rapture (future). 

There is a false theory out there that Christians can become sinlessly perfect while still in their mortal bodies.  That teaching is not found in Scripture, since every epistles exhorts us to "grow in grace", and even Paul recognized that he was not as perfect as he could be, or should be, and would be.

There is another false teaching out there called Purgatory, where Christians are supposedly purified by fire. That is a misapplication of the judgement of our works through metaphorical "fire".

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  71
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/19/1975

21 hours ago, post said:

thoughts? 

if you follow joseph prince teachings, pretty much like below:

1. Only JESUS can give passport to heaven. Not by hard work, not by anything else. We call it by grace. The work in calvary is mentiond as only 1 way to go to heaven. Hebrew 10:8-10
2. Relationship between redeemed and redeemer is paramount. That's why bible say work on your salvation. Not work to get passport, but work to build relationship.
3. Joseph Prince believes in OSAS. Once saved always saved. But saved does not mean you have a big house in heaven. Big house in heaven is depend on reward based on relationship value.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

29)  That no flesh should glory in His presence.   30)  But of Him are ye in Christ Jesus Who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:  31)  That according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.    I Corinthians 1:29-30   Yes I would agree that Christ is our Sanctification; but we are set apart made holy by the Holy Spirit that is the Spirit of Christ indwelling us.   So as Ezra stated our Sanctification is in the past as we are completely made Holy by the Sacrifice of Yeshua.  But as the Holy Spirit indwells us we have the opportunity to serve the Lord and allow the Holy Spirit to conform us into the image of Christ.  We are saved by grace as Ephesians 2:8-9 tells us but we all need to remember to read the next verse which states:  For we are His workmanship created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.  Ephesians 2:10  Yes our salvation come from Christ and no work that we can produce will help, but the Work of the Holy Spirit in our hearts is the work of setting us apart/making us Holy and leading us to our present Sanctification of becoming more of the image of the Only Begotten Son of God.

When we allow God to work thru our lives by His Holy Ghost, we become the vessels of honor which are sanctified that Paul tells Timothy about in II Timothy 2::19-21.  One is sanctify by Christ but if we do not depart from iniquity are salvation and sanctification is sure but the process by which God grows us into the image of His Son or growing into His Holiness/Sanctification is stalled and we are vessels of dishonor.   3)  For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication.  4)  That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour.   I Thessalonians 4:3-4

We are truly completely set apart at Christ Second Coming.  2)  Beloved now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be; but we know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is.  3)  And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as He is pure.  I John 3:2-3  At Jesus 2nd Coming we shall be made heavenly, I Corinthians 15:49.  For Christ our Lord will change our vile bodies and fashioned them like unto His Glorious Body at His appearing see Philippians 3:20-21.  For now with our limited knowledge of God's Word we see dimly/darkly but when our faces see Christ Face we shall know even as we are known, I Corinthians 13:12.  We shall have perfect Sanctification when our bodies are made heavenly and glorious just as are resurrected Savior.

For both He that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of One: for which cause He is not ashamed to call them brethren.  Hebrews 2:11  Yes our sanctification comes from the works of Christ, but even though Christ has finished His work, He has left us His Church to carry on His work of reconciliation we are His ambassadors, II Corinthians 5:20-21.  As His ambassadors, we need to be faithful stewards, I Corinthians 4:2, by keeping our bodies under control for God's service, I Corinthians 9:27.