• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,566
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Two versions and a story, at https://theimmortaljukebox.com/2015/12/15/johnny-cash-brother-claude-ely-aint-no-grave/

I heard the slow Johnny Cash version of Ain't No Grave as a dirge, and wondered of it's origin. That's how I first learned of Brother Claude Ely and his music.

Though I am not the least bit a Pentecostal, I do love the story  of Brother Claude Ely, his possible effect upon early rockabilly and some music stars, but mostly i just love the lift of his tone, his spirit, or the Holy Spirit, as Brother Ely revels in praise and encouragement. 

An excerpt from the story of the song and Brother Ely includes this note..."

Brother Claude was born in Pucketts Creek, Virginia in 1922. He was brought up in the Pentecostal Holiness tradition and it soon became clear that Claude was one of those who felt the spirit profoundly. 

The legend goes that he wrote, ‘Ain’t No Grave’ as a TB stricken 12 year old in 1934. A Sears guitar was brought to him in his sick bed and then .. ‘By the hand of God my fingers began to play the chords and a voice came into my mouth to sing. From that day on I have been playing guitar and singing’."...

Many have done and still do versions  of this song including a good one by Russ Taff with the Gaither group, but none have the Spirit as  Brother Ely,  nor the soul longing as Cash does. Though of the "entertainers", Russ Taff is very very  good, far above the many others that do this song  more as entertainment than as praise and prayer  and confident plea.

Edited by OneLight
Please place all videos and links in the video section. Scattering links throughout the site is just too hard to keep track of.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

Glory~!

"For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me." Job 19:25-27

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Brother Joe

Your quote from Job has reminded me of a song I love..."My Redeemer Lives"....I will have to try to remember to ask a friend of mine that will know the version I'm thinking of,I can't recall the artist!            Now the song is playing in my head,over& over & over...lol                              With love-in Christ,Kwik

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  340
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  16,834
  • Content Per Day:  4.72
  • Days Won:  81
  • Birthday:  04/02/2000

On 2/26/2017 at 11:19 PM, FresnoJoe said:

Glory~!

"For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me." Job 19:25-27

Hallelujiah.

• 2 years later...

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,566
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Bumped up 12/28/19  A most exciting thought on a day of ( personally) harsh memory.