IGNORED

WorthyNews:Trump endorses merit-based system that would cut legal immigration by half

WorthyNewsBot

• Group:  Bots
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  39,879
  • Topics Per Day:  6.46
  • Content Count:  44,313
  • Content Per Day:  7.18
  • Days Won:  2

(Worthy News) - President Trump threw his support Wednesday behind a Senate bill that would cut legal immigration in half and impose a merit-based system, giving preference to English-speaking immigrants who demonstrate job skills and curtailing the traditional pipeline that rewarded extended family ties.

Meeting at the White House with Republican Sens. David Perdue of Georgia and Tom Cotton of Arkansas, the bill’s sponsors, the president said the legislation would be the biggest change to immigration policy in 50 years. His aides signaled that they expect it to be a major part of the national debate heading into midterm elections next year.

Democrats vowed to resist the changes, and immigrant rights groups said Mr. Trump was catering to “white nationalists” with the proposal, which would slash legal immigration over the next decade from about 1.1 million green cards a year to 500,000. [ Source:Washington Times (Read More...) ]

View the full article

Guest shiloh357

This is very much needed policy, but I doubt Congress will approve it.   It's actually a return to how did immigration early in the 20th century.   Back then you had to have a skill and speak English and prove that you could support yourself and your family and be an asset to the country.  

The argument that this caters to white nationals is absurd.  There are people of every ethnic/racial background who have skills and speak English who would be allowed to immigrate under this policy.  

What this policy would do is protect legal immigrants and minorities from illegals in competing for jobs in the US. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  898
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

On 8/3/2017 at 4:56 PM, shiloh357 said:

What this policy would do is protect legal immigrants and minorities from illegals in competing for jobs in the US.

hi Brother

I hope it is ok for me to ask.  But I am a bit puzzled - how the policy would do that?    I thought the policy is going to be targeting legal immigrants and / or those who want to come to the USA legally..  ?

Sorry just wondering thats all.  I hope it is ok for me to ask.  Thank you.

Edited by just_abc

Guest shiloh357
7 hours ago, just_abc said:

hi Brother

I hope it is ok for me to ask.  But I am a bit puzzled - how the policy would do that?    I thought the policy is going to be targeting legal immigrants and / or those who want to come to the USA legally..  ?

Sorry just wondering thats all.  I hope it is ok for me to ask.  Thank you.

The policy would limit immigration only to those who merit the right to immigrate into our country.   It would eliminate unskilled people cannot speak english and who would have to immediately on the public dole from entering  the US.  It means that legal immigrant and American citizens, especially minority citizens, would not have to compete with illegals for jobs.   Legal immigrants who can speak the language and have an education and a marketable skill will help the country and not be a drain on the system.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

Here's McCain, right on cue:

Report: McCain Wants Congress to Pass ‘Gang of Eight’ Amnesty Bill When He Returns

CTaP3p8WcAAVLnB.jpg

Blessings,

-Ed

Edited by SavedByGrace1981

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

It would eliminate unskilled people cannot speak english

That would mean that the majority of our ancestor would not have been allowed to come here. And by the way, unskilled worker does not mean someone who is on the dole. 

It's a slap in the face of what American stands for. I wonder if Trump's wife would have been able to get in under this policy? 

statueofliberty_sm-500x500.jpg

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

3 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

That would mean that the majority of our ancestor would not have been allowed to come here. And by the way, unskilled worker does not mean someone who is on the dole. 

It's a slap in the face of what American stands for. I wonder if Trump's wife would have been able to get in under this policy? 

statueofliberty_sm-500x500.jpg

I say let everyone in.  What the heck?

Who needs borders?

Blessings,

-Ed

Guest shiloh357
2 hours ago, LadyKay said:

That would mean that the majority of our ancestor would not have been allowed to come here.

Not really, our immigration policy originally required immigrants to have skills, education, be able to support your family while looking for work, be able to speak and write in English, and they had to undergo a full medical screening to make sure they were not bringing diseases into  our country.   You actually had to prove you were an asset to the country.

It's a slap in the face of what American stands for.

No, it doesn't do that at all.   Immigrating to the US is not a right that we owe anyone.  It is a privilege we grant at our discretion. Putting American citizens both native and naturalized first is pro-America and is in line with American values.

I wonder if Trump's wife would have been able to get in under this policy? 

She could speak English was an accomplished fashion model and owns her own business.  So yes, she was more than qualified when she became an American.

And by the way, unskilled worker does not mean someone who is on the dole. 

I never said it was.   But many illegal aliens come here with no money, no skills, no education, and unable to speak English and are content to live off of the government.  They are not the people we need in this country.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

Never mind. I am deleting this post because I am tired of arguing every time I make a comment about something. Have a good day. 

Guest shiloh357
11 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

A lot of people seem to be under the impression that immigrants come here and live off the government. I don't think that is true. Many have come and started their own business. And this isn't about illegals.

No, you don't understand.   Immigrants come here legally and they generally live productive lives.   Illegal aliens are not immigrants.  They are illegal and don't belong here and generally live off the public dole, or if they do work, they work illegally below min wage and don't pay taxes (in addition to getting benefits from the government).

There is no such thing as an "illegal immigrant."   Immigrants are what we need and want.  What don't want are illegal aliens.