IGNORED

Christianity and Cults Throughout History

20 hours ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

You are deliberately misquoting me.  I am glad you are no longer taking part in this thread.

I knew this was going to be a touchy subject but this is not how I imagined it would go.  Kwik, before we were interrupted, we were both relaying our Roman Catholic backgrounds.  Is there anymore we need to add there?

Since my posts have been deleted I will answer your charge against me here.

No there was no misquote. I acknowledge what you said Concerning Christ. Then I asked you two questions.

there was no misquote.

Joline

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,058
  • Content Per Day:  14.86
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, Joline said:

Since my posts have been deleted I will answer your charge against me here.

No there was no misquote. I acknowledge what you said Concerning Christ. Then I asked you two questions.

there was no misquote.

Joline

Then we'll have to agree to disagree.  I stand by my post.

Peter Popoff

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Peter Popoff (born July 2, 1946) is a German American televangelist, self-proclaimed prophet and faith healer. He conducts revival meetings and once hosted a national television program. He initially rose to prominence in the 1980s. In 1986, skeptics exposed his method of receiving supposedly divine revelations from his wife via an in-ear radio receiver.[1][2][3] Popoff declared bankruptcy in 1987 after his tactics were exposed,[4] but he has since made a comeback using similar techniques. According to Fred M. Frohock, "the case of Peter Popoff is one of many egregious instances of fake healing".[5] "Most of these guys are fooled by their own theology", said Ole Anthony of the Trinity Foundation, which has investigated Popoff and other televangelists since 1987. "He’s fundamentally evil, because he knows he’s a con man."[6]

So here we have Peter Popoff, con man, who is still stealing money from desparate people looking for God's healing.  Even though he was exposed as a fraud, he still can be seen on late night satellite/cable TV around the country.  His message is tailored to Charismatics looking for answers from God, but ultimately, looking in the wrong place.  Do miracles still happen?  You bet.  Do miraculous healings still occur?  Absolutely.  But this man is a con man using the faith of others to line his pockets.  He is a fraud, but is he a heretic or cult leader?

Somehow my wife and I got on his mailing list.  Not sure how, we definitely did not send him any money.  He sent us these little pieces of cloth that if we returned them to him with or without a generous gift, he and his staff would pray over them that our needs would be met.  I believe it was an investigative report by ABC, but they found that his staff just took whatever money was in the returned envelop and threw the 1" square cloths away.  The investigative reporter found them in a dumpster.  If there was no money or check in the envelop, the envelops were just thrown away unopened.

Can he change?  Sure, but I think he needs to make amends for all the wrong he's done.

"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.  [NIV, Matthew 10:16]

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Wow SavedOne,,,,,I somehow got on his mailing list too & I was outraged by his "peddling Scripture" for personal gain &  twi0sting to sound like you would be cursed if you didn't follow his instructions & send him mon ey!!!!!

He is a fraud, but is he a heretic or cult leader?

He is a heretic,in my opinion,,,,He picks out Scripture like smorgasbord to support why you should "sow" into him/his ministry & twist other Scripture to promote idolotry,sorcery,talismans(his cloths,papers,water,oil) etc,,,,,I got a letter from him where it was one of those computer generated mass productions & they fill in your name & address,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ugggh

And yes,I believe he is a "cult" leader,,,,,,,,,,,,,,he is one of those charismatic types that have people following "him" & his incantations,practices,,,,,,I know people that rave about him,did as he instructed & gjot some check in the mail or what they think "he did" ,,,,,,

I think it is forms of the occult,I sat down,,,,put his stuff in an envelope,didn't even want it in my house,wrote a letter & never heard back,.....I am not one to point a finger at people but this guy is DANGEROUS !!!!!                          

55 minutes ago, kwikphilly said:

Wow SavedOne,,,,,I somehow got on his mailing list too & I was outraged by his "peddling Scripture" for personal gain &  twi0sting to sound like you would be cursed if you didn't follow his instructions & send him mon ey!!!!!

He is a heretic,in my opinion,,,,He picks out Scripture like smorgasbord to support why you should "sow" into him/his ministry & twist other Scripture to promote idolotry,sorcery,talismans(his cloths,papers,water,oil) etc,,,,,I got a letter from him where it was one of those computer generated mass productions & they fill in your name & address,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ugggh

And yes,I believe he is a "cult" leader,,,,,,,,,,,,,,he is one of those charismatic types that have people following "him" & his incantations,practices,,,,,,I know people that rave about him,did as he instructed & gjot some check in the mail or what they think "he did" ,,,,,,

I think it is forms of the occult,I sat down,,,,put his stuff in an envelope,didn't even want it in my house,wrote a letter & never heard back,.....I am not one to point a finger at people but this guy is DANGEROUS !!!!!                         

He seemed to come up with one scheme after another to steal from the faithful.  I agree, he is a heretic for sure.  I don't know how many people still follow him, but there must be enough to keep him on the air with his paid message.  To those people who follow his charismatic personality, yes indeed I agree with you.  He is a cult leader and yes, he is dangerous to anyone who follows him.  I wonder how many people were lost to the Christian faith and questioned legitimate people of the Christian faith because of this charlatan?

Blessings SavedOne

I do wonder,I knew 2 sisters,one I knew pretty well,A Christian gal (Born Again??? I don't really know) but she was doing okay,we talked a lot about Jesus until her sister came along,she claimed that popoff was so"anointed",a healer,a miracle worker(never giving Glory to God,,,,,,she influenced the sister to follow this guy & they both talk of him as if he has powers of his own,,,,, scarey,it was a steady spiral downwards after that,I don't see them anymore,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Indeed these people are given powers but not of the Holy Spirit,demons have a field day with these types,,,,,,,uggh,,,,,,if only people would stick with Jesus & spend time in Gods Word with our Lord instead of having their ears tickled & believing everything that sounds or looks good,without a form foundation you cannot build a secure home,,,,,,

King James Bible
And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
                                                                                      Joshua 24:15

Arianism

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Part of a series of articles on
Arianism
Christian cross
History and theology
Arian leaders
Other Arians
Modern semi-Arians
Opponents

Arianism is a Christian belief that asserts that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, created by God the Father, distinct from the Father and therefore subordinate to the Father. Arian teachings were first attributed to Arius (c. AD 250–336), a Christian presbyter in Alexandria, Egypt. The teachings of Arius and his supporters were in direct opposition to the the prevailing theological views held by proto-orthodox Christians, regarding the nature of the Trinity and the nature of Christ. The Arian concept of Christ is that the Son of God did not always exist, but was created by God the Father. This belief is based on an interpretation of a verse in the Gospel of John (14:28):[1] "You heard me say, 'I am going away, and I am coming back to you.' If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I."

Homoousianism was formally affirmed by the first two Ecumenical Councils. All mainstream branches of Christianity therefore consider Arianism to be heterodox and heretical. The Ecumenical First Council of Nicaea of 325 deemed it to be a heresy. At the regional First Synod of Tyre in 335, Arius was exonerated.[2] After his death, he was again anathemised and pronounced a heretic again at the Ecumenical First Council of Constantinople of 381.[3] The Roman Emperors Constantius II (337–361) and Valens (364–378) were Arians or Semi-Arians.

Arianism is also often used to refer to other nontrinitarian theological systems of the 4th century, which regarded Jesus Christ—the Son of God, the Logos—as either a created being (as in Arianism proper and Anomoeanism) or as neither uncreated nor created in the sense other beings are created (as in Semi-Arianism).

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arianism

Arianism gave rise to cults like the Church of Latter Day Saints and Jehovah Witnesses among others.  The Wikipedia article states that Arianism is Christian, which I would argue it is not.  I believe that belief in the Trinity is one of the fundamental tenets of the Christian faith.

I believe that belief in the Trinity is one of the fundamental tenets of the Christian faith.                             posted by SavedOnebyGrace

Agreed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so is this where the Arian Race Bros"SkinHeads"stemmed from? I think it safe to say they are a cult on the whole,,,,they are a typical "hate" group that hates anyone who does not/or is not what they are,,,,,,,,,,,,,,this is still live & breeding in the South,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?

Guest shiloh357
8 minutes ago, kwikphilly said:

Agreed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so is this where the Arian Race Bros"SkinHeads"stemmed from? I think it safe to say they are a cult on the whole,,,,they are a typical "hate" group that hates anyone who does not/or is not what they are,,,,,,,,,,,,,,this is still live & breeding in the South,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?

Arianism should not be confused with Aryanism.  Aryanism is the skinhead, Nazi ideology.   Arianism is based on the non-trinitarian teachings of Arius.