IGNORED

Is Christianity Really Just about Being Nice?

AngelofAshes

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  55
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I have my own opinions on the topic, my answer being no, but I would like to open some type of discussion on the issue of being nice as the rule of thumb for being a good christian or even a good person.

From what I've read in the Bible, specifically stuff Jesus did, nice isn't good enough nor is it the goal. Sometimes you have to share the truth, in love, but still it will hurt. It will hit them right where it hurts especially if it's conviction from the Holy Spirit. And sometimes when you rebuke someone they definitely won't always see you as 'nice'. Now, of course we are to love our neighbors and enemies. We are to share our faith out of love, but does that mean we should really focus on just being nice, like I see some Christians often putting an emphasis on? Just want you all to share your thoughts and possibly see if a discussion can get going on. c: 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

42 minutes ago, AngelofAshes said:

I have my own opinions on the topic, my answer being no, but I would like to open some type of discussion on the issue of being nice as the rule of thumb for being a good christian or even a good person.

From what I've read in the Bible, specifically stuff Jesus did, nice isn't good enough nor is it the goal. Sometimes you have to share the truth, in love, but still it will hurt. It will hit them right where it hurts especially if it's conviction from the Holy Spirit. And sometimes when you rebuke someone they definitely won't always see you as 'nice'. Now, of course we are to love our neighbors and enemies. We are to share our faith out of love, but does that mean we should really focus on just being nice, like I see some Christians often putting an emphasis on? Just want you all to share your thoughts and possibly see if a discussion can get going on. c: 

I do think that the way 'truth' is spoken will be either in love, or in anger and a desire to control.  Christians if they are persecuted are to be because of their love of Christ Jesus and not because they act like followers of "Westboro Baptist Church".  Many Christians have anger issues as well as the will to power, they cover that over with the phrase 'speaking the truth in love'.  Good question, hope you get a lot of responses.

Peace
Mark

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  55
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

4 minutes ago, markdohle said:

I do think that the way 'truth' is spoken will be either in love, or in anger and a desire to control.  Christians if they are persecuted are to be because of their love of Christ Jesus and not because they act like followers of "Westboro Baptist Church".  Many Christians have anger issues as well as the will to power, they cover that over with the phrase 'speaking the truth in love'.  Good question, hope you get a lot of responses.

Peace
Mark

That's a really good point. I can see how anger and desire for power can definitely come into play when witnessing or preaching. I've seen some preachers take their complaints about how there were too little people helping out through a sermon(it was pretty hilarious and no I don't go to that church ^_^;;;) Even I sometimes can be filled with so much passion when witnessing or sharing my faith through my writings online that I have to slow myself down to make sure it's not from the wrong place in my heart. (geeze, I actually felt convicted reading your response >w< I gotta watch myself).

Thank you, I hope so too and thanks for your response c:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

13 minutes ago, AngelofAshes said:

That's a really good point. I can see how anger and desire for power can definitely come into play when witnessing or preaching. I've seen some preachers take their complaints about how there were too little people helping out through a sermon(it was pretty hilarious and no I don't go to that church ^_^;;;) Even I sometimes can be filled with so much passion when witnessing or sharing my faith through my writings online that I have to slow myself down to make sure it's not from the wrong place in my heart. (geeze, I actually felt convicted reading your response >w< I gotta watch myself).

Thank you, I hope so too and thanks for your response c:

You have humility, I am sure you do fine my friend ;-).

Peace
Mark

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  477
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,560
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  9

Being nice means the same as being kind. At least if one is sincere.  I know the scriptures tell us to rebuke someone with a fault with kindness. Also being gentle.  I personally have never responded to harshness well. I feel like withdrawing.  Now christ was lowly and gentle. He was approachable.  

Guest Robert
36 minutes ago, Wayne222 said:

Being nice means the same as being kind. At least if one is sincere.  I know the scriptures tell us to rebuke someone with a fault with kindness. Also being gentle.  I personally have never responded to harshness well. I feel like withdrawing.  Now christ was lowly and gentle. He was approachable.  

Is this the same Jesus who, in Scripture:

-Called the Pharisees, Scribes and Sadducees "sons of hell", "vipers", "hypocrites" and "fools"?

-Who chided his disciples for walking with Him but still not having understanding?

-Asked "O unbelieving generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I put up with you? "

-Said  “Are you the teacher of Israel and do not understand these things?"

Yowm has the right of it in his post.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

2 hours ago, Yowm said:

We are to be kind, but not with selfish motives.

I believe there are times to be blunt and straight forward as when a person consistently teaches error.

This about sums it up for "niceness".  But the primary goals of every Christian should be (1) to share the true Gospel with as many as possible, and by every means possible, and (2) to make disciples.  This includes being kind, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, and helping one another. But there will also be occasions for rebuking those who need to be rebuked.  As the Lord has said "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten". But even a rebuke can be handled gently.

2 hours ago, Yowm said:

But not always gentle...

"Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But I tell you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for Tyre and Sidon than for you. And you, Capernaum, will you be exalted to heaven? You will be brought down to Hades. For if the mighty works done in you had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. But I tell you that it will be more tolerable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom than for you." (Mat 11:21-24)

"But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and every herb, and neglect justice and the love of God. These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others. Woe to you Pharisees! For you love the best seat in the synagogues and greetings in the marketplaces. Woe to you! For you are like unmarked graves, and people walk over them without knowing it."
(Luk 11:42-44)

And he said, "Woe to you lawyers also! For you load people with burdens hard to bear, and you yourselves do not touch the burdens with one of your fingers. Woe to you! For you build the tombs of the prophets whom your fathers killed. So you are witnesses and you consent to the deeds of your fathers, for they killed them, and you build their tombs.
(Luk 11:46-48)

You serpents, you brood of vipers, how are you to escape being sentenced to hell? Therefore I send you prophets and wise men and scribes, some of whom you will kill and crucify, and some you will flog in your synagogues and persecute from town to town, so that on you may come all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah the son of Barachiah, whom you murdered between the sanctuary and the altar. Truly, I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.
(Mat 23:33-36)

ahh, sweet loving Jesus....except when it comes to falsehood.

jesus will be a righteous judge when he returns to rule. To those who seek his mercy and forgiveness he will be kind . For those who refuse him there will be trouble and eternal punishment.  But he would have all come to repentance and escape judgment.He is still kind and gentle. Full of mercy. 

I rebuke you Yowm. Just kidding.