Guest shiloh357

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  1

I am so awed.  (and I can't even walk on water. :mellow: )

• Haha 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,029
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  3

1 minute ago, Davida said:

I don't buy that you were as you claim, you posts are somewhat conflicting and chameleon-like .

They only appear that way. Kinda like the bible. ;)

BTW, I use smileys because communication is only 20% words. The rest is in voice inflection, facial expression, body language, eye contact, etc. Smileys try to cover at least some of that so it's not too dry.

I used to hate smileys because I thought they were juvenile. I changed my position on that. And no, that is not me being a chameleon. ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Davida said:

You talk error, attack the Bible and follow what tickles your ears.;) 

No, I don't. I attack English translations only insomuch as I know they are not as accurate as the original language. And just because something is good news, doesn't mean it "tickles your eyes".

And just because I (and the sources I respect) disagree with you (and sources you respect) doesn't mean I am in error. It means we disagree. And I'm willing to admit that I may be wrong. It's happened before but, fortunately, I was very young at the time. :D

• Loved it! 1

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, Still Alive said:

No, I don't. I attack English translations only insomuch as I know they are not as accurate as the original language.

No, that is not really true.  God has preserved His word perfectly. Again, you are really not qualified to sit in judgment on original translations.

7 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

No, that is not really true.  God has preserved His word perfectly. Again, you are really not qualified to sit in judgment on original translations.

Actually, I am. I have a human brain, eyes, and the motivation to understand it. The phrase, "sit in judgement" is just an attempt to trigger. ;)

The idea that you want to take away that God given right is perplexing, and maybe just a touch telling.

Guest shiloh357
Just now, Still Alive said:

Actually, I am. I have a human brain, eyes, and the motivation to understand it. The phrase, "sit in judgement" is just an attempt to trigger. ;)

The idea that you want to take away that God given right is perplexing, and maybe just a touch telling.

No, it is what you seem to think you have the right to do when it comes to English translations.   You clearly have a lot of problems with basic hermeneutic principles and so you clearly don't have the qualifications to decide just how good of a job the translators did in giving us the Bibles that we read.   It is always people who know the least who overestimate their abilities.

I am not taking away anything from you.   Just pointing out that you are not expert enough to really judge translations against the original languages.   There men with far more education than either of  us who are not even qualified to sit in judgment on translators and it goes without question that neither of us are in that position either.   You need to muster up the humility to admit it.

3 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

No, it is what you seem to think you have the right to do when it comes to English translations.  

Sez who" :D

The ultimate authority is God. And I have an easy test for whether or not gives me the right to choose to do a thing: Try to do it. If you can do it, God has given you the right to choose to do it and be successful. It doesn't mean it will go well for you if you do, of course. Just ask the guys on death row.

But show me anywhere in the bible where it tells me I don't have the right - in the bible (ANY bible) - to interpret the reliability of the English translations.

6 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Just pointing out that you are not expert enough to really judge translations against the original languages.   There men with far more education than either of  us who are not even qualified to sit in judgment on translators and it goes without question that neither of us are in that position either.   You need to muster up the humility to admit it.

Are you seriously going to play that card? That's the same card the Pharasees played, for gol-darned sakes. :D

I confess that there is risk in what I'm doing. It's why it is done prayerfully. God will not leave me hanging, high and dry, unless it is part of his plan, as it was with Pharaoh (according to Romans 9). And if that is the case, there is not a darned thing you or I can do about it. So I seek him and his wisdom for me and let the chips fall where they may.

You may have a different methodology for which you were created. That's great. Let's just leave each other to our own methods and let the Holy Spirit do his work, ok? Even the apostles had their disagreements. ;)

• Loved it! 1

Guest shiloh357
5 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Are you seriously going to play that card? That's the same card the Pharasees played, for gol-darned sakes. :D

Which is a completely ignorant response.   You don't know beans about the Pharisees or you wouldn't say that.

I confess that there is risk in what I'm doing. It's why it is done prayerfully. God will not leave me hanging, high and dry, unless it is part of his plan, as it was with Pharaoh (according to Romans 9). And if that is the case, there is not a darned thing you or I can do about it. So I seek him and his wisdom for me and let the chips fall where they may.

Which only reinforces what I have said about your lack of qualifications when it comes to sitting judgment on translators and translations.

You may have a different methodology for which you were created. That's great. Let's just leave each other to our own methods and let the Holy Spirit do his work, ok? Even the apostles had their disagreements. ;)

It's not about methodologies.  It is simply a reaction to your pride and the arrogance that drives you to think you know more than people with far and away more education and experience in the field of translation.

And don't even try to bring the Holy Spirit into this.  Your approach while no doubt is led by "a" spirit, is not part of anything the Holy Spirit is doing.

Guest shiloh357
11 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Sez who" :D

The ultimate authority is God. And I have an easy test for whether or not gives me the right to choose to do a thing: Try to do it. If you can do it, God has given you the right to choose to do it and be successful. It doesn't mean it will go well for you if you do, of course. Just ask the guys on death row.

But show me anywhere in the bible where it tells me I don't have the right - in the bible (ANY bible) - to interpret the reliability of the English translations.

It's not just English translations,  you sit in judgment on the accuracy of the Bible, period.