Sinless? Is it possible?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  0

The new nature is incabable of sin(1John 3:9)

I pulled this quote from another thread regarding a different issue. I sure am interested in responses to it. No denying it - that is what the Scripture says.

However - I sinned today. I did not live 100% in Holiness and santification. Throughout the course of my day, I put my eyes on myself and did not glorify God the whole day. Either by ommission, or commission, I sinned. Perhaps it was a comment that I said to my friend this morning about another person. Perhaps it was the anger and harsh words to my child. Perhaps it was when the 14th bug flew into the door I was painting and my comment was less than pure. Or it could have been the thoughts about my husband's undesirable personality trait when he irked me. Not to mention the omission ones. But I did not live a sinless day.

But.........I'm saved.

How do we reconcile this verse with human nature and real life?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

I pulled this quote from another thread regarding a different issue. I sure am interested in responses to it. No denying it - that is what the Scripture says.

However - I sinned today. I did not live 100% in Holiness and santification. Throughout the course of my day, I put my eyes on myself and did not glorify God the whole day. Either by ommission, or commission, I sinned. Perhaps it was a comment that I said to my friend this morning about another person. Perhaps it was the anger and harsh words to my child. Perhaps it was when the 14th bug flew into the door I was painting and my comment was less than pure. Or it could have been the thoughts about my husband's undesirable personality trait when he irked me. Not to mention the omission ones. But I did not live a sinless day.

But.........I'm saved.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are other Scripture verses that "seem" to contradict this one. In fact, in I John 1:10 " If we say we have not sinned we make him a liar". And, of course, in Romans, "all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God".

I remember discussing sin with a priest a while back. He explained it this way....each time we sin, we say "yes" to Satan. It's like a mini-possession; we let Satan control us instead of Christ. So when I am totally grounded in Christ and living in Him and He in me, I do not sin. When I allow myself to turn from Christ and give in to temptation, I sin.

It's like what Paul says in Romans 7 about the contest between our 2 natures: "I am carnal, sold under sin....so then it is no longer I that do it, but sin which dwells within me......So then, I, of myself, serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin".

• Topic Count:  123
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

Good points, Fiosh.

but sin which dwells within me......

Exactly. So, how do we reconcile that with 1John 3:9??

("No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God")

:emot-fail:

Good points, Fiosh.

but sin which dwells within me......

Exactly. So, how do we reconcile that with 1John 3:9??

("No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God")

:emot-fail:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I read these verses, my spirit which has accepted Jesus, rejects sin. My "flesh"--my sinful nature---sometimes wins over my spirit, and I sin.

Not saying I understand completely. It is confusing.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  164
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

http://www.drurywriting.com/keith/security.htm

Keith does a great job of dealing with this issue in my opinion.

I jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

What if we do not confess our sin?

I jn 1:7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

What if we do not walk in the light?

John 3- in context:

4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. 5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him. 7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God. 10 In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother.

Pretty plain talk here.

• Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Dear WIP,

Have you seen this thread yet? It might interest you in regard to this discussion:

The Spirit of AntiChrist, The test question of 1 John 4

Here's an excerpt regarding your question:

Dear Fisher,

I appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you.  I want to go ahead and beat many to the punch here, as I KNOW the very first disagreement will come in context of people questioning the idea of being "completely" sin-free?

I know that you and I see much the same in terms of the Power of Jesus Christ to set us free from sin.  I see distinctions though between the bondage of sinful lifestyles, i.e., drunkenness, fornication, lust, homosexuality, drug dependancy, any lifestyle that we are dependant upon because we feel we are addicted, etc.  and then the daily walk of a Christian that might include frustrations, doubtings, inner thoughts of anger, etc.  However, I do not consider myself sin-free, in terms of the things above. 

I was reminded of this passage as I posted the above.

John 13:10 Jesus said to him, "He who is bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you."

This seems to me, to be the repentance and washing from the daily walk as a Christian, not the need for a full-blown bathing.

Does this make sense?

In His Love,

Suzanne

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

John 13:10 Jesus said to him, "He who is bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you."

This seems to me, to be the repentance and washing from the daily walk as a Christian, not the need for a full-blown bathing.

Very interesting passage. Jesus told his disiples that they did not need to be completely washed. Just their feet. I also take this as a daily walk. We do get dirty and do need some areas in our life washed. Could it be that the full blown bathing is salvation? I believe "but not all of you" was refering to Judus. He was not full blown washed. He was not saved. As a matter of fact. I believe Jesus called him a devil.

Then Jesus replied, "Have I not chosen you, the Twelve? Yet one of you is a devil!" 71(He meant Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, who, though one of the Twelve, was later to betray him.) John 6

God Bless

Dan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes Dan, I agree with you, in terms of salvation and the washing. It is also reflective in these passages:

Eph. 5:26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word,

Tit 3:5 not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit,

If you look at the entire context of the Ephesians passage, it will take us directly back to what Fisher of Men is posting on:

27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish.

and the Titus verse speaks of the working Power of God's grace in us thru Christ Jesus.

6 whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

In His Love,

Suzanne

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In the link above, Fisher answers my question in great detail. I hope you will take a look. I wanted to post it here, but it seemed like the whole thread, so I didn't.

If you're still up to it, here's one more link:

Jesus Has Come in the Flesh

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,138
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  01/16/1969

But.........I'm saved.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are other Scripture verses that "seem" to contradict this one. In fact, in I John 1:10 " If we say we have not sinned we make him a liar". And, of course, in Romans, "all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God".

I remember discussing sin with a priest a while back. He explained it this way....each time we sin, we say "yes" to Satan. It's like a mini-possession; we let Satan control us instead of Christ. So when I am totally grounded in Christ and living in Him and He in me, I do not sin. When I allow myself to turn from Christ and give in to temptation, I sin.

It's like what Paul says in Romans 7 about the contest between our 2 natures: "I am carnal, sold under sin....so then it is no longer I that do it, but sin which dwells within me......So then, I, of myself, serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are no contradictions in the WORD of GOD :whistling:

• Topic Count:  115
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Reckon yourselves indeed dead to sin, but alive unto righteousness.

He that is dead is FREED from sin.

Follow the Holy Spirit's instructions: "Reckon yourselves indeed dead to sin..." It may not seem to be a reality at first, but IT GROWS ON YOU!

But.........I'm saved.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are no contradictions in the WORD of GOD :laugh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I ABSOULTELY AGREE, Bloodbought.

:24:

That's why I specifically put "seem" in italics. If you read my post, you'll see that I was making the point that while they "seem " to be contradictory, they are not.

Thanks for allowing me to clarify that.

:whistling:

Peace,

Fiosh

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  164
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Reckon yourselves indeed dead to sin, but alive unto righteousness.

He that is dead is FREED from sin.

Follow the Holy Spirit's instructions: "Reckon yourselves indeed dead to sin..." It may not seem to be a reality at first, but IT GROWS ON YOU!

Well put.

One thing that we dare not do is base our beliefs on what we have experienced rather than God's Word. It is one sure way of justifying ourselves and cutting off the spiritual development and the opportunity to living a life that pleases God.