• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0

An interesting encounter with Jesus Christ at Decatur Waffle-House

I took my brother to the Veteran’s Hospital in Atlanta for some medical procedures. Luckily he had an early appointment and we were able to get there in time to find some parking. One time I spent 45 minutes looking for a place, until, finally, fortune shined down upon me and found a spot. After his appointment,  we needed something to eat. He wanted eggs. So on the way home we stopped off at a Waffle House in Decatur on Covington Hwy.

In fact, the Waffle House we went to was just down the street from the original one that is now a Waffle House museum.

In Georgia, there are Waffle Houses everywhere. In Conyers, near the Monastery of the Holy Spirit, we have four that I know of, but I don’t go there often. While my brother had his eggs along with biscuits and gravy, I had a grilled chicken sandwich, which was delicious, and the coffee was black and strong.

I love the ambience of Waffle House. It’s a piece of a Southern culture that I love. I like to watch the short order cooks do their job, some of them are masters at taking in the constant barrage of orders and keeping everything straight. Orders are written down by the waitresses, shouted to the cook, then penned next to his large cooking area. The waitresses are down-t0-earth types, always friendly and attentive. I’m not saying the food is the best, or even good for you, but from time to time it’s a welcoming and familiar place to go.

As we left, there was a man in front of the restaurant on a bicycle. He was asking for money from two men who were coming in. They gave him something. He was walking past me, and I noticed that he had on a prosthetic leg from the knee down. I said “Hello” and we talked for a bit. He seemed rough, but not hardened, a man who was having a very hard time and just trying to survive.

I asked him if I could also give him some money. He seemed surprised at that and said, “Yes.” I gave him something and he thanked me profusely. So we talked a bit more. He lost his leg about five years ago due to diabetes and being homeless. He had lived at home but did not get along with his father, and moved out. His father must had been elderly, for the man seemed to be in his 50s.

He told me that he did not drink or do drugs, and to tell you the truth, even though he looked haggard, he did not have the look of one who was a drinker or a drug addict. Before we left, he asked me if I go to church, and I said, “Yes.” He gave me an exhortation to continue going to church and took off on his bike.

I couldn’t help but think what life might be like for him. He did not seem overwhelmed, but was just getting through the day the way all of us do. As my brother and I continued down Covington Hwy, I noticed him riding down the sidewalk at a good clip, so he must have been in pretty good shape.

When I first saw him, my impulse was to label him: ‘Drunk’ and ‘drug addict’ came to mind. But I caught myself and tried to encounter him as a simple human being, the same as me. Labels protect us from the messy humanity of others. Labels allow the labeler to box the person before them in a neat little package, and then after reducing their humanity to a mere stereotype we forget them.  Yet this man was human, struggling, and a true child of God.

If the Gospels are to be taken seriously, then when that man looked at me, his eyes were the eyes of Christ Jesus. If I labeled him, reduced him to a ‘thing’ then I was also doing it to Jesus Christ.

The world is full of people who are considered below contempt because they are poor, mentally ill, or just down on their luck. There are shysters who spend their days lying to those who offer help, taking advantage of their generosity and caring; thus, making it harder for those in true need to get the temporary help that they need. Yet I will not allow those cheaters to keep me from helping others. If I did, the scoundrels of the world  would win, and I would have to shut off my heart from those whom I can help. It’s a struggle to love and accept others, and I often fail in that endeavor more often that I would like to admit.

If I should start to label segments of mankind as unworthy, it would only be a matter of time until that they would become a multitude, each person looking at me with the eyes of Christ Jesus. God’s love and mercy, as shown us through Jesus Christ, is taking my entire lifetime for me to understand, and I am still learning, even at a humble Waffle House.

Edited by markdohle

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  477
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,560
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  9

Nice post brother Mark. I like the waffle house too. They have good hash potatoes. I do agree that no one can be judge for outward form. There iner life and person can be more true then someone who looks the part.I hate when people are called bums. Even if there drug addicts and don't work. How many become great people later on in there life.God loves them even when there so called bums. Of course God wants better for them to be conform into Christ image.

Guest bonnieschamberger

What a wonderful post and wafflehouse remains one of my favorite places to simply sit down and have a cup of coffee..such a good hideaway.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,618
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Love the essay, easy to see into a waffle house experience while reading it.  Thanks for the insight told about in the act of kindness by individuals toward others.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  9,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  06/12/1974

interesting..i might know that guy...if its the same guy i know...he used to stand right there at mountain industrail and 85 for years...he had same story you posted....only thing different was this guy lost his leg same way but longer than 5 years ago...he was white guy ,kinda tall...the guy i know did use drugs and he was one of the best at pan handling...,but i dont know if he still does... but was still a decent guy in my opinion...i gave him a ride a few times.nice post...i was homeless for years but i was to hard headed or to much pride to ask for money...but one day i did...i remmeber like it was yesterday...:)...this was back when they had pay phones...i went up to some guy and was like...do you have like 2 bucks so i can get some food?...i said im sorry for even asking im just hungry...with 2 dollars i can get some bologna and a loaf bread(i think i told him that)i remmeber he gave it to me...but didnt seem to happy about it though...but it might have been some of his last money for all i know...if i ever have trouble again im going to the Church...(i did go there one time before and they feed me on the spot).

And yes you have drug addicts that pan handle a lot too...I would rather not say why i know so much about this but they are good at it...They will give a fake story for money with no shame...but like you said...you can't just put all people going through hard times in one  basket...because i know from my life that sometimes people just go through hard times....and not from drugs or drinking,ect...

14 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

Nice post brother Mark. I like the waffle house too. They have good hash potatoes. I do agree that no one can be judge for outward form. There iner life and person can be more true then someone who looks the part.I hate when people are called bums. Even if there drug addicts and don't work. How many become great people later on in there life.God loves them even when there so called bums. Of course God wants better for them to be conform into Christ image.

I love the hash browns, I guess that is what gets me there LOL.  I get them with lots of onions.  From my perspective, you can never get too many onions.  I even like plain onion sandwiches.  

It is hard to put on the mind of Christ, or his heart, because of my tendency to make judgments so fast that I don't even know I made them ;-).  Yet in his mercy, he lets me know when I did it......it is a long journey, ever deeper in and higher up as CS Lewis says.

Always good hearing from you my friend.

Peace
mark

14 hours ago, bonnieschamberger said:

What a wonderful post and wafflehouse remains one of my favorite places to simply sit down and have a cup of coffee..such a good hideaway.

I do love their coffee, always have it black.  The last time I was there I mentioned how I like it dark and bitter and the waitress told me that I can order their dark roast, which they only make when asked for.....so guess what....yet dark roast next time.

Thanks for your nice comment.

Peace
mark

Edited by markdohle

14 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Love the essay, easy to see into a waffle house experience while reading it.  Thanks for the insight told about in the act of kindness by individuals toward others.

Your welcome Neighbor and thank you for taking the time to read.

Peace
mark

11 hours ago, shanee said:

interesting..i might know that guy...if its the same guy i know...he used to stand right there at mountain industrail and 85 for years...he had same story you posted....only thing different was this guy lost his leg same way but longer than 5 years ago...he was white guy ,kinda tall...the guy i know did use drugs and he was one of the best at pan handling...,but i dont know if he still does... but was still a decent guy in my opinion...i gave him a ride a few times.nice post...i was homeless for years but i was to hard headed or to much pride to ask for money...but one day i did...i remmeber like it was yesterday...:)...this was back when they had pay phones...i went up to some guy and was like...do you have like 2 bucks so i can get some food?...i said im sorry for even asking im just hungry...with 2 dollars i can get some bologna and a loaf bread(i think i told him that)i remmeber he gave it to me...but didnt seem to happy about it though...but it might have been some of his last money for all i know...if i ever have trouble again im going to the Church...(i did go there one time before and they feed me on the spot).

And yes you have drug addicts that pan handle a lot too...I would rather not say why i know so much about this but they are good at it...They will give a fake story for money with no shame...but like you said...you can't just put all people going through hard times in one  basket...because i know from my life that sometimes people just go through hard times....and not from drugs or drinking,ect...

I listen to my gut, which from time to time lets me know when not to give.  My gut led me to talk to this man and give him something.  Thank you for sharing your experience, I was touched by it.

Peace
Mark

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,479
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Great story.

We've all probably been there done that, as panhandlers go. As probably most here, I don't want to be an enabler or contribute to someone's drug or alcohol addiction or be made a fool of. I run across people with signs standing at an intersection in my small little town from time to time. Unless I'm 100% certain the person(s) are addicted to drugs, which has never happened yet... If I have any cash on me and traffic permits or I can pull over somewhere, I grab a Bible tract and stick some cash in there and give it to them, and maybe talk to them a minute to let them know I do see them. 

After the first couple of times seeing them I didn't have any Bible tracts with me. Now I always keep some in my vehicle as I should have done to begin with. 

I've wrestled with myself about the overwhelming odds of them being addicted to drugs and using the money to purchase drugs. I considered taking them to get a meal, but in this day and age it's not wise to give strangers a lift. I decided that if I was going to error, I'd rather error on the side of the slim possibility the need is genuine. And the possibility the individual(s) might read the Bible tract and come to know the Lord. 

I'm trying to open my heart to see if God will tell me something and give we wisdom in manners like these.