• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  406
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

16 hours ago, listener24 said:

That's a great question. The same question the disciples asked Jesus. (Luke 11:1-13)
These are His suggestions:

“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

“This, then, is how you should pray:

“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10 your kingdom come,
your will be done,
    on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
    as we also have forgiven our debtors.

13 And lead us not into temptation,[a]
    but deliver us from the evil one.[b]

The prayer "thy Kingdom come" is primarily the prayer for Jesus Return.

Is the same prayer in Revelation:

The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let the one who hears say, "Come!" (Revelation 22:17)

and

20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. (Revelation 22:20)

With this prayer, we are taught that we are speeding up the Return of Jesus. (Luke 18:1-8, 2Peter 3:12)

This prayer, when finally fulfilled, will fix at once all problems: poverty, illness, unjust governments etc. etc., because

4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’[a] or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” (Revelation 21:4)

Of course, keeping in mind this as the primary purpose of prayer, it is also great to talk to God about what you are going through. Not that God needs to know it from you, but it can be for your own self edification, and meanwhile you can go deeper into the Scripture while you try to understand the best thing to do in every situation.

But when it comes to asking something to God, there's no more Biblical and sanctifying request than the one above from the Scriptures. If you seek the Kingdom of God and His justice first, everything else needed for the mission will be given to you without asking (Matthew 6:33)

Christians don't pray the "Our Father"

[1]Because the Kingdom of God  has already come, It came on the day of Pentecost, Either that, Or Jesus was telling lies, in Mk 9: 1, Because all those are dead now. The Kingdom of God is with us now, Rom 14: 17-18.

[2]Because God doesn't lead anyone into temptation, See Matt 6: 13.  James 1: 12--13.

[3]Jesus has already delivered us from the evil one. Col 1: 13. and we are to resist the devil. James 4: 7. 1 Pet5: 8--9. Please note, We are to do the resisting, God didn't say He will do it for us.

There are parts of the "Our Father" we can pray, such as, His will be done,  Matt 6: 10. Ask God for what we need. v 11. and if we sin, we can ask God to forgive us, v 12.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  650
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

1 hour ago, Alan Hales said:

Christians don't pray the "Our Father"

[1]Because the Kingdom of God  has already come, It came on the day of Pentecost, Either that, Or Jesus was telling lies, in Mk 9: 1, Because all those are dead now. The Kingdom of God is with us now, Rom 14: 17-18.

[2]Because God doesn't lead anyone into temptation, See Matt 6: 13.  James 1: 12--13.

[3]Jesus has already delivered us from the evil one. Col 1: 13. and we are to resist the devil. James 4: 7. 1 Pet5: 8--9. Please note, We are to do the resisting, God didn't say He will do it for us.

There are parts of the "Our Father" we can pray, such as, His will be done,  Matt 6: 10. Ask God for what we need. v 11. and if we sin, we can ask God to forgive us, v 12.

Thanks, what you have outlined is exactly the kind of ideas that are slowing down Jesus Return

Meanwhile billions of people suffer all over the world.

Whoever don' t hasten His Return, slows it down.

Congratulations for teaching the exact contrary of what Jesus said. With all my best efforts I wouldn' t be able to come out with the contrary of what Jesus taught so well as you did.

Jesus said to not waste words like the pagans, and pray the Lord prayer. If you understood the Lord prayer you wouldn' t throwing it away as you are doing.

Instead you are teaching how to waste words and how to NOT pray the Lord prayer.

But what Jesus said in Matthew 6, will NOT pass away.

Heaven and earth will pass away, as well as all human ideas, But His words will NOT pass away.

BEWARE of preterism and everything even slightly similar! 

Then he said to his disciples, "The time is coming when you will long to see one of the days of the Son of Man, but you will not see it.

People will tell you, 'There he is!' or 'Here he is!' Do not go running off after them.

For the Son of Man in his day will be like the lightning, which flashes and lights up the sky from one end to the other.

Now below this post I will leave quick answer to your points that try to destroy the Lord prayer, the prayer taught by God incarnated, in favour of human prayers against which God incarnated warned us:

Edited by listener24

No, the Kingdom has not come. It may have come into your imagination when you try to forget that millions of people still suffer starvation, war, persecution, slaughters, natural disaster etc. etc. while you are enjoying a beer.

But regardless the lies, unless the King will not come back we can't say that the Kingdom has come. The King has been among us for a while, but then He has been taken away:

Then he said to his disciples, "The time is coming when you will long to see one of the days of the Son of Man, but you will not see it.
People will tell you, 'There he is!' or 'Here he is!' Do not go running off after them.
For the Son of Man in his day will be like the lightning, which flashes and lights up the sky from one end to the other.
(Luke 17:22-24)

Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place." (John 18:36)

But he continued, "You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. (John 8:23)

So when they had come together, they asked him, “Lord, will you at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?” He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth Acts 1:6-8

Then read the whole Matthew 24.

You are confusing the coming of the Kingdom with the fact that we have received the Spirit to testify Jesus until His Return. This mistake have many names, one of it is "preterism", and its most dangerous effect is to slow down Jesus Return by making us stop desiring it and and stop praying for it.

The most correct translation is "do not abandon us into temptation". Anyway, until God will separate completely satan from us, and throwing him into the lake of fire, we are still subject to temptations, so we are asking God to separate us from the evil one once and for all. This leads to the next point:

No, we are still subject to the devil attacks. But one day Jesus will deliver us from the devil forever, and we are asking for the coming of that Glorious Day:

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. [...]

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. (Matthew 25)

This is gonna be the final deliverance from the evil one, regardless of what already happened in your imagination, because right now the evil one is still causing devastating damages in terms of lost souls, suffering, famine, disasters. etc. etc.

Instead of fighting this holy hope by spreading ideas that everything already happened and by attacking the Lord's prayer, the prayer of God incarnated, you could join the prayer to hasten it (2 Peter 3:12, Luke 18:1-8)

The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let the one who hears say, "Come!"

He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming soon." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus. (Revelation 22 17, 20)

Thy Kingdom come. Maranatha.

Edited by listener24

2 hours ago, listener24 said:

Thanks, what you have outlined is exactly the kind of ideas that are slowing down Jesus Return

Meanwhile billions of people suffer all over the world.

Whoever don' t hasten His Return, slows it down.

Congratulations for teaching the exact contrary of what Jesus said. With all my best efforts I wouldn' t be able to come out with the contrary of what Jesus taught so well as you did.

Jesus said to not waste words like the pagans, and pray the Lord prayer. If you understood the Lord prayer you wouldn' t throwing it away as you are doing.

Instead you are teaching how to waste words and how to NOT pray the Lord prayer.

But what Jesus said in Matthew 6, will NOT pass away.

Heaven and earth will pass away, as well as all human ideas, But His words will NOT pass away.

BEWARE of preterism and everything even slightly similar! 

Now below this post I will leave quick answer to your points that try to destroy the Lord prayer, the prayer taught by God incarnated, in favour of human prayers against which God incarnated warned us:

You can call God a liar if you want to, But I won't. Because God said He won't tempt anyone. But go ahead and call God a liar, But remember, you'll have to stand before God one day and give an account of why you call Him a liar,

I suppose you are one of those religious people who repeat the, "Our Father" parrot fashion. Jesus never meant it to be repeated in robotic parrot fashion, It was just an Old Testament  outline of how to pray.

And whatever makes you thing we can slow down the return of Jesus by  teaching the Bible?? Or teaching error, for those like you who do.

6 minutes ago, Alan Hales said:

You can call God a liar if you want to, But I won't. Because God said He won't tempt anyone. But go ahead and call God a liar, But remember, you'll have to stand before God one day and give an account of why you call Him a liar,

I suppose you are one of those religious people who repeat the, "Our Father" parrot fashion. Jesus never meant it to be repeated in robotic parrot fashion, It was just an Old Testament  outline of how to pray.

And whatever makes you thing we can slow down the return of Jesus by  teaching the Bible?? Or teaching error, for those like you who do.

I am not calling God a liar by just reminding the prayer He taught

Rather,differently from you, instead of trying to destroy what Jesus said I try to understand it.

No I am not one of those parrot people, I pray the Lord prayer by understanding it, you neither understand NOR pray it But you teach other people that the prayer that God incarnated taught is obsolete. Go ahead with this teaching, while you teach to keep on babbling and be listened because of many words like the pagans (Matthew 6)

Teaching errors like you slow down the return of Jesus because stop people from desiring it.

Yes, teaching errors has a lot of bad consequences

PS you said one thing right, that the correct translation is "do NOT abandon US into temptation", instead of lead US. I will update my post on that, thank you. The rest of what you said is the dangerous teachings of preterism.

Edited by listener24

2 hours ago, listener24 said:

No, the Kingdom has not come. It may have come into your imagination when you try to forget that millions of people still suffer starvation, war, persecution, slaughters, natural disaster etc. etc. while you are enjoying a beer.

But regardless the lies, unless the King will not come back we can't say that the Kingdom has come. The King has been among us for a while, but then He has been taken away:

(Luke 17:22-24)

Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place." (John 18:36)

But he continued, "You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. (John 8:23)

So when they had come together, they asked him, “Lord, will you at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?” He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth Acts 1:6-8

Then read the whole Matthew 24.

You are confusing the coming of the Kingdom with the fact that we have received the Spirit to testify Jesus until His Return. This mistake have many names, one of it is "preterism", and its most dangerous effect is to slow down Jesus Return by making us stop desiring it and and stop praying for it.

The most correct translation is "do not abandon us into temptation". Anyway, until God will separate completely satan from us, and throwing him into the lake of fire, we are still subject to temptations, so we are asking God to separate us from the evil one once and for all. This leads to the next point:

No, we are still subject to the devil attacks. But one day Jesus will deliver us from the devil forever, and we are asking for the coming of that Glorious Day:

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. [...]

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. (Matthew 25)

This is gonna be the final deliverance from the evil one, regardless of what already happened in your imagination, because right now the evil one is still causing devastating damages in terms of lost souls, suffering, famine, disasters. etc. etc.

Instead of fighting this holy hope by spreading ideas that everything already happened and by attacking the Lord's prayer, the prayer of God incarnated, you could join the prayer to hasten it (2 Peter 3:12, Luke 18:1-8)

He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming soon." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus. (Revelation 22 17, 20)

Thy Kingdom come. Maranatha.

I have shown you scriptures that prove the Kingdom of God has already come, that Jesus meant in the Our Father, You are calling Jesus a liar AGAIN. Because He said some of those will be alive when the Kingdom comes, But they are ALL dead now, So Jesus wasn't talking about the coming Kingdom that's in our future.

Of cause none of the disciples in Lk 17: 22. would be alive when Jesus comes back again, That's why they won't be here to see it, Which proves that the Kingdom in the Our Father, Isn't the coming Kingdom. The Bible mentions the Spiritual Kingdom, Which Matt 6: 10 mentions, which came on the day of Pentecost. And the second coming of Jesus to set His heavenly Kingdom. And you are only mentioning the latter. Rom 14: 17 says the Kingdom mentioned in Matt 6: 10, Is already here. I can only teach you what the Bible says, I can't make you believe it.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  59
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  06/24/1994

On 8/31/2018 at 9:47 PM, hayleyv048 said:

I have no idea how to pray or what it entails.

Hayley 

Matthew 6:6 King James Version (KJV)

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Matthew 6:7 King James Version (KJV)

But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Matthew 21:22 King James Version (KJV)

22 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

1 Timothy 2:5 King James Version (KJV)

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

James Chapter 4

2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.

3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume [it] upon your lusts.

Edited by Soul Reaper
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.87
  • Days Won:  5

19 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

FWIW, Here's the way I'd explain what being a Christian is about using everyday words off the top of my head.

Being a Christian is about God making a fundamental and real change in our very nature that transforms us;  it's not about having a series of rules to follow nor a list of things to agree with;  nor is it trying hard to make ourselves into "good" (whatever that means) people.  It is about God changing us into a person for whom such things as love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, faith, goodness, and self-control simply flow out naturally from us as a deep fundamental part of our character.  It is not about embarking on a self-improvement course to change things we don't like about ourselves and sincerely trying.  It is about being actually transformed from the inside out through God's power.  It is not something we initiate and do;   God reaches out to us and starts to draw us toward Himself to start doing this.

The starting point to understand Christianity is that God created each of us as unique individuals.  We are each intended to be works of art, treasures, uniquely special in our own way that each reflect the glory, majesty, beauty, and power of our Creator.  However, something happened to thwart that.  We look around the world and see pain, violence, unthinkable things.  We look around and simply know deep within ourselves that such things shouldn't be.  We often ask why God would allow such things and why God doesn't do something about it.  The thing is, God is going to do something about it.  God is going to eliminate all the crud, pain, violence, suffering, abuse, and everything else evil by tossing it onto the biggest bonfire the universe has seen to eliminate it all once and for all.   However, the issue is this.  Each of us is contaminated with it as well.  We each individually carry within us the seeds and contamination to start it all again.  The reality is that each of us (despite sincere intentions) have knowingly and unknowingly at times contributed to the current state of the world.  When God finally clears the world of all that is wrong, each of us needs to be cleared out with the rest of the garbage to avoid contaminating a new perfect world with it.  It is not a matter of trying to be less bad.  We each have hidden darkness, addictions or compulsive things we cannot control in spite of our best efforts, and at times we simply don't act in complete accordance with how we know we should.  In spite of our best efforts, there are things within us that are out of our control.  So to summarize, we are in this contradictory position of both being a beautiful individual made in God's image meant to reflect God's perfection, beauty, power, and majesty; and at the same time, we are contaminated and corrupted by all that is wrong in the world and are doomed to share it's fate when God finally has enough of the violence, pain, suffering, and death in the world.

The Good News (which is what the word Gospel means) is that God wants to redeem each of us as those unique works of art and treasures that He intends us to be.     We are each a unique individual made in God's image that is now trapped in a corrupted and contaminated nature.  God's solution (to avoid having to chuck us out on the bonfire with the rest of the garbage from the world) is to recreate that unique person with a new nature.  The Bible describes us as "new creations" in Christ.   God does two things for us.  He overlooks our contribution to evil in the world and that we are contaminated with it ourselves.  He forgives it all and gives us a clean slate with Him.  The second thing is that He gives us a new spiritual nature.  He takes the parts of our personality and our uniqueness that He intended for us and creates it again with a new nature whose very life flows from God Himself.  The very life and being of this new nature are empowered by God.  It is *not* that we become mini-gods or anything like that.  It is that the source of life and existence of this new nature continually flows from God and will continue to flow into it forever.  It is through Jesus (God coming to earth to become a finite human being) that this was done.  In Jesus' death and rising from the dead, God created something new.  He created a new nature that was perfect.  God wants to impart that new nature to us.  Jesus was more than just a good man.  He was God Himself taking on humanity's limitations and becoming fully human to create a new nature that God uses to make us new creations in Christ.

Two things result from this new creation and new nature we have.  The first is that we can for the first time start to walk with God Himself, our Creator, the One who made us to walk with Him, who created a vast world around us to explore and enjoy.  We can feel His presence inside of us, and we can start to see the world around us once again through innocent eyes of wonder.   We start to react with natural heartfelt emotions of awe, wonder, and love.  We start to know God more and more on a personal level than an impersonal formal level.   The second is that we can start to reflect His life, love, glory, and majesty as the unique individual He made us to be.  Those things in our contaminated corrupt nature that masked and damaged the real person God made us to be are slowly shed and overcome by the new nature.     We start to share life in a deeper and more meaningful way with others in whom God has placed this new nature.

So anyway, that's my take on being a Christian.  I've been a Christian for quite awhile now.  An observation I've made about Christians is that we all pretty much agree on the actual things God has done;  it's that we disagree about explaining how or why He did it.  For my first few decades as a Christian, it was quite important to me to have the explanation down correctly, and sadly, I spent too much time and effort arguing and debating the explanation rather than just enjoying, relishing, and growing in the new nature God gave me.  We put special words onto many of the things I mentioned above.  Feeling awe and wonder and other emotions when reacting God and what He has done is basically what "worship" is about.  Sharing life with others with a new nature is "fellowship".   Seeing the new nature overcome and reduce the effect of the old nature is "sanctification".  Rather than use those words, I tried to use everyday language.

When God reaches out to us, we start to become aware of His drawing us.  We start to have questions.  We start to wonder what life is about.  We start to wonder how we can approach or have anything to do with God or somehow try to reach out in a spiritual world beyond our physical one.  At some point, God brings enough light into our life that we can start to see our standing before Him.   We realize that we have something deep and fundamentally wrong that we cannot fix ourselves despite our best and most sincere efforts and desire to be as good a person as possible.  We realize we've hurt other people; we've fallen way short of being who God intended us to be; and most fundamentally, we realize that we cannot completely stop ourselves from doing this.  We realize that any intentions we've had of being a good person cannot make up for the fact we fall short of it.  At some point, we become aware that we're in danger of being junked with the rest of the garbage in the world.   We realize we need God to give us a clean slate to start over as well as the capability of being the person He made us to be.   When we reached this point (or perhaps I should say when God shined enough light into our lives to get us to this point),  we Christians responded to God.  We freely and honestly and shamefully admit we've fallen short of what God wanted from us; we've hurt others; we're simply incapable on our own of living as the person God created us to be; and then we invite God into our lives to change us into the person He meant us to be.  For many Christians I know (and myself), it was a simple prayer (using more religious terms), something like, "God please forgive me for my sins and being a sinner;  Please come into my heart."  It's not the actual words, but the attitude and that it is in response to God's drawing us.   I'd said words like that many times in liturgies or congregational readings in church and nothing really happened (at least that I was aware of).  But one night in a small church at a Lent service, I felt drawn by God toward Him, prayed a few simple words like that, and I suddenly felt changed and felt God's presence.  That was over 40 years ago now.

In the 40 some years since, it has  been a spiritual journey of walking with God.  I started off thinking it was all about how hard I had to work at being a "good Christian", but then slowly I realized that it wasn't about trying, it was about becoming.  The bible calls love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, and similar things fruit that grows in our lives.  I realized being patient wasn't about learning anger management techniques of counting to 10 or thinking of pleasant things or whatever, it was about being changed so I simply didn't get angry very often.   Peace isn't about learning mental and emotional techniques for calming down or thinking about a happy place, it is about being changed so that I am simply peaceful most of the time.  I found that prayer, bible reading and study, meditation, just relaxing being alone with God, being with other Christians, were things that helped me spiritually grow and indeed just seemed to be things that flowed naturally out of my new nature.  I also started to learn more and more about who God created me to be.  I find God's presence is a constant part of my life.  I've found that my trust and confidence (i.e. "faith") has simply grown over months, years, and decades as I've seen Him do tangible things in my life and others' lives.  I've seen a new nature in Christ just slowly emerge over time and the old contaminated corrupted nature start to wither away.  Today, I am much more the person God intended me to be that I ever was many years ago, and am enjoying life walking with Him.

Anyway, that's my take on Christianity trying to not to use the standard jargon Christians usually use.  I'm happy to answer any questions about stuff that's not clear.  One of the challenges of explaining things in your own words instead of the standard terms is that you can sometimes be ambiguous or not clear.  :) 

This is not the first masterpiece Gandalf has written.....thank you , sir.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

4 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

This is not the first masterpiece Gandalf has written.....thank you , sir.

Your kinds words are much appreciated.   It is truly my privilege to share and I mean that from the depths of my heart.  These posts are often of much benefit to me.   The thought, meditation, and effort that go in are helping me grow.

• Praise God! 1

23 hours ago, Alan Hales said:

I have shown you scriptures that prove the Kingdom of God has already come, that Jesus meant in the Our Father, You are calling Jesus a liar AGAIN. Because He said some of those will be alive when the Kingdom comes, But they are ALL dead now, So Jesus wasn't talking about the coming Kingdom that's in our future.

Of cause none of the disciples in Lk 17: 22. would be alive when Jesus comes back again, That's why they won't be here to see it, Which proves that the Kingdom in the Our Father, Isn't the coming Kingdom. The Bible mentions the Spiritual Kingdom, Which Matt 6: 10 mentions, which came on the day of Pentecost. And the second coming of Jesus to set His heavenly Kingdom. And you are only mentioning the latter. Rom 14: 17 says the Kingdom mentioned in Matt 6: 10, Is already here. I can only teach you what the Bible says, I can't make you believe it.

Brother, the Lord prayer talks exactly about that heavenly Kingdom that Jesus will set at His Return, when He will deliver us from the evil one, by separating the goats from the sheep, that is why is not "obsolete". In fact He says "our Father in HEAVEN..THY Kingdom Come"

This is the same cry expressed in Revelation (notoriously a book about end times), about the true believers, especially in the last days:

He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming soon." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.

Jesus taught the Lord prayer, He didn't say "pray this prayer only from year 30 A.D. to year 33 A.D. then stop praying this because of the Pentecost", this is the invention of someone who told you this.

Edited by listener24