• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

2 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

Hi Annette.  Yes too many verses have stood out for me. But I love Hebrews 12 verse 22 but you are   come unto mount Zion and unto the city of the living God. All the way down to verse 24. I always can feel that we are part and members of the city of God. And we are it is writes that our names are written in heaven. And it's written that we seat in the heavenly seat. Good subject!

Everyone waynes back .     Praise the Lord.   He still aint a hundred percent ,  but he is back .      Praise the Lord who makes our bed in all our sickness.   

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  0

Hi I am visiting other posts . but this one jumped out to me. Personalizing scripture is good but the Rabbit whole goes much deeper in the heart. we are to the grand picture only as dust in the air yet I know that he knows me and like His sheep he calls me by name. I know his voice in ways we could not imagine. I would like to share if I  may. My walk is very personal to me and I pray and read my devotions daily like the well know him says. I come to the Garden alone while the dew is still on the roses , and the joy we share as we tarry there none other has ever known . Sunday Morning I prayed and did my devotions before I left for service That song was in my mind as I thought that the hymns they sang were not like the hymns I knew and loved. After we were seated the first Hymn was put on the screen. It was my beloved hymn " I come to the Garden alone"

The Lord has put lessons in My devotion that spoke of the very things and varses I prayed before the fact. Each and every one of us who truly love him are very special to Him personally And wants to speak to us as in our room with Him ready to comfort us.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

On 1/30/2018 at 2:59 PM, Neighbor said:

Hi, Can't say that I have inserted my name into any passage or chapter or book of the Bible. Over time I have developed an aversion to  using isolated verses. 

Though my Lord Jesus would quote old testament, or the Bible Jesus used, and state "it is is written" and then make a quote, He was addressing individuals very familiar with the context of His quote.

I think all quotations need to be taken in at least immediate context of their fuller passage and chapter if not book of the Bible, and understanding of them be confirmed elsewhere within the Bible for there to be careful understanding of anything that does get  quoted or used in isolation for application in life.

So I think I am unlikely to pick a verse and personalize it by substituting my name into the text. Instead I am more likely to try to see the setting as it existed when written, to see the individuals to learn their circumstance heritage race customs etc. And then see how if at all it applies to my own benefit and profit today. By doing that I do find  that  I will be in a situation or just have decision to make and I will  "see" the Bible live and the people it addresses  and get my guidance that way.

I don't know that substituting my name into an isolated  verse would necessarily do that for me. I think I have need of what I guess is a slower approach to making relevant the word of God in my life.

Thanks for taking the time to share Neighbor. I do know that we all probably approach our reading of God's Word differently.

As I read through, it is great to find out what others do, and learn from each other.

I appreciate you sharing. God bless.

On 1/30/2018 at 4:44 PM, Dennis1209 said:

Hi Annette,

I don't insert my name in there per se, but I do apply it to myself if the context is about Christians and / or believers. But yeah, the Bible is very personal and speaks directly to our heart 'individually', and Christ died for us 'personally'. It's the greatest love letter ever written to us individually and personally! Praise the Lord! 

Hey Dennis,

Good to hear from you. Thank you for taking the time to share.

I am amazed when I take time to think of the blessing we have available to us. That we have the Bible available to us, to read and learn from.

I love that no matter how often we read or reread it, how it is possible to learn something new all the time.

God bless. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  903
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

Annette, my wife and I have done this for over 45 years, ever since we got saved.

But we're full-gospel folks, so I suppose that makes us a little weird! :D

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/30/2018 at 6:05 PM, Yowm said:

As way of example (not a point of debate), if Jesus died for the Elect only, well...

But since Jesus died for the world/all, I can unhesitatingly say that Jesus died for ME. lol

Hey Yowm,

It is always good to hear from you. :)

I just have to start reading some verses and I stand in awe...

I love that we have a God who cares for all of us and knows details about us that we don't even know 

God bless :)

On 1/30/2018 at 7:10 PM, Wayne222 said:

Hi Annette.  Yes too many verses have stood out for me. But I love Hebrews 12 verse 22 but you are   come unto mount Zion and unto the city of the living God. All the way down to verse 24. I always can feel that we are part and members of the city of God. And we are it is writes that our names are written in heaven. And it's written that we seat in the heavenly seat. Good subject!

Hi Wayne, I am so glad to hear that you have had verses to hold on to. Through the years I still keep learning and am enjoying memorizing Scripture with my girls.

A number of years ago, my Father in Law memorized Psalm 91. He loved to pray it as a prayer. I remember asking him if he was going to work on memorizing Psalm 119.

On 1/31/2018 at 9:25 PM, Mike Mclees said:

Hi I am visiting other posts . but this one jumped out to me. Personalizing scripture is good but the Rabbit whole goes much deeper in the heart. we are to the grand picture only as dust in the air yet I know that he knows me and like His sheep he calls me by name. I know his voice in ways we could not imagine. I would like to share if I  may. My walk is very personal to me and I pray and read my devotions daily like the well know him says. I come to the Garden alone while the dew is still on the roses , and the joy we share as we tarry there none other has ever known . Sunday Morning I prayed and did my devotions before I left for service That song was in my mind as I thought that the hymns they sang were not like the hymns I knew and loved. After we were seated the first Hymn was put on the screen. It was my beloved hymn " I come to the Garden alone"

The Lord has put lessons in My devotion that spoke of the very things and varses I prayed before the fact. Each and every one of us who truly love him are very special to Him personally And wants to speak to us as in our room with Him ready to comfort us.  

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share. I love it when we read a passage of Scripture and then hear it again in a totally different setting.

My husband loves music and he loves to find songs that speak to him in whichever situation He is facing.

I love that we have a great God, who loves and cares for each of us.

21 minutes ago, John Robinson said:

Annette, my wife and I have done this for over 45 years, ever since we got saved.

But we're full-gospel folks, so I suppose that makes us a little weird! :D

Hey John,

I love that you and your wife have enjoyed getting into and applying God's Word in your lives.

I guess we are all a little weird, but guess that is to be expected...

1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light...

God bless.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1