IGNORED

The Dangerous Lie of Preterism

Guest shiloh357

Guest shiloh357
2 hours ago, Still Alive said:

So, what, exactly is being argued about being written either in 69 or 96?

I understand the general understanding, but this discussion seems to be about a specific book or document.

The book of Revelation  was written in 95 AD.   But for Preterism to be true, it has to be written before 70 AD.   Preterism hangs on the date of Revelation because if Revelation is written AFTER 70 AD, their entire argument falls.  

The historical evidence does not support any claim that Revelation  was written prior to 70 AD.   That's why Preterism relies very heavily on allegorizing the Bible, rather than employing a faithful, interpretative approach to the Bible.  

Because it denies the bodily return of Jesus, it qualifies as a heresy.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

8 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

It would certainly not be what we call a Christian belief, that's for sure.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Still Alive said:

I confess that I'm a "partial" Preterist. But I don't label it. I just think the fall of Jerusalem was part of what it is talking about. It also hit me, about 20 years ago, that somewhere around the year 2018 might factor into all the end times stuff. I base it on this: it says that this generation will not pass away until all these things come to pass. And the length of the life of a generation as described in the bible, post flood, is roughly 70 years. And Israel became a nation in 1948.

What's interesting is just how much events really do seem to be coming to a swift close, forgetting about the semi-date-setting I did back then. I do believe that if the R's keep control of congress in this next election cycle, it could get pretty ugly in the US, but that's not the whole world.

But it's just speculation on my part.

Oh, and you're 9 years older than me, ya old fossil! :)

In truth, ALL OF US ARE PARTIAL PRETERISTS, even if we try to vehemently deny it.  We all believe some of the OT prophesies were met (completed and came to pass) in Jesus.

Guest shiloh357
3 minutes ago, Willie T said:

In truth, ALL OF US ARE PARTIAL PRETERISTS, even if we try to vehemently deny it.  We all believe some of the OT prophesies were met (completed and came to pass) in Jesus.

Wrong. That is not what partial Preterism is.   The promises of the first coming of Jesus that were fulfilled in His first coming do not count toward being a partial preterist.

Partial Preterists believe that the end times prophecies of Daniel, The Olivet Discourse and the Book of Revelation except for 2nd coming and the events following the 2nd coming, have been fulfilled. 

8 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Wrong. That is not what partial Preterism is.   The promises of the first coming of Jesus that were fulfilled in His first coming do not count toward being a partial preterist.

Partial Preterists believe that the end times prophecies of Daniel, The Olivet Discourse and the Book of Revelation except for 2nd coming and the events following the 2nd coming, have been fulfilled. 

Well, I guess I'm not a partial preterist either. Labels always challenge me in these discussions. Especially subjective labels.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.33
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

57 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

The book of Revelation  was written in 95 AD.   But for Preterism to be true, it has to be written before 70 AD.   Preterism hangs on the date of Revelation because if Revelation is written AFTER 70 AD, their entire argument falls.  

The historical evidence does not support any claim that Revelation  was written prior to 70 AD.   That's why Preterism relies very heavily on allegorizing the Bible, rather than employing a faithful, interpretative approach to the Bible.  

Do preterists or etc also claim that the second coming of JESUS is when he comes within us .  I heard some teach that .  And boy doodles is that false as well.

IF the rapture or events paul spoke of in corithians fifteen or thess chapter four ,    Was about Christ coming to indwell the believer , THEN WHY DID PAUL HIMSELF

speak of it as a FUTURE EVENT .    I mean did paul not have the spirit of Christ already IN HIM .     I have heard some teach that stuff,  IS that tied into some kind of preterism belief,

if so its some messed up things getting taught .

10 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Hey, Shiloh. Just a friendly word of internet etiquette: I think it is best to never start a post with the single word sentence, "Wrong." I'll be honest, it just rubs me the wrong way and whenever I see it I always picture a high school kid arguing with his friends. I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm just saying how some people (me, at least) perceive it.

Guest shiloh357
Just now, frienduff thaylorde said:

Do preterists or etc also claim that the second coming of JESUS is when he comes within us .  I heard some teach that .  And boy doodles is that false as well.

No, they teach that the 2nd coming was in 70 AD when the Temple was destroyed.  They allegorize that event and call it the 2nd coming and they believe it is the fulfillment of Matt. 24 and the Olivet Discourse.

IF the rapture or events paul spoke of in corithians fifteen or thess chapter four ,    Was about Christ coming to indwell the believer , THEN WHY DID PAUL HIMSELF

speak of it as a FUTURE EVENT .    I mean did paul not have the spirit of Christ already IN HIM .     I have heard some teach that stuff,  IS that tied into some kind of preterism belief,

if so its some messed up things getting taught .

Acts 1:11 promises a literal, future  bodily return of Jesus to earth, not a symbolic or allegorical one.  

1 minute ago, shiloh357 said:

No, they teach that the 2nd coming was in 70 AD when the Temple was destroyed.  They allegorize that event and call it the 2nd coming and they believe it is the fulfillment of Matt. 24 and the Olivet Discourse.

Acts 1:11 promises a literal, future  bodily return of Jesus to earth, not a symbolic or allegorical one.  

JESUS resurrected body was a physical body .  it was celistieal but it was physical , it could be touched , felt .

We will too .    BUT PRAISE BE TO GOD ,  it wont be the old flesh wherein evil is ,   IT WLL BE FREE FROM ALL THAT .  

8 minutes ago, Yowm said:

I believe some 'amillennialists' teach that.

They have two convenient rules.

Rule #1 Spiritualize everything so one can deny a literal Millennial reign.

Rule #2 Spiritualize everything you did not in Rule #1.

But yowm, that is some dangerous, serious danger stuff they teach .   If we so call spiritualize that , how long before we make UP what we think it means .   OOPS they already do that .