IGNORED

Simeon’s yes and ours (Our brother along the way)

markdohle

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0

Simeon’s yes and ours
(Our brother along the way)

(I have a lot of respect for this site, so let me know if this is too catholic.  Or delete it if you think it best)

Mary and Joseph took Jesus up to Jerusalem to be dedicated to God; Jesus being their first born son.  Simeon, an old man, who had spent his life seeking deeper communion with God, as well as understanding the mysteries of his faith; was present that day praying in the temple.  As he was on most days, praying and fasting before the face of God, living out his faith in concrete ways.  He was very old and at the end of his life.  I would think the way he is portrayed in the New Testament, as a man deeply immersed in God, loving towards others and always open to the Spirit of God, to truth, is not something that happened over night.  We are seeing him portrayed after decades of struggle, and no doubt failure, yet continuing on his journey progressing ever deeper into the infinite’s embrace.  So like most of us, his ‘yes’ to God grew over a long lifetime. 

We often see this in older men and women who make prayer an important part of their life.  Perhaps starting off  when much younger, slowly, giving bits of time to meditation, reading and pondering what their faith was calling them to, as well to the deep mystery of their relationship with what is called ‘God’. I have met many older men and women, from different faiths, most Christians, but Hindu’s, Muslim’s as well, and those who are just on a spiritual path, though one that is disciplined in its seeking.  They all are the same.  They have a focus, a lived experience; a way of being that can often be healing when near them.  Catholic men and women as they near the end of their journey may spend hours simply saying the rosary, each unique in how they do it, but nonetheless in deep communion with God.  The rosary lends one to pray for all of mankind, which is the focus of the Our Father as well as the Hail Mary. Or they may simply sit in front of the Blessed Sacrament in deep silence for hours each day.  Older Jewish men and women as well as many Christians, find in the Psalms, the collective questioning, experiences and prayers of mankind…. as well as their own personal prayer to God, that they feel called to recite throughout the day and at night as well.  Expressing the whole gambit of human experience and emotion, and praying not only for themselves but for all.  Hindus, as well as Buddhist, who spend their lives seeking truth, mediating, chanting, as well move deeper in into the mystery that can’t be boxed in our owned by any one religious faith, or spiritual path…..it can’t be helped.  For I believe that all of our seeking is an answer to an invitation that the infinite calls us to.

So Mary and Joseph, young and inexperienced go to this wise man.  He tells Mary, on this day of happiness in the new life that she and Joseph have brought into the world, no doubt delivered with tenderness and sorrow, that a sword will pierce her heart.  I believe that most mothers, as well as fathers, understand what this sword is.  The deeper the love the more painful the wound that it leaves, that never heals, but does not lead to bitterness but to greater love and compassion for their children.

For Catholic’s and for Christian’s in general, Mary is the Mother of God.  For some threads of Christianity, Mary has a central role and place as Christ Mother.  How is it that she gave birth to the Messiah?  I can only speak from my own experience of my relationship with the Eternal One.  I have always sought God, even as a young child, which is not unusual.  As I grew in this relationship, as well as my ability to respond to grace on an ever deeper level, it became ever more clear that there are aspects of my inner life, or my soul that are in rebellion with God.  Not in an angry way, but something there, a wall that keeps me from becoming one with the Blessed One, the Eternal lover of us all. 

Perhaps this is needed, this struggle, for I am who I am today, with all of my ‘screwed-up-ness’ and all, because of these inner conflicts.  I would not want to change any of that as I look back on my life.  So my ‘yes’ to God is taking a lifetime to deepen, to allow grace to work on the other side of those walls, until one day the walls will no longer exist. 

When that day comes, then I to like the Blessed Mother will give full birth to Christ Jesus.  I believe that within Mary, a gift from God, there were no walls, only openness, and a deep humility, deeper than any other human, of her complete dependence on the Infinite One, complete trust, that is taking me a lifetime to achieve.  So Mary shows us what we are all called to.

Simeon, at the end of his life, perhaps was close to giving his complete ‘yes’ to God.  For Mary it was something already accomplished.  She had total trust, she was not afraid of existence or pain or suffering, because of this total dependence on God that was gifted to her.  In her humility, was her greatness, no block, no walls, only “yes, yes, yes”.  So like Mary I believe we are all called to become pregnant with the Eternal Blessed One, to not fear, which is a long journey for most of us.  It is I believe, when all is said and done, pure gift, all grace, it can’t be earned, it is always offered, and hopefully one day, all will accept it and receive it.

Some are called early in the day, some in the mid afternoon, and others at evening and some in the lateness of the night.  Mary was called and responded in the first moment of the dawn, and bore the hundred fold all the days of her life.  Hence, her ability to become pregnant with God, the one who is beyond all image, all understanding, who is not a being, who has no form, yet, is revealed as Love eternal in human form, in Jesus Christ. 

Edited by markdohle

7 hours ago, Teditis said:

Yes.

Very well spoken...

Thank you.

Peace
Mark

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Brother,,,,,

Lovely thoughts,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm not too sure about the hindu,budhist or islamic  comparisons as I do believe those & many such "religions" are merely the enemy's distractions & his way of "blinding" the masses,,,,,,,enough said about that,Jesus offers the Way for ANYONE & EVERYONE Salvation by Grace ,,,,,,,,

So,it is a lovely message,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Praise Jesus & though Mary was a very special lady,I will not "hail Mary" just as I would not "hail" any other human,dead or alive,all Glory belongs to God                                                                                                     With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

2 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

Blessings Brother,,,,,

Lovely thoughts,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm not too sure about the hindu,budhist or islamic  comparisons as I do believe those & many such "religions" are merely the enemy's distractions & his way of "blinding" the masses,,,,,,,enough said about that,Jesus offers the Way for ANYONE & EVERYONE Salvation by Grace ,,,,,,,,

So,it is a lovely message,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Praise Jesus & though Mary was a very special lady,I will not "hail Mary" just as I would not "hail" any other human,dead or alive,all Glory belongs to God                                                                                                     With love-in Christ,Kwik

Amen Kwik....

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Mark, I'm not trying to start a conflict with you but I have to say something. Mary is not the mother of God. She is, or was, the mother of the Lord Jesus. But to call her the mother of God is wrong because, first it implies she existed before God. I'm sure my mother existed before me and any mother exists before her offspring. Secondly, it's like saying Mary gave birth to the eternal God, the one we call the Father, and I doubt that tremendously. I know the rationale the CC uses for calling Mary the Mother of God. It's twisted logic. And IMO it's based on mankind's love of a mother god who dates back to before Jesus. And rather disturbingly, ancient man always portrayed her holding a baby. So even if Jesus brought His earthly mother to heaven ahead of everyone else, and even if you feel ok praying to her, why can't you address her as mother of our lord Jesus, because that's who she was.  

6 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

Blessings Brother,,,,,

Thank you my friend.  I believe that people seek God in different religions, yet in the end all must pass through the 'Word", Jesus Christ.  My prayer is that all will embrace this God who loved us so much that he became one of us and died for each of us.

Peace
Mark

3 hours ago, JTC said:

Mark, I'm not trying to start a conflict with you but I have to say something. Mary is not the mother of God. She is, or was, the mother of the Lord Jesus. But to call her the mother of God is wrong because, first it implies she existed before God. I'm sure my mother existed before me and any mother exists before her offspring. Secondly, it's like saying Mary gave birth to the eternal God, the one we call the Father, and I doubt that tremendously. I know the rationale the CC uses for calling Mary the Mother of God. It's twisted logic. And IMO it's based on mankind's love of a mother god who dates back to before Jesus. And rather disturbingly, ancient man always portrayed her holding a baby. So even if Jesus brought His earthly mother to heaven ahead of everyone else, and even if you feel ok praying to her, why can't you address her as mother of our lord Jesus, because that's who she was.  

First of all thank you very much for your thoughtful response and respectful one as well.  I live in the South, near Atlanta, so I am used to something a little more explosive from certain Christian brothers and sisters.  I guess Mary is often used as wedges when it comes to the older branches of the Christian faith have with those who came after the reformation.  We do call her Mother of our Lord Jesus, for that is what she is.  A woman who brings a man or woman into the world is 'mother'.  Jesus was fully man as well as God, so to call her the Mother of God makes sense to millions of Catholics, Episcopalian and Orthodox Christians.   However I do understand you point and respect it.

Here is a page that might help you to understand.   Though I am not trying to change your mind, just too perhaps change your understanding a bit about another way of looking at Mary.

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/mary-mother-of-god.

Here in the South I have met many Christians who are Baptist, Methodist etc.  Many agree with you, others do not.  I met a Baptist Lady one day in our store who was buying a rosary.  I asked her why she was doing that.  She told me that every since she was a girl, before she met any Christian who had devotion to Mary, she was called to it.  She would ask Mary to pray for her to draw her more deeply into her love of her son Jesus.  She also told me that she never told her pastor. 

Not all non-Catholics agree with each other on what the Catholic Church is.  Some believe that the Pope is the Anti-Christ, and that Catholic's are not Christian.  I even read a pamphlet once that stated that not one Catholic has ever gone to heaven.  Which is funny, because all the Popes have taught about the divinity of Jesus Christ, as well as the truth about the Holy Trinity, even though the church has had times when the papacy was more of a political seat of power and attracted men who only wanted political power and used it in a manner contrary to what Christ taught.  Political power and religion when wed produce the whore of Babylon. 

I know my faith and Jesus is the center of my faith and my life.  The catholic devotions to the Saints and to Mary are not idolatry because they are not divine nor do they have any grace or power apart from Jesus Christ.   For us death does not separate, for those who die in Christ just go deeper in and higher up as C.S. Lewis said.  In Hebrews 12:1 it talks about the cloud of witnesses that surround us.  Having more fully the Mind of Christ, they are one with him and continue their work to bring all to salvation, just as we do on earth.  I know that many here will not agree, which is fine.  Agreement is probably impossible on certain points that are not central to the saving grace of Jesus Christ.

Thank you and peace

Mark

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Thank you my friend.  I believe that people seek God in different religions, yet in the end all must pass through the 'Word", Jesus Christ.  My prayer is that all will embrace this God who loved us so much that he became one of us and died for each of us.

Indeed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

King James Bible
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
                                                                                                                         John 14:6

With love-in Christ,Kwik