• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,180
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I agree as our most loving example 'God' and The ultimate punishment hell... as the Father in Heaven has many times spanked me to turn me from the path of sin ...

I'm torn on this issue because I think that a lot times "spanking" is used in place of proper

correction. Children are often doing things like pushing boundaries as a way of learning and

finding out the context of learning. If a child lies, it's probably because he/she has seen lying

used at times without repercussions and are left wondering why it's okay to lie in some instances

but not in others. Take for example Santa Claus... parents lie about Santa and everything is a big party

and the child plays along; but when they lie about eating an extra cookie... here comes the belt.

So unless the physical aspect of correction is accompanied by plentiful discussion and context setting, the

"spanking" becomes simple abuse. Little is learned from the experience except "if you make Dad angry, you

get hurt." So the take away from that is to do a better job at not making Dad angry... maybe even hide your lies

better. And while many kids who get spanked become well-behaved adults, there are often deep psychological

scars left over. The once improperly spanked child, now adult, has become a good deceiver and someone who

puts on a good show but has a very troubled past.

Education is the key to childhood correction, a training of the child to grow in the ways of the Lord. If "spanking"

is required the child obviously needs more education and context-setting as well so it would also be important to

take the child aside and pray to God about the whole incident, including the spanking part.

The whole pain part is due to the fall and God's displeasure with sin... Love is to turn from error and obey. When the rod is used it must be enforced with the understanding that this is the purpose - to persuade the child to turn from error and serve the Lord. Hell is full of those who would not turn from the error... and God states He desired not even one to be there

2 Peter 3:9 (KJV)

[9] The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Some people see this as an impotent idea toward God... however when seen as The God Who made man to be imaged after Himself yet fallen by self decision God honors His Own sovereignty in this and provides a way back from the error- when and if man does the pain is not removed but the sight of the path to Him and future relief a definite conclusion... Love, Steven

Guest shiloh357
38 minutes ago, Teditis said:

I'm torn on this issue because I think that a lot times "spanking" is used in place of proper

correction. Children are often doing things like pushing boundaries as a way of learning and

finding out the context of learning. If a child lies, it's probably because he/she has seen lying

used at times without repercussions and are left wondering why it's okay to lie in some instances

but not in others. Take for example Santa Claus... parents lie about Santa and everything is a big party

and the child plays along; but when they lie about eating an extra cookie... here comes the belt.

So unless the physical aspect of correction is accompanied by plentiful discussion and context setting, the

"spanking" becomes simple abuse. Little is learned from the experience except "if you make Dad angry, you

get hurt." So the take away from that is to do a better job at not making Dad angry... maybe even hide your lies

better. And while many kids who get spanked become well-behaved adults, there are often deep psychological

scars left over. The once improperly spanked child, now adult, has become a good deceiver and someone who

puts on a good show but has a very troubled past.

Education is the key to childhood correction, a training of the child to grow in the ways of the Lord. If "spanking"

is required the child obviously needs more education and context-setting as well so it would also be important to

take the child aside and pray to God about the whole incident, including the spanking part.

The Santa thing isn't' really a good example.  By the time I was  7, I knew Santa didn't exist and it didn't cause any moral confusion.   It was a game and I knew it.  I don't know of anyone who has borne any emotional scars over finding out that Santa, the tooth fairy and Easter bunny are not real. 

Moral confusion would more likely occur if one was told to lie by one's parents in certain situations, but the punished by one's parents for lying to them

Kids need to associate a certain action with painful punishment so that they don't make it a habit.   Because, the consequences for lying the adult world are far, far more painful and damaging than a 2-3  minute spanking.  It would be better to stop something before it becomes a habit, than to let your child descend into a self-destructive lifestyle in adulthood.

I don't think anyone is advocating spanking without moral instruction to accompany it.   But it does work and it would work if more kids were disciplined that way.

10 minutes ago, Teditis said:

If you're spanking a kid for 2-3 minutes... that's abuse and you should be in jail.

Count it out in your head...

So God Who makes an eternal punishment then considered to be so? The least and the greatest must agree in the boundless... Love, Steven

16 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

So God Who makes and eternal punishment then considered to be so? The least and the greatest must agree in the boundless... Love, Steven

2-3 minutes of "spanking" is a lot of hitting going on, Enoob. That's just not normal.

"Spanking" is part of a process of correction that should have as it's intent to bring

the child into both carnal and spiritual obedience.

Hell is something altogether different.

Edited by Teditis

Hell is punishment for wrong activity (rebellion to God)... it is the farthest of our sight and spanking is one of the ways God has instructed us to turn the heart (in fear) back to Himself of the child... your determining the time factor of abuse must be held in reason with this scenario. The wisdom says 'spareth the rod' ... I have seen corporeal punishment where a light slap would throw the child into a rage and further tantrums! This discipline did not accommodate the purpose of the rod. When the will of the child is broken by the pain of the punishment, time is not the factor, but the objective purpose of the discipline has been accomplished, according to The Word of The Lord, when the willful rebellion of the heart has been placed into check by the fear of the consequence taught by the pain itself...   Love, Steven

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  24
  • Birthday:  10/15/1996

In any other circumstance it would be entirely unacceptable to hit or hurt someone just because they fail to conform to your standard. If you wouldn't hit the guy working for you why would you hit your kid?

4 minutes ago, Logan said:

In any other circumstance it would be entirely unacceptable to hit or hurt someone just because they fail to conform to your standard. If you wouldn't hit the guy working for you why would you hit your kid?

What do you think the law was? Do this and you will be killed?