IGNORED

Christian music: Is it all good?

Guest Wanda01

Guest Wanda01

I love Christian music, mostly old hymnals, though there are a few more upbeat songs, like "I can only imagine", from MercyMe, that I really like as well. Back when I was a babe in Christ, I would have been forbidden to listen to groups like MercyMe, as they were considered too secular.

I often find myself even now wondering, "Should I (or my daughter) be listening to that?"

Recently my daughter shared with me some music she has been listening to. The groups refer to themselves as Christian, and there are some references made in a song or two that I have heard, to salvation (and to be honest, I had to strain to catch it) but thus far, no mention of Jesus Christ.

The music from one particular band would have been an "absolutely not!" 20 years ago. It's very heavy metal (the band is called Skillet). There are other groups as well that claim to be Christian rock, but sound very much like the old rock I might've listened to back in the day.

I worry for her. She is young, impressionable, and very trusting. I am also very much on my own raising her, as her father isn't really involved in the day-to-day. I really don't want her to listen to anything that could get her off of the straight and narrow. Yes, she is a born again believer.

Advice? 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Advice? No, counsel maybe. How about showing her what songs seem good to you for their declaration of sound doctrine in song? Pick all old tunes and hymns, both good and bad. Then later go into today's music with the same now trained ears and eyes, and rate the newer music by the same standard the old was rated. See if she doen't develop a sensitive ear, one that will avoid the poorer lyrics and know why.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  104
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/28/1993

I used to be a big fan of hip hop but then i listened to gospel then i connected. What you can do is to introduce her to the good music you would like her to listen.

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Just to set the record straight here, skillet does not market themselves as a "Christian" band. In John Coppers own words (the lead singer) they are "a group of Christians who love rock and roll".

While some of their songs do have a Christian message, some do not, though all their music is clean. They have had songs on both Christian and secular charts and are very popular.

They are one of my favorite bands, I listen to them regularly and so do my kids. I saw them in concert once, if was a lot of fun, but more importantly the salvation message was given in their concert, which I thought was pretty cool, especially from a band that does not label themselves a "Christian" band.

Anyway, food for thought I don't recall anywhere in the Bible that specifies what genre of music we have to listen to. Skillet is one of my top two bands I listen to, Red is the other. Red is similar to skillet in they're a harder rock bad, though they do market themselves as a Christian band. I like both because there's a lot more meat to their songs then most modern praise and worship and even a lot of your contemporary artists, while still providing a far more upbeat song.

Also skillet and red are not considered heavy metal though they are borderline....if that's All your concerned about I say let her listen to them. And some I think you might be surprised, do a YouTube of skillet songs "stars" "forgiven" "Lucy" and "the last night" you might be surprised in how much you do like them if you give them a chance. It's even better if you can find a live performance where John cooper shares the story behind the songs, especially the last night and Lucy.

• Loved it! 1

Guest Wanda01
29 minutes ago, The_Patriot2017 said:

Just to set the record straight here, skillet does not market themselves as a "Christian" band. In John Coppers own words (the lead singer) they are "a group of Christians who love rock and roll".

While some of their songs do have a Christian message, some do not, though all their music is clean. They have had songs on both Christian and secular charts and are very popular.

They are one of my favorite bands, I listen to them regularly and so do my kids. I saw them in concert once, if was a lot of fun, but more importantly the salvation message was given in their concert, which I thought was pretty cool, especially from a band that does not label themselves a "Christian" band.

Anyway, food for thought I don't recall anywhere in the Bible that specifies what genre of music we have to listen to. Skillet is one of my top two bands I listen to, Red is the other. Red is similar to skillet in they're a harder rock bad, though they do market themselves as a Christian band. I like both because there's a lot more meat to their songs then most modern praise and worship and even a lot of your contemporary artists, while still providing a far more upbeat song.

Also skillet and red are not considered heavy metal though they are borderline....if that's All your concerned about I say let her listen to them. And some I think you might be surprised, do a YouTube of skillet songs "stars" "forgiven" "Lucy" and "the last night" you might be surprised in how much you do like them if you give them a chance. It's even better if you can find a live performance where John cooper shares the story behind the songs, especially the last night and Lucy.

Never having heard of them before my daughter showed me one of their videos, I looked them up online. Here is where I got the info, whether legit or false, that they are a Christian rock band:

Skillet
Rock band

Skillet is an American Christian rock band formed in Memphis, Tennessee in 1996. The band currently consists of husband John and wife Korey Cooper along with Jen Ledger and Seth Morrison. Wikipedia

Origin: Memphis, TN (1996)

Perhaps I was about as clear as mud in my original post, but my concern is that:
While we are in the world, we are not to be of the world, and so much of the music being promoted as Christian, sounds like anything but. I don't want her listening to music that does not edify her in her walk as a young Christian. Also, as a mother who is very protective, I monitor everything...what she watches, listens to, etc....

Lol a lot of people like to label them a Christian band, but they themselves do not. John cooper opens up every concert saying as much. So just because you found someone on the internet that made that claim, doesn't mean they do. Its further evidenced by the fact they have many songs in the secular charts and often tour with non-Christian bands. You will not find that claim made by them anywhere.

And regardless, you still haven't provided a biblical answer to why you don't want her listening to then. So far all it is is "I think the style sounds wrong" without any biblical evidence. Keep in mind once upon a time even the hymns in your hymn book were considered evil and "worldly" sounding by the church.

Music changes....just because you don't like it (not saying you have to like it) doesn't make it bad, or evil. It just means you don't like it. I say let her listen to it, instead of driving a wedge into your relationship just because you don't like her taste in music.

Guest Wanda01
12 minutes ago, The_Patriot2017 said:

Lol a lot of people like to label them a Christian band, but they themselves do not. John cooper opens up every concert saying as much. So just because you found someone on the internet that made that claim, doesn't mean they do. Its further evidenced by the fact they have many songs in the secular charts and often tour with non-Christian bands. You will not find that claim made by them anywhere.

And regardless, you still haven't provided a biblical answer to why you don't want her listening to then. So far all it is is "I think the style sounds wrong" without any biblical evidence. Keep in mind once upon a time even the hymns in your hymn book were considered evil and "worldly" sounding by the church.

Music changes....just because you don't like it (not saying you have to like it) doesn't make it bad, or evil. It just means you don't like it. I say let her listen to it, instead of driving a wedge into your relationship just because you don't like her taste in music.

I've been discussing this with my husband and while he agrees that there isn't an instance he can provide where the Bible specifically states the genre of music we are supposed to listen to, his belief is that music should be edifying to the person. His personal opinion is that the video we did view of the song Invincible, seemed dark/worldly. I do believe I mentioned above that going back to when I was a babe in Christ, this music would have been off limits for the reasons I have already mentioned.

I could also say in reply that you haven't provided any sound Biblical evidence that supports your position but I started this thread to get opinions/advice/counsel, NOT seeking approval or argument.

I never said I didn't like the music. In fact, I enjoyed it but felt guilty, and then wondered if I was being lax in my parenting, allowing my daughter to listen to it.

Well I would like to point out, that I agree with that the song you watched, feel invincible, is not a "Christian" song and has no Christian message. Nor was it intended to. Nor is it played by in large on Christian radio stations. While it is moving up the secular charts and being played by many secular radio stations. 

Goes back to what I said earlier, skillet does not market themselves as a Christian band. There is a mistaken belief running around that they are, its not accurate. Not all their songs have a predominantly Christian message. Some do, some do not. Which is why I jumped In, because people are under the mistaken belief they are a "Christian" band and then can't figure out why some of their songs don't match up, and it gives them a bad rap.

Before you rush into judgement about skillet, check out the song I'm linking in this post. Listen to it all the way through, as well as the testimony in the beginning. It may change your mind.

Guest Wanda01
31 minutes ago, The_Patriot2017 said:

Well I would like to point out, that I agree with that the song you watched, feel invincible, is not a "Christian" song and has no Christian message. Nor was it intended to. Nor is it played by in large on Christian radio stations. While it is moving up the secular charts and being played by many secular radio stations. 

Goes back to what I said earlier, skillet does not market themselves as a Christian band. There is a mistaken belief running around that they are, its not accurate. Not all their songs have a predominantly Christian message. Some do, some do not. Which is why I jumped In, because people are under the mistaken belief they are a "Christian" band and then can't figure out why some of their songs don't match up, and it gives them a bad rap.

Before you rush into judgement about skillet, check out the song I'm linking in this post. Listen to it all the way through, as well as the testimony in the beginning. It may change your mind.

Thank you. I was listening to it under another tab when I saw your reply with the above link. I watched it with my daughter/husband and while she and I enjoyed it and appreciated the testimony, my husband remains on the fence, so to speak, about the band in particular, and the genre. So...nothing is really solved. A matter I will definitely be praying on.

3 minutes ago, Wanda01 said:

Thank you. I was listening to it under another tab when I saw your reply with the above link. I watched it with my daughter/husband and while she and I enjoyed it and appreciated the testimony, my husband remains on the fence, so to speak, about the band in particular, and the genre. So...nothing is really solved. A matter I will definitely be praying on.

Another one to look up is Lucy. Its hard to find the story that goes with it, its about a friend dealing with abortion. My all time favorite with them though is "stars"