IGNORED

Youth Sunday School

Guest soulseeker4961

Guest soulseeker4961

I want to discuss rap music with my youth sunday school group. I also would like some help as to how to break down the lessons to make sure the students understand what we've talked about

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  122
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/23/1987

Tell them to listen to a great rapper, an example would be Eminem. They'll catch on quick.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  669
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  09/04/1986

I'm not sure of what you mean. You want to discuss rap with your class? What about rap do you want to discuss?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Tell them to listen to a great rapper, an example would be Eminem. They'll catch on quick.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Surely you jest?

:whistling:

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I have to say to stay as far away from rap as you can. Even the christian is questionable.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  164
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/05/1967

I am assuming you want to discuss rap music - as far as lyrics, intent, etc... Not knowing the age of the kids in your class makes it a little difficult to suggest ways to discuss it.

I always like the direct approach. My 15 year old had a friend who was listening to rap. He (my son) wanted to get a CD of the artist (50Cent). I told him that I would be happy to get the CD for him if he and I both agreed that the lyrics were acceptable. He happily agreed (apparently he really didn't listen to the lyrics). Anyway, we went to a website and I started reading the lyrics to him outloud. :whistling: (I've never said words like that in my life). Half way through the second song he stopped me, and told me he didn't want to hear anymore. I told him I wanted to make sure that it wasn't just one or two of the songs, so I continued - just to make sure the message was across. By the time we were done, he was dying to get out of that room. I don't think he liked hearing that stuff come out of my mouth....But what an impact. He admitted the songs degraded people, especially women, and were pretty negative in content. He told me to forget it. :emot-hug: I love reasoning with him. :whistling:

• Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  923
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  10/03/1974

Amen Deez, I personally do not believe that rap has a place in Sunday School.

Your Sister in Christ Jesus

Anne :whistling:

• Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  669
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  09/04/1986

I don't have an issue with rap(the music) I DO have a problem with the lyrics. 99.9% of the time they are offensive, vulgar, and VERY ungodly. I know of at least 3-4 Christian Rap artists that I would consider acceptable.

I do not, however think you need to be bringing regular rap into your Sunday school class, there isn't anything to discuss really. If the lyrics are bad, don't listen to it. :cool:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  281
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  789
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

Depending on the age of your Sunday school children most of them know what rap music once they are First or second grade for sure. Now at that age like any music they just like the rythm and the beat and all the Bling Bling jewerly. By the time reach 5th grade and up they have notice all the other luxeries that any music can bring even with rap music. Although there is less hype about Christian rap there is still hype about it because to some it is still a new thing. Why don't you let your sunday school children teach you about rap they may know more than you depending on there age.

Start by making a chart listing the pros and cons of rap music.

Than allow them to sample both secular and Christian rap artist.

Next, challenge them to come up with their own postive rap about what they have learned or about Christ.

If their raps are good, funny and healthy conclude the lesson by having them make poster for their song and than record them tape to see what they think of thier rap.