JohnD

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  907
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,650
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Dr. Martin used to do several things rarely heard of in the churches he preached at. The most prominent being having a questions and answers session after his lectures / sermons.

I personally admired the man for returning the Church service (at least in part) to an [orderly] open forum. His colleagues thought he was crazy for doing so as they were prone to be easily bogged down and beleaguered by such a forum. The denominational party lines they taught often clashed with truth and certainly with scripture.

Martin gave credit to the Holy Spirit who often gave him answers to questions he did not have the answer to (up to that point).

He was the founder of the Christian Research Institute and the original Bible Answer Man (radio call in host). IMHO he was the ONLY Bible Answer Man. What followed him is the subject for another thread.

• Thanks 1

The problem with men and women like Dr. Martin is that they irk people. Not just the cultists, humanists, atheists, etc. But also the people in the Church who are trained up in the traditions of man and are in that comfort zone and do not want to be disturbed by anyone or anything. Especially not the truth.

There is only one truth.

The Word of God.

Written (Bible).

Personified (Jesus Christ).

51 minutes ago, Yowm said:

I use to call into his show. Today, he'd be raked over the coals by most of the Church for being blunt, unloving, direct, dogmatic and a know-it-all.

He was one of a kind!

Until I came across him in 1986 (BAM broadcast) I had no idea the Bible had actual answers in it.

Martin would often invite cults to attend his services.

Truth cannot be defeated.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.32
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

13 minutes ago, Davida said:

I love listening or reading Dr. Martin.  You're right those that don't want to be challenged by the Truth hated him and criticize him today.  Truth is blunt.  Jesus was straightforward and blunt when it called for it. He would drop some truth on people in his scriptural statements and in His parables and the unrepentant sinners & the Pharisees hated that.

Jesus sure was right to the point straightforward.   And what I noticed in the bible back then is still the same today.

Any sinner who desires to hear him, repent and love his message,   any sinner who does not desire to repent but loves sin......attacks it .

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

I use to call into his show. Today, he'd be raked over the coals by most of the Church for being blunt, unloving, direct, dogmatic and a know-it-all.

I never heard of this man.   Yowm, maybe we could hear your voice asking a question if we knew what show it was.

Do you remember what you asked or said.   

http://www.waltermartin.com/

Many of the old BAM broadcasts can be found here.

I haven't been in years since I don't use Real Audio (the format of Jill's [his daughter's] choosing) anymore. Gunks up my audio setting for what I record.

I used to race home on Fridays from work top record them from the CRI BAM rebroadcast after his passing away. Had hundreds of hours (on Cassette tapes but gave them away  thinking I could find the CD's). ← BIG mistake. :(

1 minute ago, Davida said:

Lol! I was just teasing Yowm about the show, he will want to maintain his privacy and anonymity. 

Look up Walter Martin frienduff,  there are many videos on youtube , i'm sure you will enjoy him.  His daughter Jill Martin-Rische  has continued his work somewhat and is sometimes a guest host on Jan Markell's  www.olivetreeviews.org 

Jill and Kevin are old friends. Love them to bits.

I'm on their message board there as well (but haven't frequented it for a number of years).

Jill also does a radio broadcast.

Glad to see and her sister Cindee getting along now that that agree about HHH and that move to Eastern Orthodoxy in April (showing his true colors).

1 minute ago, JohnD said:

Jill and Kevin are old friends. Love them to bits.

I'm on their message board there as well (but haven't frequented it for a number of years).

Jill also does a radio broadcast.

Glad to see and her sister Cindee getting along now that that agree about HHH and that move to Eastern Orthodoxy in April (showing his true colors).

What is HHH.

5 minutes ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

What is HHH.

Hendrick H. Hanegraaff the man who forced his way into the leadership of the Christian Research Institute, the Bible Answer Man Broadcast (which Martin founded), fired the experts Martin hired to replace him when he passed (as a committee) and who has recently (in addition to Preterism) embraced Eastern Orthodoxy.

Here's an article linked from WalterMartin.com http://www.christianpost.com/news/hank-hanegraaff-must-step-down-after-converting-to-eastern-orthodoxy-cri-founders-family-191983/