IGNORED

How do I know that I am not falling for the new age gimmicks?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  0

On 09/03/2016 at 0:30 PM, Kan said:

Cats are a good example for people who suffer from obsessive thinking, paranoia, and tremendous needs for affection and security, as well as the need to explore new territory every now and then, getting into danger and fights. Try begging for attention with a loud and sweet voice, sleep lots, have really long showers, baths and lay in the sun, preen yourself for hours, and find a spot where you get lots of affection and food. Don't forget the karate lessons and roaming the streets at 3 am. All good therapy.

yes i had a cat once and he just knew when i was bad. in fact through my cat i learnt  to not get so deep into the darkness. because when i did it actually affected his health! so yes he was a marvelous teacher. and i do so miss him. been gone 5 years now. my bro last night was trying to encourage me to get a dog as i have mentioned it from time to time and it had been a while since i had mentioned it. 

but i hesitate as with the cat i mentioned he was needing frequent treatment and that kinda wore me out. it was a 32 mile round trip long story. ah but my cat wasn't one for going far but he did a number of cat fights on one occasion  i was witness to one and it looked like a fast spinning washing machine.

19 hours ago, ethrayn said:

GOD can fulfill every void in your life!  Total dependence on Him is one of the Greatest things I ever have experienced. God can be all of your passions.  Hope you will find healing through our Wonderful Savior!

ethrayn not sure about the total dependence on Him it is a working progress...

6 hours ago, existential mabel said:

ethrayn not sure about the total dependence on Him it is a working progress...

Hope for the best for you.  God’s blessings to you in your life and in help for your struggles!

1 hour ago, ethrayn said:

Hope for the best for you.  God’s blessings to you in your life and in help for your struggles!

:)

On 12/03/2016 at 6:44 PM, angels4u said:

:emot-heartbeat:Sorry!!!

I don't know why I used the name Rachel...apologies!!!!:taped:

doh! :doh:only a rabbit would mix his toasties!! :emot-heartbeat:

Edited by existential mabel

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  17
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  02/20/2001

Hello, firstly I would like to say I am sorry you are dealing with this, I can very literally relate as I myself was diagnosed with depression. I know how dark things can seem. How apathy takes you over. But there is definitely hope. Although I do believe God healed me. Honestly the very best thing to do is pray. ( I know, probably not the answer you were hoping for. ) Pray for God to lift your burdens, ask for HIS will to be done in your life in HIS own time. One of the first steps towards happiness I took was sitting and really thinking about My purpose, abut how God himself created me and put me here, and that really humbled me and definitely lifted My spirit. And also realize God does everything in his own time, for me when I started praying it seemed useless, ( Even ineffective. ) but gradually God changed My heart, and after that things started moving quicker for me and I didn't feel depressed anymore. I also ultimately realized that I am here to serve God and that really made me want to do My best, and put everything I have into everything I do. Sorry for the long reply, I just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone, that God really is there for you, no matter what you do. You will be in My prayers. God bless you.

hello Godbwye and welcome to the forum
dont get here so much these days for various reasons Zzzzzz. yes prayer is beginning to feel like it is not just a, "oh go away and pray"..(as i have run out of ideas...).

just recently i have made the attempt to pray. a few weeks ago i went on a silent retreat. and really that was an amazing experience. a definite before and after watershed.

yes purpose. i have yet to figure that one out. but God has i would say changed my heart somewhat. i now experience peace in my thinking whereas before  i had rapid thinking constantly for several years. and when i went to the retreat. Immediately as i got out of the car a change started to happen. praise God that is still the case. so so so grateful for this. however i continue to be vigilant about exposing myself to things that trigger me. need to incubate this for a while for it to be a kind of rock bed of my being.

many thanks for your prayers and for sharing your experience as mh (mental health) is still a taboo subject.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 3/6/2016 at 2:53 PM, existential mabel said:

I struggle with both anxiety and depression and over the years I have tried and done much to prevent myself from getting into such a black pit of, blah blah blah

Just lately I am listening to some music that is for various things like happiness, helping with falling asleep to name a couple. In the run up to Christmas last year I was in a dark place and I looked on the web for help. I use this music to get through the day and when I am at my parents to manage my anxiety/depression levels.

For 2 years or more I had not been able to listen to any music as it triggered anxiety/depression. I stopped looking at yahoo news as I had anxiety from the sheer volume of negativity. Not like I can do anything to change it. So I decided to no longer read it.

I know we are not supposed to do things in our own strength. I am not sure where listening to this music comes in where that is concerned. The medication is pitifully rubbish and anyway I read something that anti depression medication and serotonin levels are not scientifically proven. But the pharmaceuticals companies still make the claim that by taking anti depressants it will help with the chemical imbalance. Ie serotonin levels.

anyway by taking medication isn’t that trying to do things in my own strength? The next thing that springs to mind is why God won’t heal me from the curse of mh? I mean it’s totally robbed me of any meaningful life. Life is just about managing the mh and not much room for anything else. So why does God sit back and watch me being so inept. What does this serve for Him or me?

I constantly feel disconnection like I am not plugged in. everything feels grey and now I am having to fake it to even keep to a “basic normal” surely God doesn’t want this for my life?

I would suggest that anything you cannot back up in scripture is something you want nothing to do with.  As for my own opinion, I don't take anything medically for things people tag as depression or anxiety.  I just know for me it's my faith that is going to get me through things that come after me.  The Bible says we battle not against flesh and blood, but of powers of the air.  I cannot buckle under things of this world.  I want my faith to work for me and not medication.  Some people need it, and I"m grateful that there are things that some people can take to help them.  I believe God works through medicine and doctors too.

thanks RustyAngeL

it is now 4 months now that i have stopped taking medication as it was not addressing the hollowness inside and never ever did and  what with side effects. so i do get you there. i wonder if my malaise isnt purely spiritual. which is why i joined this forum. not big on debates though which is why i am not around much.

The Bible says we battle not against flesh and blood, but of powers of the air.

whilst at my sisters i happened to start joining up some spiritual dots i think, with regards to my sisters many challenges. (some of which are inherited through the family lines) could all be a figment of my imagination..and i dont know whether to broach it with her at some point. but it is a very touchy subject and i am not that brave.

I want my faith to work for me and not medication.

faith hey once i can get my head out of the rabbit hole long enough...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I have always used music to help me especially when I was depressed. In the early 2000's, I was very physically ill, unable to do much, and I just felt like giving up on life.  I even stopped reading my Bible, praying and going to church.

I would pull out some of my old 60's and 70's music and listen to the sad songs. The I would feel prompted to listen to one Christian song, then another. Next thing you know, I was praising God, and slept like a baby.

In the end, I improved physically, but the depression and bitterness were still there. But God told me to read 5 Psalms a day. I did for a while, and God showed me amazing things about people and who he was!  In the end, I found a good church, started exercising and went back to playing music in church, and it turned me right around.

Now, that is not the kind of depression you have, I know - mine was circumstantial. Although, I have been through tremendous pain the last year, when the meds failed, but God had helped me grow enough that I did not go through that deep horrible depression, like I did before.

I think listening to the right kind of music is not new age - find Christian music that offers hope in Christ. And try reading the psalms every day. I heard Billy Graham did that, which is part of what inspired me. And try to get to a church and make friends, although that may seem impossible right now. But make it a future goal.

As for healing, there are no promises in the Bible we will get healing, despite the twisting of the Bible by some groups. Instead, God promises us - HIM!  

I do believe that you can improve but it will mean climbing out of that pit. And since it is too hard to do on your own, let us help you!  That is what the body of Christ is for.

Praying and God bless!