• Days Won:  0

Blessed are the poor (in spirit)

For example, suppose someone comes into
 your meeting dressed in fancy clothes and
expensive jewelry, and another comes in who is poor and
dressed in dirty clothes. If you show special attention to
the man wearing fine clothes and say,
"Here's a good seat for you," but say to the poor man, "You stand there"
or "Sit on the floor by my feet," have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?  --James 2:3-4

It is easy to forget that we find Christ Jesus where we often fail to look, or perhaps even desire not to see at all.  We often speak of the love of God, yet just what is that all about? One way of looking at it is to meditate on how Jesus treated others.  The deeper the look, the more incomprehensible it can become.  My natural response to others is based on a foundation other than the love that Jesus tried to show us in the Gospel.  He gravitated towards people who are overlooked, such behavior being considered as normal and even prudent.  He ate with those who were a scandal to persons outside the circle of sinners.  He saw something that I still do not see, for my tendency is to ignore certain types of people and to even unconsciously have contempt for them.  The Holy Spirit is slowly making me aware of this ‘sin’ in me and slowly healing me of this normal though harmful way of dealing with others.  When Christ Jesus said we are to love what we may consider unlovable is central to his message.  I believe it is a hard lesson to learn, at least this is for me.  One way the Holy Spirit wounds is to bring before our inner vision our very human limitations in our ability to love…..it is then that we learn what grace truly means and what we would be without it.

Pope Francis--If we take the poor away from the Gospel,
we won't be able to understand the whole
message of Jesus Christ.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  253
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  05/11/1963

2 hours ago, markdohle said:

For example, suppose someone comes into
 your meeting dressed in fancy clothes and
expensive jewelry, and another comes in who is poor and
dressed in dirty clothes. If you show special attention to
the man wearing fine clothes and say,
"Here's a good seat for you," but say to the poor man, "You stand there"
or "Sit on the floor by my feet," have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?  --James 2:3-4

It is easy to forget that we find Christ Jesus where we often fail to look, or perhaps even desire not to see at all.  We often speak of the love of God, yet just what is that all about? One way of looking at it is to meditate on how Jesus treated others.  The deeper the look, the more incomprehensible it can become.  My natural response to others is based on a foundation other than the love that Jesus tried to show us in the Gospel.  He gravitated towards people who are overlooked, such behavior being considered as normal and even prudent.  He ate with those who were a scandal to persons outside the circle of sinners.  He saw something that I still do not see, for my tendency is to ignore certain types of people and to even unconsciously have contempt for them.  The Holy Spirit is slowly making me aware of this ‘sin’ in me and slowly healing me of this normal though harmful way of dealing with others.  When Christ Jesus said we are to love what we may consider unlovable is central to his message.  I believe it is a hard lesson to learn, at least this is for me.  One way the Holy Spirit wounds is to bring before our inner vision our very human limitations in our ability to love…..it is then that we learn what grace truly means and what we would be without it.

Pope Francis--If we take the poor away from the Gospel,
we won't be able to understand the whole
message of Jesus Christ.

In the parallel sermon on mount it says, blessed are the poor, for theirs is the kingdom of God. Cursed are the rich for they have received their reward. In James 2 and 1 Cor. 11 they are dealing with how the rich treated the poor at the love feasts. James asks if this is saving faith and Paul warns because of this some of you are sick and some of you sleep. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

mp3speaker.gifpoor in spirit

Question: "What does it mean to be poor in spirit?"

Answer:
In the beatitudes of the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus declares, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 5:3). What exactly does it mean to be poor in spirit, and why does being poor in spirit result in the kingdom of heaven? Why is “poor in spirit” something God wants us to be? Why would God want us to be “poor” at anything?

Some propose that Jesus is speaking of financial poverty, that He is advocating being poor so that riches and possession don’t come between us and God. While it is true that Jesus elsewhere warned against seeking riches (Matthew 6:24), that does not seem to be Jesus’ point in Matthew 5:3. Jesus is speaking of being “poor in spirit”; i.e., being “spiritually poor.” In the beatitudes, Jesus is concerned with spiritual realities, not material possessions. What, then, does it mean to be spiritually poor?

To be poor in spirit is to recognize your utter spiritual bankruptcy before God. It is understanding that you have absolutely nothing of worth to offer God. Being poor in spirit is admitting that, because of your sin, you are completely destitute spiritually and can do nothing to deliver yourself from your dire situation. Jesus is saying that, no matter your status in life, you must recognize your spiritual poverty before you can come to God in faith to receive the salvation He offers.

Why and how does being poor in spirit result in the kingdom of heaven? While the phrase can be broad in meaning, “kingdom of heaven” essentially refers to salvation. The kingdom of heaven is both eternity in heaven with God after death (Romans 6:23) and the eternal quality of life with God before death (John 10:10). God offers us salvation as a gift, through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross, the full payment for sin’s penalty. Before we can receive this gift, we must understand that we cannot make ourselves worthy of it. Salvation is by grace through faith, not of works (Ephesians 2:8-9). We must recognize our sinfulness before we can understand our need for a Savior. We must admit our spiritual poverty before we can receive the spiritual riches God offers (Ephesians 1:3). We must, in short, be “poor in spirit.”

When Jesus says, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven,” He is declaring that, before we can enter God’s kingdom, we must recognize the utter worthlessness of our own spiritual currency and the inability of our own works to save us.

https://gotquestions.org/poor-in-spirit.html

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

The Beatitudes from the Sermon on the Mount are about spiritual matters, not material poverty and Christians tending to the poor.  Christians should tend to the poor for many reasons, but not as Pope Francis has said - that taking care of the poor brings an understanding of the gospel. 

The Beatitudes show a step-by-step and increasing faith that all Christians should undergo.

I noticed a progression of the spiritual walk there. Some might call it a circular progression as we find ourselves backing up as much as moving forward.

• Blessed are the poor in spirit (Someone who understands that they are a sinner)
  • Blessed are they who mourn (Someone who is grieved that they are a sinner)
  • Blessed are the meek (Someone who understands what has to be done about it - to become like Jesus)
  • Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness. (Someone who goes beyond understanding into a burden to change and who changes.)
  • Blessed are the merciful. (Someone who has a heart for others to change.)
  • Blessed are the pure of heart. (Someone who now walks the walk.)
  • Blessed are the peacemakers (Someone who is bent on others walking the walk and does so in imitation of Christ.)
  • Blessed are they who suffer persecution for justice sake. (Someone who is willing to lay down all that he or she has for the sake of Christ.)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  253
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  05/11/1963

It puzzled me early on that God preferred the poor over the rich, the weak over the strong, the sinner over the religious perfectionist. I still catch myself wondering why Paul when the villains of the Gospels were the Pharisees and then one of them becomes the Apostle to the Gentiles. I sometimes think of the rich man and Lazarus or the rich young ruler who thought he was keeping the Law but was still covetous. It's all over the Old Testament:

The Lord stands up to plead
    and stands to judge the people.
The Lord will enter into judgment
    with the elders and the princes of His people:
For you have eaten up the vineyard;
    the spoil of the poor is in your houses.
What do you mean that you beat My people to pieces
    and grind the faces of the poor?
    says the Lord God of Hosts. (Isaiah 3:13-15)   

God judges us for how we treat others and while we cannot fulfill the Law by our own merits, the tenth commandment, 'Thou shalt not covet' still has an important lesson for us:

Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. (Col. 3:5)

People don't erect idols of gold and silver and worship them as gods anymore but this description of idolatry has sexual immorality and other things but then at the end it includes greed. I makes me wonder what staring at these idols did for and to those who worshiped them. There is nothing wrong with gold, God paves the streets of the new Jerusalem with the stuff. I just think we have to be careful what we set our hearts on. Looking at a women with lust is really worse then adultery? Well, at least the same thing. 

The church at Laodicea was an important church in Asian Minor, actually founded and supported the church at Colossi. They had amazing wealth but somehow that made them forget they were poor, pitiful, blind and naked. I sometimes wonder which is worse, losing it all or having it all.  

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

7 hours ago, markdohle said:

:emot-heartbeat:

Blessed

You say, 'I'm rich. I'm wealthy. I don't need anything.' Yet, you do not realize that you are miserable, pitiful, poor, blind, and naked.

I advise you: Buy gold purified in fire from me so that you may be rich. Buy white clothes from me. Wear them so that you may keep your shameful, naked body from showing. Buy ointment to put on your eyes so that you may see. I correct and discipline everyone I love.

Take this seriously, and change the way you think and act. Look, I'm standing at the door and knocking. If anyone listens to my voice and opens the door, I'll come in and we'll eat together. I will allow everyone who wins the victory to sit with me on my throne, as I have won the victory and have sat down with my Father on his throne.

Let the person who has ears listen to what the Spirit says to the churches." Revelation 3:17-22 ( GOD'S WORD® Translation)

Are The Poor

He raises up the poor out of the dust. He lifts up the needy from the dunghill, To make them sit with princes, and inherit the throne of glory. For the pillars of the earth are the LORD's. He has set the world on them. 1 Samuel 2:8 (New Heart English Bible)

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 (King James Bible)

Love, Your Brother Joe

~

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160 (King James Bible)

The Bible contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler’s map, the pilgrim’s staff, the pilot’s compass, the soldier’s sword and the Christian’s charter. Here too, Heaven is opened and the gates of Hell disclosed.

Christ is its grand subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end. It should fill the memory, rule the heart and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently and prayerfully.  It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure.

It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgment, and be remembered forever. It involves the highest responsibility, rewards the greatest labor, and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.

From The Inside Of My Gideon New Testament

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

10 hours ago, thilipsis said:

In the parallel sermon on mount it says, blessed are the poor, for theirs is the kingdom of God. Cursed are the rich for they have received their reward. In James 2 and 1 Cor. 11 they are dealing with how the rich treated the poor at the love feasts. James asks if this is saving faith and Paul warns because of this some of you are sick and some of you sleep. 

Yes riches can give a false sense of being in control and isolates us from the suffering of others.  I do love the epistle of James, he has some rough edges LOL, but his point across.

Peace
mark

10 hours ago, missmuffet said:
mp3speaker.gifpoor in spirit

Question: "What does it mean to be poor in spirit?"

Answer:
In the beatitudes of the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus declares, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 5:3). What exactly does it mean to be poor in spirit, and why does being poor in spirit result in the kingdom of heaven? Why is “poor in spirit” something God wants us to be? Why would God want us to be “poor” at anything?

Some propose that Jesus is speaking of financial poverty, that He is advocating being poor so that riches and possession don’t come between us and God. While it is true that Jesus elsewhere warned against seeking riches (Matthew 6:24), that does not seem to be Jesus’ point in Matthew 5:3. Jesus is speaking of being “poor in spirit”; i.e., being “spiritually poor.” In the beatitudes, Jesus is concerned with spiritual realities, not material possessions. What, then, does it mean to be spiritually poor?

To be poor in spirit is to recognize your utter spiritual bankruptcy before God. It is understanding that you have absolutely nothing of worth to offer God. Being poor in spirit is admitting that, because of your sin, you are completely destitute spiritually and can do nothing to deliver yourself from your dire situation. Jesus is saying that, no matter your status in life, you must recognize your spiritual poverty before you can come to God in faith to receive the salvation He offers.

Why and how does being poor in spirit result in the kingdom of heaven? While the phrase can be broad in meaning, “kingdom of heaven” essentially refers to salvation. The kingdom of heaven is both eternity in heaven with God after death (Romans 6:23) and the eternal quality of life with God before death (John 10:10). God offers us salvation as a gift, through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross, the full payment for sin’s penalty. Before we can receive this gift, we must understand that we cannot make ourselves worthy of it. Salvation is by grace through faith, not of works (Ephesians 2:8-9). We must recognize our sinfulness before we can understand our need for a Savior. We must admit our spiritual poverty before we can receive the spiritual riches God offers (Ephesians 1:3). We must, in short, be “poor in spirit.”

When Jesus says, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven,” He is declaring that, before we can enter God’s kingdom, we must recognize the utter worthlessness of our own spiritual currency and the inability of our own works to save us.

https://gotquestions.org/poor-in-spirit.html

I love you posting missmuffet, thanks you!

Peace
Mark

8 hours ago, Yowm said:

It is humbling when I survey the wondrous cross...

1. When I survey the wondrous cross
    On which the Prince of glory died,
    My richest gain I count but loss,
    And pour contempt on all my pride.
  2. Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
    Save in the death of Christ my God!

All the vain things that charm me most,
    I sacrifice them to His blood.
  3. See from His head, His hands, His feet,
    Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
    Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
    Or thorns compose so rich a crown?
  4. Were the whole realm of nature mine,
    That were a present far too small;
    Love so amazing, so divine,
    Demands my soul, my life, my all.
    -Isaac Watts

I do love that hymn, only second to Amazing Grace.

Peace
Mark

7 hours ago, Jayne said:

The Beatitudes from the Sermon on the Mount are about spiritual matters, not material poverty and Christians tending to the poor.  Christians should tend to the poor for many reasons, but not as Pope Francis has said - that taking care of the poor brings an understanding of the gospel. 

The Beatitudes show a step-by-step and increasing faith that all Christians should undergo.

I noticed a progression of the spiritual walk there. Some might call it a circular progression as we find ourselves backing up as much as moving forward.

• Blessed are the poor in spirit (Someone who understands that they are a sinner)
  • Blessed are they who mourn (Someone who is grieved that they are a sinner)
  • Blessed are the meek (Someone who understands what has to be done about it - to become like Jesus)
  • Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness. (Someone who goes beyond understanding into a burden to change and who changes.)
  • Blessed are the merciful. (Someone who has a heart for others to change.)
  • Blessed are the pure of heart. (Someone who now walks the walk.)
  • Blessed are the peacemakers (Someone who is bent on others walking the walk and does so in imitation of Christ.)
  • Blessed are they who suffer persecution for justice sake. (Someone who is willing to lay down all that he or she has for the sake of Christ.)

I believe that the reason the United States is its present space is because we fail to understand how Jesus 'related' to others.  We are called to a deep personal relationship with Jesus Christ, that in turn allows us to see others in a different light and to see Christ in the least, in that we get a small glimpse of God's love for us. 

I liked your examples, thank you ;-).

Peace
Mark