Where is the final authority?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  2

Where do I turn to find the final authority on what part of the Old Testament should be followed?  Jesus said he didn't come to remove any of the law.  What does that mean?  Does that mean we should stone people for working on the Sabbath?  Scripture says to.

Most Christians don't keep the Sabbath or kosher laws.  Jesus never gave anyone permission to break the law.  The Sabbath is one of the ten commandments after all.

Did God establish an authority on Earth that decides what parts of the law we have to follow?  I think Jesus made it clear that the law still applies.

18 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Jesus said He came not to abolish the law but to Fulfill the law. And only He did that and offers the  resulting righteousness as a Free Gift through Him.

Do you keep the Sabbath and eat kosher?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,887
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

34 minutes ago, Yowm said:

That is part of the Levitical law intended for Israel before the death of Christ, not the Gentiles, besides Jesus fulfilled all righteousness in my place.

There is a new Priesthood and with it a New Covenant...a better Covenant.

Jesus said he came not to abolish any of the law.  What does that mean to you?

Keeping the Sabbath is in the ten commandments.  Is it okay to break any of the ten commandments?

Also, thou shall not make a graven image is part of the levitical law.  Should we discard that as well?  The largest and most ancient sects of Christianity do.  How do I know they are wrong for doing so?

Who decides what parts of the levitical law must be followed?

Edited by spiderman1917
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, BK1110 said:

How do I know the info on those links comes from an authority that is guided by God?  When a Christian provides information that disagrees with that with emphasis on the levitical law, how do I discern who is right?

Both have a Biblical defense of why they have opposite beliefs.

Don't you think God would establish an authority on Earth to settle such dogmatic disputes and confusion?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,887
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

You have to be discerning. What I gave you were not links to absolute truth, because only the Bible is that. They are just resources; take those, and then pray about them, examine them against the Bible, etc.

Most of what we no longer follow was procedural law meant specifically for Israel in their era. I'm not an expert, but you know how the animal sacrifices were a picture, pointing to Christ's ultimate sacrifice? Because of Christ coming and fulfilling the law, making it perfect so to speak, we no longer sacrifice animals. The underlying need for sacrifice is not gone, but Christ's sacrifice is sufficient for all people's needs in that regard for all time. Similarly some things that are moral laws, for example homosexuality, since that seems to be such a point of contention these days, is still a sin, but our response to it has changed; before, the concern of the law was to eradicate sin so it would not spread in that culture, but now the concern is evangelism and leading sinners to Christ, thus we no longer stone homosexuals.

The eating of certain animals is another good example; some like pigs and so on were outlawed in the old testament, and then in Acts 10 of course you have Peter's vision in which God tells him to kill and eat the "unclean" animals.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest shiloh357
5 hours ago, spiderman1917 said:

Where do I turn to find the final authority on what part of the Old Testament should be followed?  

Who was God speaking to when He gave the Law?

Jesus said he didn't come to remove any of the law.  What does that mean?

What Jesus said is that he didn't come to destroy the law but to "fulfill it.   The word fulfill in the Greek means to bring to fullest expression.   Jesus is the embodiment of the law which served no purpose except to point to Jesus.  The Sabbath, the Festivals the Sacrifices were all meant as sign posts to Jesus.

The commandments pertaining to hygiene, and the dietary laws, as such were meant to separate Israel from the surrounding pagan cultures.   Not all laws in the OT were given to all people for all time.

Most Christians don't keep the Sabbath or kosher laws.  Jesus never gave anyone permission to break the law.  The Sabbath is one of the ten commandments after all.

Christians are not commanded to keep the Sabbath or the dietary laws.  

Did God establish an authority on Earth that decides what parts of the law we have to follow?  

Yes, His Word.

I think Jesus made it clear that the law still applies.

Jesus made clear that He is the One the law pointed to.   Jesus is our Sabbath.  He is our rest. 

Man cannot live up to the righteousness demanded by the law, since the law demands 100% perfection.   So the righteousness we have was given to us by virtue of Jesus death on the cross and we are justified (declared righteous) by God by virtue of our faith in Christ.   His righteousness, His merit is imputed to us.  

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

You want to ask questions and when answers are provided, you don't want to listen. When someone answers, you question asking how can I trust the answer to be true? And you don't want to accept any answer. Then why even ask them? What is the motive of all these threads with questions?

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,253
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

We are instructed that we shall know them by their fruit

2 Timothy 3:7 (KJV)

[7] Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

surely we are seeing this fulfilled as we observe the produce...

1 hour ago, ravindran said:

You want to ask questions and when answers are provided, you don't want to listen. When someone answers, you question asking how can I trust the answer to be true? And you don't want to accept any answer. Then why even ask them? What is the motive of all these threads with questions?

I'm wondering who is the final authority.  Some say the word is, but the word doesn't tell me which OT Scriptures apply to me and which doesn't.

Actually, I'm learning from the answers.

I thank everyone for their input.

God bless you all! :)

Edited by spiderman1917
  • This is Worthy 1