• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

1 hour ago, Thallasa said:

I do not any longer belong to a Church .

Society today is many layered,*****and humanity has grown about 175000 times the population since Jesus was here . I see myself in some way as a Citizen more than the member of a Church and consider it my responsiblity to help those in need , so most of my spare money goes to Africa and some to Middle East christians ,while I give away a lot to people I meet here and there .

BUT this thread is distasteful to me, because where people wish to contribute their hard earned money ,is not for those who are judgemental to decide ,and I see that from some here who are very judgemental as they like to make themselves look good .in comparison.

This topic has been something that has long been discussed at Worthy. If you participate much in the world news or U.S. News/politics threads this passage comes up over and over again. I just thought I'd challenge the status quo. 

I don't consider myself a citizen of the this world. I'm just passing through. I hope you re-consider this and find a good group of Believers near you. 

No idea about what you're talking about this being distasteful... We are just sharing our thoughts and views. We are all trying to grow together. At least that's what I hope we're doing...

God bless,
GE 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Hiya again Kwik :) 

I agree with you we need to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit. All we have belongs to God. 

God does provide above and beyond for our needs. I like your example of the homeless person. I know too many who simply don't give to anyone at any time. I'm a lot more inclined to give food or water rather than money. But $1 or $2 may go a long way for a homeless person. Sometimes we give and others we do not. 

It's almost like I'd rather err on the side of giving than being stingy though with those who ask for help. 

Thank you for your heart and your encouraging words sister! :thumbsup: 

God bless,
GE

Absolutely agreed,,,,,I'll be a "fool"for Christ anyday!!!!!  And I think this Thread is wonderful,it is encouraging,REAL,important and I'm sure a fountain of Wisdom for anyone with eyes top see & ears to hear,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thank you for these very real discussions,Praise Jesus

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,436
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/11/1989

I believe this verse basically means 'Don't use grace as a subterfuge for your own laziness i.e. if a person is able he should earn his living by the sweat of his brow and thereby pull his his weight in the church '. I believe people who are unable to work due to illness or infirmity or age should be supported. This verse does not refer to charity towards them. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

I believe this verse basically means 'Don't use grace as a subterfuge for your own laziness i.e. if a person is able he should earn his living by the sweat of his brow and thereby pull his his weight in the church '. I believe people who are unable to work due to illness or infirmity or age should be supported. This verse does not refer to charity towards them.                                                                          posted by SIC

Agreed,Amen!                                                                             With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

On 6/26/2016 at 2:08 PM, woundeddog said:

man. I'm really hungry----- any one need their lawn cut?

Sounds like Nebuchadnezzar.;)

On 6/26/2016 at 4:51 PM, Thallasa said:

BUT this thread is distasteful to me, because where people wish to contribute their hard earned money

That is not the intent of this thread at all. It simply reinforces the necessity of work for all able-bodied people (Christian or not).  Many do not understand that God gave man a decree to work because not only does it provide for one's own needs, but it also provides for helping others. 

At the same time it is therapeutic in that it maintains one's health, and also creative, in that it gives every worker an opportunity to do things a little bit better.

It is instructive to see that even while Paul was preaching the Gospel and teaching the Word, he worked day and night to support himself and not be beholden to anyone.  Paul says "Do as I do".

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

On 6/25/2016 at 1:45 PM, Omegaman 3.0 said:

Seems to me it is just saying that if a person to too lazy to work, then don't encourage his lazyness with handouts, reserve your charity for the needy, not the greedy, but that is just my interpretation.

I would also take notice, that the context is about brothers, those in the church. Paul also seems to prescribe a degree of shunning.

Yes Paul is referring to men who are not willing to work. 

I for one enjoy physical work and have worked hard most of my life. I love that feeling at the end of the day when I am exhausted and my muscles are tired. 

I thank God that I have a job. 

I was unemployed for two years, five years ago, after the business I worked for went bankrupt. 

My age and limited skills really went against me in trying to get another job. 

It really was a hard time for me and I experienced the stigma of what unemployment has as well as an uncertain future.

This verse really cut me to the bone. I even stopped going to church because I felt like I could not be a worthy Christian without a job. 

I contemplated suicide, I struggled with my salvation and how could God love me. It was really a horrible time in my life. 

Thankfully I got a job again and have to get up and go to work in two hours. 

That time my life was a dark time. Rather then help people were judgemental and accusing. God did not seem to hear my prayer. My salvation was not certain. I had no control over my life and the future was bleak. 

It is something I will not understand until further along as the song says. 

All I can say is that being unemployed puts man in a very vulnerable and helpless position. If you cannot help that man get a job then at least don't kick him when he is down. 

Paul was talking about men who did not work because they thought it was pointless since Christ would return soon and so this does not apply to men who cannot work due to no fault of their own. 

It is very important that we discern between a lazy man and a man who has hit hard times and the last thing he needs is to be kicked while he is down.

7 hours ago, DARRELX said:

It is very important that we discern between a lazy man and a man who has hit hard times and the last thing he needs is to be kicked while he is down.

Very true, and thanks for sharing your personal testimony. In the New Testament churches the welfare of the believers was a great concern and an assumed responsibility.  Not so much today.  A lot of pastors think that Christians should go to governments for help, rather than the church.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Ezra said:

Very true, and thanks for sharing your personal testimony. In the New Testament churches the welfare of the believers was a great concern and an assumed responsibility.  Not so much today.  A lot of pastors think that Christians should go to governments for help, rather than the church.

That is a hard one. I don't know how they could support an unemployed person. I do know that I started to be left out of outings and other church activities where you had to pay your way because I could not. Anyway no one owes me anything. If you cannot pay your way then you cannot pay your way. What could they do, take up a collection and give it to me lol. 

2 hours ago, DARRELX said:

That is a hard one. I don't know how they could support an unemployed person.

There are many ways to do this, including effective assistance in finding a suitable job.  The point is that there is generally no benevolent fund in the budget for this, and that is not according to Scripture.