• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  172
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/13/1982

So tithing is giving 10% percent of you income, right. Also, Tithing is required, correct?

Ahhhh... Let me just make it simple. Please explain Tithing to me, someone.

Thanks.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Briefly JC.

Tithing was part of Temple requirements for Jews.

There are different types of tithes that are not always monetary.

Today the Church has adopted the principle of tithing.

Many try rather unsuccessfully to seamlessly join the Scriptures about Tithing in the Bible to apply directly to tithing in the Church today.

The Churches that we all belong to need to pay for the Pastors,elders and other ministries...and also have various visions and projects that their congregants have the privilege of becoming co-workers and supporters of with their finances (amongst other things)...hence tithes and offerings.

It would probably be more realistic and beneficial to call tithes and offerings...finances and collections...but most people get the gist and are happy to invest into the vision and work of their Church.

Some of the misuse of Tithing/Giving has come to us by way of what is commonly called 'prosperity teaching'...and the aim is pretty far removed from biblical teachings in some of its forms...especially when it emphasizes personal wealth and gain when you give money to the ministry of certain leaders...even if you have to go in debt to do so.

Personally I believe that every Believer has to use his talents wisely...and this includes his money. If someone is gifted in making money they have a heavier responsibility to direct its use than someone who struggles a bit with finance.

I think many wealthy Believers are in a positition to channel 50-99 % of their income straight back into the Kingdom of G-d...doing it in faith with a glad heart knowing they have their reward in the L-rd.

Anyway just a quick response...I'll let you discover the Scriptural warranty for the points mentioned. Regards. Botz

Cool thanks

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

Great post, Botz. Well said! :thumbsup:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  265
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Tithing should be done scripturally. Out of the abundance of the heart. Not out of obligation as some teach today. Be a joyful giver and not one who is giving in order to meet a percentage or a standard. Thats as simple as it gets. :thumbsup:

Rick

Tithing should be done scripturally. Out of the abundance of the heart.  Not out of obligation as some teach today.  Be a joyful giver and not one who is giving in order to meet a percentage or a standard.  Thats as simple as it gets.  :thumbsup:

Rick

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK good, I have been giving because I wanted to, but I was just wondering the "story", if you will, behind it.

Thanks again.

• Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  881
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

That is a good answer Botz. I do admire you. I agree one hundred percent that where the concept of tithing is implemented in a church it should be called something else. When a specific level of giving is mandatory in order for a person to remain in good standing in a fellowship (as it is in the Assemblies of God, for example) it should be called something else, like

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  279
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  12/30/1965

I was very greatful when the pastor of my church told me it is o.k. that I can't afford a 10% tithe. As a matter of fact he said that something he noticed in our congregation is that often the people who have less actually give ratio wise more. I asked the question because I was preached to (elsewhere) that in order to be the "Good Stweard" that God wants us to be that 10% is mandatory. Ouch.

I spoke with the pastor about being active in the childrens church ministry. I can't contribute much financially, but I can contribute with my time. What I do put in the basket (Not a set amount) I put in the basket happily. The time I give, I give happily.

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  706
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

I think the important thing is that you are sacrificing some of what God has given you to give back to him. Be it time or money. You just need to feel right in your heart with God, knowing you are giving him what you are in good intention and with the sole purpose of supporting his Kingdom.

GBU

Thank you all for your comments and advice :P