• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/18/1981

Biblically there are 2 types of tongues. Foreign languages, which you need an interperator for, and a Holy language that when spoken EVERYONE hears in their OWN language.

Act 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

Act 2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

Act 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Act 2:5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

Act 2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

Act 2:7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

Act 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Act 2:9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

Act 2:10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

Act 2:11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

If you notice at Pentacost there was no need for an interperator and everyone heard in there own tongue (language). This is also the same in almost every other verse that refers to tongues.

There are a few exceptions mind you, and those exceptions come when the word Tongues is used to describe foreign languages (which is also seen in Acts 2:8). First Corinthians has many of these examples, I suggest thoroughly studying that chapter with a Strong's Concordance in hand.

God Bless,

Dave

Ok in the other thread things drifted off into the mention of tongues, and WhySoBlind stated that all who recieve the Holy Spirit are evidenced so by speaking in tongues.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope I am misreading or drawing incorrect conclusions here.

It would follow that anybody who doesn't speak in tongues isn't a Christian. :cool:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, actually you have hit the meat of this Tongues theology. These groups teach that if one does not speak tongues they do not have the Holy Spirit, Biblically all believers recieve the HS, so by saying you donot have the HS they are in turn saying you are not saved.

God Bless,

Dave

Receving the Holy Spirit and baptism in the Holy Spirit are two different things. It all boils down to a few things. I do believe what most people don't. And in the end it won't matter a hill of beans who believes what...............if you believe Jesus Christ is your savior and you live for Him, then you are saved.

Tongues or not................there were no additional laws placed on your salvation. If you're heart is right, then you are saved.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really?? Can you show biblical support for these statements? Specifically the difference between recieving the HS and being Baptized in the HS.

God Bless,

Dave

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I've always been taught that you need someone to lay hands on you to be baptised in the Holy Spirit, and then you will receive the gift of tongues.

Not everyone starts speaking in tongues right away, though - after all, you ahve to actually open you mouth and let the words come out!

For me, I had to just speak out sounds until the language flowed out. (Please believe me when I say that it is indeed a language - when I try to imitate speaking a language, it doesn't work at all! I can tell this is different.)

So, with some statements made above, I'd like to see a test done.

But I need a willing volunteer.

:cool:

Someone who does not speak in tongues.

You have received the Spirit, right?

So, would one of you, on your own, ask the Lord for the gift of speaking in tongues?

And then verbally either let sounds come out of your mouth or verbally start praising the Lord until the new language comes out?

It would clarify a lot for me.

Thanks!

I've always been taught that you need someone to lay hands on you to be baptised in the Holy Spirit, and then you will receive the gift of tongues.

Not everyone starts speaking in tongues right away, though - after all, you ahve to actually open you mouth and let the words come out!

For me, I had to just speak out sounds until the language flowed out.  (Please believe me when I say that it is indeed a language - when I try to imitate speaking a language, it doesn't work at all!  I can tell this is different.)

So, with some statements made above, I'd like to see a test done.

But I need a willing volunteer.

:cool:

Someone who does not speak in tongues.

You have received the Spirit, right?

So, would one of you, on your own, ask the Lord for the gift of speaking in tongues?

And then verbally either let sounds come out of your mouth or verbally start praising the Lord until the new language comes out?

It would clarify a lot for me.

Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

neb,

I will tell you what, I will ask the Lord that if Modern day tongues are of Him that he gives me the gift to further glorify Him. And let you know how it goes, but I still donot see 1 biblical example of anybody speaking in tongues(Holy Language) that required an interperator.

God Bless,

Dave

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  745
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  09/27/1976

I'm pretty much with WIP and what she has posted in this thread. I think there needs to be a purpose, a reason, a result that glorifies God or brings people into the kingdom through tongues. That's why I believe in the "tongues" that are a real earthly language in order to tell someone something God needs them to hear, even if it is in a language you don't know. I had that happen to me. I am not very good at speaking spanish (getting better every day, but by no means fluent!) and it was a HUGE concern for me when I went on a missions trip to Peru last year. I prayed and prayed that I would be able to minister regardless of the language barrier. One day, we met a man and long story short I began talking to him in spanish. It was words I did not know, but when they came to mind, I knew how to say them and what they meant. It was words he needed to hear from God. It was really amazing! It also wasn't like I was overcome and couldn't control it or like I was "taken over" by God or anything (like portrayed in some hollywood enactments of such things) I knew what I was saying, and I understood, I also had the choice of not saying anything or saying it.

I also believe in the "private" tongues, but I don't think that is to be shouted for the masses to hear...what is the purpose of that then? If it is between you and God, that's were it needs to be. There is no edification when sounds nobody understands are screamed or shouted in the middle of a gathering....just confusion, I think. (or perhaps someone wanting to glorify themselves.... :cool: )

I also think that the gift of "tongues" is given to us for a specific purpose and time. I don't think I (or anyone) can just "call up" the gift of tongues at any given time when WE feel like it. It needs to be Spirit driven. JMO

I believe that ALL believers are baptized in the Holy Spirit and receive Him, regardless of tongues.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  12/21/1968

Biblically there are 2 types of tongues. Foreign languages, which you need an interperator for, and a Holy language that when spoken EVERYONE hears in their OWN language.

dwinkjr, you are forgetting another 'type' of tongues. a person's prayerlanguage. i know many people who pray in tongues. in which case, there is no need for an interpreter, because what is spoken is between that person, and God

dwinkjr, you are forgetting another 'type' of tongues. a person's prayerlanguage. i know many people who pray in tongues. in which case, there is no need for an interpreter, because what is spoken is between that person, and God

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Care to share where biblically this comes from? I would say God knows the heart and whether you mumble or don't even make an audible sounds God knows what your needs are.

God Bless,

Dave

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

And I always go back to . . .

It's amazing how those who speak in tongues and those who do not glean different meanings out of the I Cor. passage.

We have to remember that Paul's instruction wasn't "Tongues 101" - the instruction on the gifts most likely came verbally.

What Paul wrote to the Corinthians was concerning a misuse of the gift amidst the congregation.

I can appreciate how you who do not speak in tongues feel uncomfortable about the practice(s) of those of us who do exercise this gift.

Please understand, though, that once you have it you will find joy in it.

Sure, you can pray to the Lord in other ways, but there are times when - well - I just gotta pray in tongues. I don't know how else to express it. It just springs up like a well! :huh:

I hope one day my tongue may be used to witness to someone.

That would be awesome!

But remember, when the Spirit fell on the household of Cornelius and they spoke in tongues, there is no indication whatsoever given that there was anyone there who understood the languages they spoke, nor is there indication that anyone was interpreting what was being said.

The passage only states that the people spoke in tongues!