• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,189
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Yowm said:

Still, without His Word we would be deceived and directionless in this world of competing and deceiving spirits. I would also put grace and mercy at the top of that list in importance.

One more trip around the mountain. :)

much love in Christ, Not me

4 hours ago, Christine said:

‘Quench not the Spirit
Despise not prophesyings. 
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.' 

(1 Thess. 5:19-21)  

You can only separate “quench not the Spirit”  to the time of the Acts, if you separate “prove all things” and despise not prophesying” also. Since that can not be,  you cannot separate “quench not the Spirit” either. They are directions to the body of Christ as a whole. 

Hello @Not me,

* The special gifts which were peculiar to the Acts period are made clear in 1 Corinthians 12. They were given by the Holy Spirit and distributed to believers as He willed.  The gift of prophecy was one of them, so it was not so much the Holy Spirit who could be quenched, but the special gift he had given. 

I do not hold true to the idea that the gifts where just for the times of the Acts. I believe the reason their not being manifested today, is because nobody is walking close enough to the Lord to manifest them.

'And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.' (1 Cor 14:32)   

* No one was compelled by irresistible power to use whatever gift had been given, but It could be neglected and therefore 'quenched'.  The warning not to 'quench the Spirit' was specially related to believers living in the period covered by the Acts of the Apostles.  

Ad stated above,  I don’t believe the gifts where given just for the time of the Acts. Reasons as stated above. 

Not only could these gifts be quenched, they could be counterfeited and so the Thessalonian believers are warned to 'prove all things'.

* These sign gifts were not an unmixed blessing, for they gave the Enemy an opportunity of doing his clever work of copying and imitating the work of God in order to deceive.  Those today who long for them back should remember this and the dangers attached to them. I am thankful that I belong to a calling where there are none, but every blessing is spiritual and connected with riches beyond dreams associated with Christ Jesus the risen Lord at God's right hand (Eph. 1:3,18: 3:16-19).

In Christ Jesus
Chris

It is true Satan has always tried to exalt himself above God. 

Thats why it’s nice to hear God has planted you in part of the body where you can grow.

As we are told to encourage one another to good works. Keep pressing in. 

Much love in Christ, Not me

5 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Was just thinking, how does a 'personal relationship' help you in the area of prophecy without God's Word? Does He personally tell you the events about to transpire or do you have to look to His written Word? Just wondering.

Why don’t you ask Him, if it concerns you so. 

@Yowm

My answer is feed your personal relationship with Christ and all these things will be showed you. 

Just now, Yowm said:

Waiting 'your' response...not mine. Please don't dodge my question.

Once again my answer is;

Feed  your personal relationship with Christ and all these things will be showed you. 

That is my answer Yowm,  for it’s the only one that will cause you to grow. 

@Yowm

You are welcome to guess all you want. But when you decide you want to know. Follow my advice. Feed your personal relationship with Christ and He will reveal all these things to you. 

Just now, Cobalt1959 said:

You could just mean this twist of a phrase differently than I understand it, but to look "within us," in the way you use the term is actually a huge mistake.  Conviction comes from outside, not inside.  If I look within, I am always going to attempting to verify the very thing that the inherent sinful nature within me wants me to satisfy and whatever that is, it is always about Self.   If you claim to have overcome this internal yearning for things and actions you should not do, you are fooling yourself.  Because if you want it bad enough, there is always going to be an internal voice whispering to you and rationalizing reasons why you should just go ahead and do it.  Conviction comes from outside.  The Holy Spirit lives within you, but His admonitions are always going to go 180 degrees against what your own internal desires will be so your advice is actually extremely poor.

When God convicts you of sin, where is that conviction? Answer; in your heart. 

And yes, God has made a way for us to walk in newness of life. And that way is by “reckoning yourself died onto sin but alive onto God” this is Gods only way to have victory over the old man and his deeds. But it is to the degree one knows that when Christ died he died. It is to that degree will freedom from sin be found. 

3 minutes ago, Yowm said:

So you are saying you don't need God's Word to see what is ahead prophetically wise...just 'feed your personal relationship'.  Please don't respond further until you want to be honest with me about my two questions below.

I am saying to you if you want to know the answers to your questions. You should feed your personal relationship with Christ and He will show and reveal these truths to you. 

Much love in Christ, Not me

8 minutes ago, Cobalt1959 said:

That is not what he is saying and the fact that his rebuttals force you into ad hominems instead of dealing directly with what he said reveals much.  Anyone can say they have a "personal relationship" with Jesus.  So what?  If that same person is drowning a kitten in a bucket as they say this, am I supposed to believe them just because they magically invoke the name of Jesus and attach the term "relationship" to it?

Anyone can say “have a personal relationship with Christ” but what’s being discussed is actually having a personal relationship with Christ. 

2 minutes ago, Cobalt1959 said:

You did not actually deal with anything I said.

The conviction comes from outside because no internal carnal source is going to convict me of sin.  The Holy Spirit is not a Magic Jeannie that pops up and bludgeons me into submission and overcomes my free will.  If you think this is how it works, you do not adequately understand how both conviction and sanctification work.

You attempt to set up a scenario where super-spiritual people are more in tune with the Holy Spirit than anyone else, and as a result, their sins are much less than run-of-the-mill Christians, and their holiness is at a much higher level than the plebeian-level people you deem to interact her on this forum. 

By your profile, I see that you do not want people here to have much information on you.  Why is that?  Surely a person as spiritually advanced as you should be an open book . . .

Question;

When God convicts you of sin. Where is that conviction?