• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  352
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

And as you can tell from my   snarky remarks I have not changed a bit. 

LOL...thanks for the lighthearted response.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,828
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

12 minutes ago, ruck1b said:

I really appreciate this reply.  What do you believe some of those hard to understand things were that Peter was referencing?  Do you believe that Paul was claiming that everything he said to the people in letters and in speech was God's word?     What makes you assume I'm rejecting the Bible? 

I don't assume you are rejecting the Bible.  I was addressing your quote here...

"If we reject some things based on inconsistencies wouldn't we have to reject everything considering there are  many located within the texts we read...how do we reconcile that?"

I believe that scriptures and God's Word are synonymous.  See above scriptures you quoted from me.  Inspired - literally "θεόπνευστος" [theopneustos] = meaning "God breathed".  From his "mouth" - God's Words.  The Bible IS the Word of God.

What about Paul's writings were hard?  Well, first of all Peter was not an educated man.  It says that in Acts.  Paul was extremely educated.  I don't know which part of Paul's writings that Peter was referring to as hard to understand.  But I definitely understand Peter's warning - that the person who doesn't study and who is unstable and who flippantly reads Paul can twist Paul's meanings for their own destruction.  Peter warns that these people treat the rest of the scriptures the same way.

I can't claim which inspired scriptures of Paul are hard to understand.  I can only take Peter's warning and make sure that I study them diligently and without adding my own opinion to them.

1 hour ago, Ezra said:

The way it worked is that God the Holy Spirit supernaturally gave the prophets, evangelists and apostles the exact words which they penned. While the writings were the writings of men, the Author was God Himself.

It would be similar to  a business executive dictating a letter to his secretary and signing it as his own.

Since the Bible was completed by about AD 90, men are no longer inspired to write Scripture.  Those who claim to be inspired are false prophets (e.g. Muhammad and Joseph Smith).

On this I have to disagree to an extent. While I do believe that God inspire men to write, I don't believe that he gave every word of the bible to us.  I also don't think the Bible is complete.  We are living epistles. 

30 minutes ago, Jayne said:

I don't assume you are rejecting the Bible.  I was addressing your quote here...

"If we reject some things based on inconsistencies wouldn't we have to reject everything considering there are  many located within the texts we read...how do we reconcile that?"

I believe that scriptures and God's Word are synonymous.  See above scriptures you quoted from me.  Inspired - literally "θεόπνευστος" [theopneustos] = meaning "God breathed".  From his "mouth" - God's Words.  The Bible IS the Word of God.

What about Paul's writings were hard?  Well, first of all Peter was not an educated man.  It says that in Acts.  Paul was extremely educated.  I don't know which part of Paul's writings that Peter was referring to as hard to understand.  But I definitely understand Peter's warning - that the person who doesn't study and who is unstable and who flippantly reads Paul can twist Paul's meanings for their own destruction.  Peter warns that these people treat the rest of the scriptures the same way.

I can't claim which inspired scriptures of Paul are hard to understand.  I can only take Peter's warning and make sure that I study them diligently and without adding my own opinion to them.

Well it would seem things boil down to what we believe scripture is then.  

I want to thank everyone that has taken the time to reply to this topic.  Often times it can be difficult answering questions that may pull on us or cause us to examine the nuances of what we believe or don't believe, but IMO it is vital to our growth and understanding. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,718
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

4 hours ago, ruck1b said:

Paul never stated that the Bible is the Word of God though.  Paul stated that all scripture is inspired.  Are you saying that the only inspired words from God are contained in those 66 books?  Are you saying that those 66 books are Gods word?   You say there are no inconsistencies?   I'm about to post something from exodus as an example.  Do you feel this is consistent with who God is showing himself to be?

Ex 21:20-21  When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

I think, I have answered your question over and over again. I am not going to repeat the answer because its not the one you want. 

Guest shiloh357
3 hours ago, ruck1b said:

JTC I really appreciate this comment.  I am 36 for clarity.   Also you also hit the nail on the head with what I was asking.  I also believe that the Bible is not the word of God, but contains God's word.    Again I thank you. 

I want to speak to the bolded, underlined part.

What your claim leads to is that parts of the Bible are not inspired Scripture and other parts are.   But the Bible doesn't make the claim about itself.  It presents itself as the Word of God in totality and makes internal claims to that end.

So if you think the Bible only contains God's word, then how do you set about determining which parts are from God and which parts are not?   I would love to see your hermeneutic process for making that determination.

Can you provide us with some verses in the Bible that you feel are not inspired and are not God's word and then show us how you arrived at that conclusion for each one?

12 minutes ago, The_Patriot2016 said:

I think, I have answered your question over and over again. I am not going to repeat the answer because its not the one you want. 

The problem it seems you are finding is  answering as if I am looking to have something solved.  That simply isn't the case.     I also have provided more questions in response to answers.  In any case, thanks for your replys. 

8 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

I want to speak to the bolded, underlined part.

What your claim leads to is that parts of the Bible are not inspired Scripture and other parts are.   But the Bible doesn't make the claim about itself.  It presents itself as the Word of God in totality and makes internal claims to that end.

So if you think the Bible only contains God's word, then how do you set about determining which parts are from God and which parts are not?   I would love to see your hermeneutic process for making that determination.

Can you provide us with some verses in the Bible that you feel are not inspired and are not God's word and then show us how you arrived at that conclusion for each one?

No where in the bible does it say that everything in there is the word of God or is inspired totally by him. 

Ex 21:20-21  When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

How do you reconcile this with God's character.   According to this from exodus God is cool with a slave getting beat within an inch of their lives as long as they don't die.  You believe that is inspired by God?    

2 minutes ago, Davida said:

Hello ruck1b, it has been my finding that usually when someone gives this same argument about the Bible not being the full Word of God , but in some parts just  being written by men,  it is not because they believe God's word too harsh in the OT,  but I've discovered it is because there is scripture in God's word that they don't want to apply obey fundamentally , so this is the real the reason for the cherry picking and not accepting the Bible as the infallible Word of God. Is this also the same in your case?  

I have discovered that when asked certain things about the Bible or God, especially thing that are difficult,  there is a ridiculous assumption placed on the person asking the question.    In any case you are more than welcome to share what you believe concerning  the question(s) I have presented.