HisFirst

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Days Won:  3

I was listening to the end of a program on the car radio the other day, where a group of journalists were discussing events over the past year - 2016.

One of the journos' said his new years resolution was to conciously switch off from social media, the internet - from the "waterfall of information" that is now our culture and the norm.

That term - waterfall of information - hit me like a brick - it is SO apt. It's constant (I have a love hate relationship with news atm).

He also said that folk are getting news direct from feeds via social media now, like twitter, facebook rather than legit news sites.

Every minute(so it seems) is something new - whether relevant or not.

Sometimes I feel its all too much and my brain is starting to go to mush.

Sorry.....a mild rant.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

25 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

He also said that folk are getting news direct from feeds via social media now, like twitter, facebook rather than legit news sites.

Interesting, I thought The Times, BBC and CNN was reasonable serious news media on Facebook.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Life must be so much easier being unplugged.  What we have now is a huge melting pot of lies, sprinkled with truth, due to technology which allows everyone from a child to great grandparents have become self appointed truth providers, as they see it.  Something to consider ... as we learned how to filter out normal noise in the news from actual facts, the father of lies opened up the spigot, allowing the world to portray their side of the "truth", creating information overload.

We are meant to be at peace in our spirit, living without fear.  By dumping a lot of falsehood out, available at our fingertips anytime/anywhere, has a tendency of moving us out of our peace and into fear and confusion.  Best to let the world worry about the world as we tend to the business of our Father.

16 minutes ago, HexHammer said:

Interesting, I thought The Times, BBC and CNN was reasonable serious news media on Facebook.

Hi HH,

Im not on FB so I don't have a clue but I think this journo meant people are basically getting most of their up to date info only through their social media feeds - not deliberately seeking news sites outside of their social pages....

does that make sense?

17 minutes ago, OneLight said:

Life must be so much easier being unplugged.  What we have now is a huge melting pot of lies, sprinkled with truth, due to technology which allows everyone from a child to great grandparents have become self appointed truth providers, as they see it.  Something to consider ... as we learned how to filter out normal noise in the news from actual facts, the father of lies opened up the spigot, allowing the world to portray their side of the "truth", creating information overload.

We are meant to be at peace in our spirit, living without fear.  By dumping a lot of falsehood out, available at our fingertips anytime/anywhere, has a tendency of moving us out of our peace and into fear and confusion.  Best to let the world worry about the world as we tend to the business of our Father.

I hear you OL,

This term fake news... methinks thats always been around -  why the sudden drama about that term?

1 minute ago, HisFirst said:

Hi HH,

Im not on FB so I don't have a clue but I think this journo meant people are basically getting most of their up to date info only through their social media feeds - not deliberately seeking news sites outside of their social pages....

does that make sense?

No, sorry it doesn't make sense.

I think 1 of the points vaguely made, was that on social media there are too much pollution of false information, if you only read BBC, The Times and CNN it would be pure info, but on social media people subscribes to less serious media thus they are polluted with lies and rumor mongering. 

2 minutes ago, HexHammer said:

No, sorry it doesn't make sense.

I think 1 of the points vaguely made, was that on social media there are too much pollution of false information, if you only read BBC, The Times and CNN it would be pure info, but on social media people subscribes to less serious media thus they are polluted with lies and rumor mongering. 

Hmm, ok - I think the gist was, say on twitter for instance, anyone can tweet news(is that right?) not necessarily credited journos...

I hear what you're saying too(above).

Edited by HisFirst

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Just now, HisFirst said:

I hear you OL,

This term fake news... methinks thats always been around -  why the sudden drama about that term?

Simply because people have a tendency of accepting/believing the outrageous.  Look at all the lies propagandized just within the past two years.  Instead of using common sense and seek truth, people have a tendency of grabbing a hold of what they want to hear, what better fits their thought pattern, not caring if it is the truth or not, just that is supports their belief system.

1 minute ago, HisFirst said:

Hmm, ok - I think the gist was, say on twitter for instance, anyone can tweet news(is that right?) not necessarily credited journos...

It's like here were we can write anything we want, that be lies, truths or just mere assumptions, only if it's greatly offensive it will be moderated. 

On social media it's harder to fact check, because what they say are what they might have seen when going for a walk, heard someone say, etc, contrary the word of the bible that is easily fact checked.

1 minute ago, HexHammer said:

It's like here were we can write anything we want, that be lies, truths or just mere assumptions, only if it's greatly offensive it will be moderated. 

On social media it's harder to fact check, because what they say are what they might have seen when going for a walk, heard someone say, etc, contrary the word of the bible that is easily fact checked.

Yep gotcha?

So any rubbish can get thru and be taken as serious.

Well thats the place to go then isn't it (social media) if you want a platform for whatevers on your mind.