• Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  449
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/16/1964

14 minutes ago, KiwiChristian said:

What was HIS translation?

Kiwi, the OP asked us specifically not to open up debates on this thread, but to just have fun here.

So in keeping with that statement...

Da Jesus Book. :)

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kevintang/da-jesus-book-is-the-best-bible-translation?utm_term=.hwpOVkzRBz#.vgDRP5yOQy

Edited by Hidden In Him

• Group:  Members *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  870
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/22/1968

On 4/3/2018 at 3:47 AM, Still Alive said:

Well, he was Catholic, but my assumption was it was just something he came up with himself. Are you telling me that Catholics actually believe that?!

Yes.

According to their anti-Biblical teachings, mary was conceived and born without sin, did not die but ascended to heaven to become queen of heaven, that only SHE can get Jesus to say "yes" to our prayers and salvation cries, that mary remained a virgin, etc.

"He has only to let them make Pius IX a god, as we have made a goddess of the blessed Virgin." - Bishop Strossmayer

Pope Leo XIII, Adjutricem populi, 5 September 1895: O Virgin most holy, none abounds in the knowledge of God except through thee. None, O Mother of God, obtains salvation except through thee. None receives a gift from the throne of mercy except through thee.

From Bishop Liguoris' "The Glories of Mary", APPROVED by the vatican! "She (Mary) is . . . the ONLY hope of sinners: (p. 69),"We will be heard and saved sooner by going to Mary, and invoking her holy name, than that of Jesus our Savior. We will find salvation sooner going to the mother than going to the Son" (p. 82),"Many things asked of God and not received are asked and received from Mary (p. 82). All obey the precepts of Mary, even God" (p. 115). 

The catholic organisation teaches that mary is "Debtor to sinners", "Ladder and vehicle to Heaven", "Throne of grace", "Dispensatrix of graces". These are all LIES, for these titles belong to Jesus Christ, NOT mary.

"honor the Virgin Mary, and ye shall have life and eternal salvation"

"For to be right and good, worship of the Mother of God ought to spring from the heart; acts of the body have here neither utility nor value if the acts of the soul have no part in them" ENCYCLICAL OF POPE PIUS X ON THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION Given at Rome in St. Peter's on the second day of February, 1904, in the first year of Our Pontificate. http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/pius_x/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-x_enc_02021904_ad-diem-illum-laetissimum_en.html

"Sinners receive pardon by the intercession of Mary alone." St. John Chrysostom

"All those who seek Mary’s protection will be saved for all eternity." Pope Benedict XV

Pope Pius IX in 1854  “Let all the children of the Catholic Church ... Proceed to worship, invoke, and pray to the most blessed Virgin Mary, mother of God. ”  

"We have an advocate in Mary that the father, Son, and Holy Spirit cannot say no to. It is impossible for them to say no to her! -Fr. Stephan Scheier

“Hail, holy Queen, Mother of Mercy! Our life, our sweetness and our hope! To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping, in this valley of tears. Turn, then, most gracious Advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us; and after this our exile show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.” ( Doesn’t this sound like worship? )

Pope Benedict XV said of Mary that “[O]ne can justly say that with Christ, she herself redeemed mankind.” Pope Pius IX said, “Our salvation is based upon the holy Virgin... so that if there is any hope and spiritual healing for us we receive it solely and uniquely from her.” According to the Bible, this is a lie. Jesus Christ is our ONLY salvation. We are told this plainly and simply in Acts4:12 "Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

ALL HOLY - Mary, the All-Holy, lived a perfectly sinless life. (Catechism 411, 493) Romans 3:23 says "For ALL have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." Revelation 15:4 says, "Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name? For thou ONLY art holy." Romans 3:10 says, There is NONE righteous, no, not one." Luke2:22,24 proves she needed purification from sin.

4 minutes ago, Hidden In Him said:

Kiwi, the OP asked us specifically not to open up debates on this thread, but to just have fun here.

So in keeping with that statement...

Da Jesus Book. :)

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kevintang/da-jesus-book-is-the-best-bible-translation?utm_term=.hwpOVkzRBz#.vgDRP5yOQy

So you are happy to make statements, but not happy to back them up? What a shame.

On 4/3/2018 at 12:02 AM, kamptlneb said:

I seem to remember a church I attended as a teenager said that using instruments in the service was a sin.  Also, wearing nylons was forbidden because it makes men lust, so the ladies had to wear pants.

Well, you should know you are in a church and not a rock concert.

Females SHOULD dress modestly.

Ladies should NOT wear mens clothing. ie: pants.

On 4/3/2018 at 1:06 AM, Butero said:

I like instruments in church, especially a piano, but I could deal with a church that doesn't have them.  I just don't understand it as a rule.  I believe instruments are a method of praising God.

Yes, but drums and electric guitar and female "song leaders" are another thing

Another strange belief of mormonism is that God the father used be a man on another planet who had to earn His way to become one God among MANY Gods.

"God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens! That is the great secret. ...I am going to tell you how God came to be God. We have imagined and supposed that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea, and take away the veil,... It is the first principle of the gospel to know for a certainty the character of God, ...and that He was once a man like us; yea, that God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ Himself did; ...you have got to learn how to be gods yourselves, and to be kings and priests to God, the same as all gods have done before you, namely, by going from one small degree to another,... from exaltation to exaltation, until you attain to the resurrection of the dead, and are able to dwell in everlasting burnings. and to sit in glory, as do those who sit enthroned in everlasting power" (History of the Church, Vol. 6, Ch. 14, p. 305-6).

"It appears ridiculous to the world, under their darkened and erroneous traditions, that God has once been a finite being" (Deseret News, Nov. 16, 1859, p. 290).

"Our father in heaven, according to the Prophet, had a father, and since there has been a condition of this kind through all eternity, each Father had a Father" (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:47).

"I know that God is a being with body, parts and passions...Man was born of woman; Christ, the Savior, was born of woman; and God, the Father was born of woman" (Deseret News, Church News, Sept. 19, 1936, p. 2).

"The Father is a glorified, perfected, resurrected, exalted man who worked out his salvation by obedience to the same laws he has given to us so that we may do the same" (A New Witness for the Articles of Faith, p. 64)

Joseph Smith: "I will preach on the plurality of Gods. I have selected this text for that express purpose. I wish to declare I have always and in all congregations when I have preached on the subject of the Deity, it has been the plurality of Gods. It has been preached by the Elders for fifteen years."

Joseph Smith: "The head God organized the heavens and the earth. I defy all the world to refute me. In the beginning the heads of the Gods organized the heavens and the earth."

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  449
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/16/1964

9 minutes ago, KiwiChristian said:

So you are happy to make statements, but not happy to back them up? What a shame.

No offense, Kiwi, but if I had taken the conversation seriously to begin with I wouldn't have posted about it here. And while I'm not trying to offend you, in all honesty, if I were to have a serious discussion on it it would be with someone like Butero, whose responses suggest he would not easily get into contentious debate over the issue, despite having his own opinions on the matter.  

38 minutes ago, Butero said:

Edited by KiwiChristian

23 minutes ago, Hidden In Him said:

No offense, Kiwi, but if I had taken the conversation seriously to begin with I wouldn't have posted about it here. And while I'm not trying to offend you, in all honesty, if I were to have a serious discussion on it it would be with someone like Butero, whose responses suggest he would not easily get into contentious debate over the issue, despite having his own opinions on the matter.  

Wow. how offensive.

40 minutes ago, Butero said:

I believe that about mine, because the original Greek and Hebrew texts are no longer available.  I would use the KJV Bible ahead of any Greek or Hebrew manuscripts out there as the starting point in creating any new translations in other languages.  The next best thing would be the Geneva Bible.  You can add me to the camp of holding to that "strange belief."  :D

Don't worry.  I am not looking to get into an argument in what has been a friendly discussion on strange beliefs.  Carry on.  :cool:

bear in mind that all translations did NOT come from just ONE textline, but two. Antioch and alexandria