• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

The smallest Book in the New Testament, Jude, speaks:

Eternal Death:
Jude 1:7  Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Eternal Life:
Jude 1:21  Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

Let us be leading the lost away from their ultimate destination without Christ, the eternal Lake of Fire and Brimstone, by sharing the truth of repentance towards Jesus Christ who alone and forgive their sins and set them free!

Jude 1:22-23  And of some have compassion, making a difference:  (23)  And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

• Group:  Diamond Member

Noah Webster's 1828 Dictionary, emphasis mine:

Eternal
1. Without beginning or end of existence.
The eternal God is thy refuge. Deu 33.

2. Without beginning of existence.
To know whether there is any real being, whose duration has been eternal.

3. Without end of existence or duration; everlasting; endless; immortal.
That they may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. 2 Tim 2.
What shall I do, that I may have eternal life? Mat 19.
Suffering the vengeance of eternal fire. Jude 7.

4. Perpetual; ceaseless; continued without intermission.
And fires eternal in thy temple shine.

5. Unchangeable; existing at all times without change; as eternal truth.

ETER'NAL, n. An appellation of God.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:46 PM, B3L13v3R said:

The smallest Book in the New Testament, Jude, speaks:

Eternal Death:
Jude 1:7  Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Interesting.  You literally changed the words of the verse without explaining why.  So eternal fire becomes eternal death. 

We do have the parallel verse in 2 Peter which gives us a touch more idea of what the eternal fire did to Sodom and Gomorrah.  Burning to ash seems to be the point of this judgement.

2 Peter 2:6   "if by turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to ashes he condemned them to extinction, making them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly;" 

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:50 PM, B3L13v3R said:

Noah Webster's 1828 Dictionary, emphasis mine:

Eternal
1. Without beginning or end of existence.
The eternal God is thy refuge. Deu 33.

2. Without beginning of existence.
To know whether there is any real being, whose duration has been eternal.

3. Without end of existence or duration; everlasting; endless; immortal.
That they may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. 2 Tim 2.
What shall I do, that I may have eternal life? Mat 19.
Suffering the vengeance of eternal fire. Jude 7.

4. Perpetual; ceaseless; continued without intermission.
And fires eternal in thy temple shine.

5. Unchangeable; existing at all times without change; as eternal truth.

ETER'NAL, n. An appellation of God.

Most conditionalists I know do not deny the basic meaning of eternal so the eternal punishment of the sinner, seen as their death, lasts forever just as the eternal life of the believer will.

On 2/27/2019 at 5:24 PM, DarrenJClark said:

Interesting.  You literally changed the words of the verse without explaining why.  So eternal fire becomes eternal death.

The "Eternal Death" I mentioned there, was a figure of speech, based not only on the "suffering the vengeance of eternal fire" as mentioned in Jude 1:7.

Other supporting Scriptures on the mention of the "Eternal Death" thinking, would be the "Second Death," which is also ETERNAL suffering!

-Revelation 2:11  He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.
-Revelation 20:6  Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

-Revelation 21:8  But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

We know this second eternal death to be eternal in all aspects based on other supporting verses in the Bible.
These supporting verses could not be any clearer on the matter, "everlasting fire," "everlasting punishment," everlasting destruction,"the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever" and "they have no rest day nor night."
Those Truths are presented here:

-Matthew 25:41-46  Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:  (42)  For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:  (43)  I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.  (44)  Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?  (45)  Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me(46)  And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
-2 Thessalonians 1:8-9  In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:  (9)  Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

The same fate of those who worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark on their forehead, or in their hand, awaits those without Christ in the next life, in the torment of the Lake of Fire for ever and ever:

Revelation 14:10-11  The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:  (11)  And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

22 hours ago, B3L13v3R said:

The "Eternal Death" I mentioned there, was a figure of speech, based not only on the "suffering the vengeance of eternal fire" as mentioned in Jude 1:7.

Other supporting Scriptures on the mention of the "Eternal Death" thinking, would be the "Second Death," which is also ETERNAL suffering!

-Revelation 2:11  He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.
-Revelation 20:6  Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

-Revelation 21:8  But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

We know this second eternal death to be eternal in all aspects based on other supporting verses in the Bible.
These supporting verses could not be any clearer on the matter, "everlasting fire," "everlasting punishment," everlasting destruction,"the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever" and "they have no rest day nor night."
Those Truths are presented here:

-Matthew 25:41-46  Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:  (42)  For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:  (43)  I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.  (44)  Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?  (45)  Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me(46)  And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
-2 Thessalonians 1:8-9  In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:  (9)  Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

The same fate of those who worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark on their forehead, or in their hand, awaits those without Christ in the next life, in the torment of the Lake of Fire for ever and ever:

Revelation 14:10-11  The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:  (11)  And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

It is your choice how you interpret those verses.  My initial post was more of an invite for you to share your belief on hell and you have done that.

I do not read the verses you cite the same way, though, and my response here is more of an explanation of why I read them as I do than any attempt to start an argument.  

"The "Eternal Death" I mentioned there, was a figure of speech, based not only on the "suffering the vengeance of eternal fire" as mentioned in Jude 1:7."

I notice that you omit commenting on 2 Peter 2:6 which runs in the opposite direction to your interpretation.  

In the first place, I am not convinced that Jude is teaching that those being punished (I am using the ESV instead of a translation like the KJV which has "vengeance" but the point will be the same either way) will  survive the eternal fire.  The adjective eternal (aiwnios) is applied to the fire not the subject that are thrown into that fire.   

Jude 1:7   7 just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire. 

To be sure they will suffer, but that verse say nothing about that suffering lasting into eternity.  I think you have simply assumed that because the fire is eternal then the suffering must also be eternal.  This I where you should let 2 Peter 2:6 guide you on the meaning of that kind of imagery.

2 Peter 2:6   "if by turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to ashes he condemned them to extinction, making them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly;" 

Peter is clear that the eternal fire ends the ungodly.

"-Revelation 2:11  He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.
-Revelation 21:8  But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death."

This is a case where you seem to assume a meaning of the second death, then quoting verses to prove what the second death is.  That is called question begging or circular reasoning and why I try to avoid this kind of method of proof text quotation.  There is a lot more discussion to be had on Rev.  I will get to that.

"We know this second eternal death to be eternal in all aspects based on other supporting verses in the Bible.
These supporting verses could not be any clearer on the matter, "everlasting fire," "everlasting punishment," everlasting destruction,"the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever" and "they have no rest day nor night.""

The problem here is that you are again assuming that the word eternal applies to the wicked even though the adjective is not used that way.  Eternal fire (Matthew 18:8-9; Jude 7) is just a description of the fire not the wicked thrown into it.  I have already shown why I think Jude 7 does not imply the wicked are eternal.  Matthew 18:8-9 revolves around a contrast between losing a part of the body and losing the whole body.  This is has support in the fact that Matthew has already told his readers that the judgement fire will kill or destroy the wicked (c.f. Matt 3:12; 10:28; 13:40-42, I can explain my exegesis of these verses if you wish).  This relates to Matthew 25:46 as the same verses tell us that the eternal punishment is capital punishment.  Without the death penalty being reversed the is no reason to think that this punishment should not be described as eternal.  Eternal punishment does not necessarily imply an ongoing act of punishing any more than eternal judgement (Heb 6:2) implies an everlasting act of judgement or eternal sin (Mark 3:29) implies a never-ending act of sinning.  I know plenty of scholars point to the parallelism in Matthew 25:46 to say eternal must mean the same with eternal life as it does with eternal punishment and I agree with them.  My disagreement with them is they assume the eternal punishment implies eternal life.  This is an odd reading of the parallelism since both eternal life and eternal punishment would mean eternal life.  If we let Matthew tell us what he means (c.f. Matt 3:12; 10:28; 13:40-42), and that he did intend the punishment to end the wicked, then we have a perfect intelligible reading of Matthew 25:46 as teaching the opposite fates for the sheep and the goats.  The sheep receive eternal life but the goats irreversible capital punishment that Matthew labels as eternal punishment.  I am open to you asking me explain my exegesis of these verses further.

"The same fate of those who worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark on their forehead, or in their hand, awaits those without Christ in the next life, in the torment of the Lake of Fire for ever and ever:

Revelation 14:10-11  The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:  (11)  And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name."

Ok, there is a conflation of two texts here.   Rev 20:10 only speaks of three characters and you have to assume that in the highly symbolic work they just refer to individual entities.  Plenty of scholars and lay people think the beast and the false prophet represent corporate institutions without implying individual people are in view.  I am saying you have to show how and why individuals are in view before making you case rather than alluding to that verse as if that just proves your case.  Then even if Rev 20:10 does refer to two human characters you still have to infer their fate is the same as the three in 20:10.  At best all you can say is directly taught by this verse is that the three are tormented forever but I can appeal to Matthew 13:40-42 where all the wicked are burned up completely.  

I know you are thinking that Revelation 14:11 proves your point but you really need to pay attention to how John used the OT in his work in general, and how he does so in particular in this verse.  I will quote the British scholar Ian Paul, who completed his PhD in the nature of the symbolism in Rev, and has recently published the newest edition of he Tyndale commentary on Rev.

"Though the phrase smoke of their torment rises for ever and ever (AT) has been interpreted as indicating a continual experience of torment (which raises some particular theological problems), this is difficult to sustain in the light of the parallel at 19:3, where in an identical phrase the ‘smoke from [the city Babylon] rises for ever and ever’ (AT). It is impossible to imagine the city being perpetually destroyed; the image must signify the eternal effect of its destruction, rather than an eternal process of destruction (cf. the destruction of Edom in Isa. 34:10)."

Paul, Ian. Revelation: An Introduction And Commentary (Tyndale New Testament Commentary) . IVP. Kindle Edition. 

So John used the image of never-ending rising smoke from Isaiah 34:10, where it symbolizes the complete destruction of Edom, and applies it to Babylon with the same intent of communicating complete destruction not an ongoing act of destruction.  So, by his own usage of the imagery John does not intend it to communicate a never-ending act.  He uses the never-ending rising smoke to indicate completed and permanent destruction.  I realise you will be thinking that the mention of no rest day or night proves other wise but you should note the participles used there are in the present tense making the no rest relate to the time they are worshipping the Beast and its image.  

So, if you investigate how John uses the OT and how he uses the tenses in that verse then you should see that you cannot just assume that he was teaching the wicked would be tormented in hell forever.  That verse does no such thing.

I am interested in your thoughts as I enjoy discussing these verses.  I often learn from these exchanges.

3 hours ago, DarrenJClark said:

I notice that you omit commenting on 2 Peter 2:6 which runs in the opposite direction to your interpretation.

This verse is a reference of what took place in the natural, that refers towards the example of the eternal fire, as per previous verses sited. For ever and ever come to mind:

2 Peter 2:6  And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;

Beyond commenting on the above, I do not feel compelled to debate you on your exegesis, that I see as flawed on every side of the eternal  issue on The Lake of Fire. The Word of God is clear on the matter.

Folks, I have hope that those who stand on annihilationism, or conditionalism/annihilationism may change their thinking. If by some chance they do not, that you yourselves who know the Truth of this matter will stand fast, and not fall into the net of this wrongful thinking of removing, changing, choosing, smorgasbord handling of God's Word.
A lot of mistaken, or outright false teaching these days pretends to allow for our thinking, with the agenda of replacing the Truth with something new. In this case, "conditionalist/annihilationism."

One thing I know for certain, the annihilationists thinking in part cheapens and discounts the Gospel of Christ, who with His Words told us of "into the fire that never shall be quenched" and "Where their worm dieth not." I've noted them discounting that as well in their writings.
A Hell fire so awful that Jesus Christ told us it would be better to cut off a hand, foot, or pluck out an eye in this life and get into heaven, rather than wind up in Hell with two good hands, feet, and eyes.

Mark 9:43-47  And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:  (44)  Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.  (45)  And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:  (46)  Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.  (47)  And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:

As a side note, on a number of occasions when evangelizing for Christ, I've met lost people that also believe this lie of annihilationism, that was erroneously taught to them by someone, or some "leader." And they will go towards great wranglings of the Bible to "prove" their cause, even though their not Saved!
Some of the lost enjoy this false teaching, as they fasten onto it as an escape clause, "just in case" there is a Lake of Fire, with their
"faith" in annihilationism!
Therefore, it will not be all that bad if what I am telling them about the Gospel is correct and they "deny it."

Matthew 10:32-34  Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.  (33)  But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.  (34)  Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

I'll insure them the good news of the Gospel of Jesus Christ that can forgive them of their sins is absolutely correct, and a Christ-less eternity in the Lake of Fire for those who ignore His precious Gift of Salvation is also correct.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  20

https://www.biblegateway.com/devotionals/tough-questions-with-rc-sproul/2017/05/02

"Does the Spirit ever lead in a way that's contrary to biblically revealed ethics?

"No, of course not. The Holy Spirit couldn't possibly lead somebody to disobey the Holy Spirit's teaching. That would be God acting against himself. I would think it would be elementary and manifestly obvious to every Christian that God the Holy Spirit will not give you as an individual a leading to act in defiance of the written Word of God.

"I speak so strongly about this precisely because I run into people all the time who tell me that God has given them an inclination or a private leading that excuses them from the moral obligations God has set forth. I've had people tell me that they prayed about committing adultery and that God the Holy Spirit gave them peace about it. How much lower can you go? That's not blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, but that certainly grieves the Holy Spirit. It also comes perilously close to blasphemy against the Holy Spirit to not only refuse to repent of sin but to attribute the motivation and the license for it to God himself.

is the propensity we have, to call good evil and evil good."

I continue to notice that any heretical or false teaching if allowed to stand will be built upon by another, not only annihilationism.
There are many other false teachings in our generation doing just that.
Emergent, Ecumenical, and Eucharistic thinking that is wrongful, and being built upon heavily upon in the present.

Jesus Christ alone, removes us from the everlasting punishment and wrath to come. And I'm eternally grateful.

Some hard to understand things will damn the eternal soul, if one follows those who wrest Scriptures to their own destruction:

2 Peter 3:16-18  As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.  (17)  Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.  (18)  But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

Others will thoroughly confuse the Body of Christ, even making a shipwreck of their faith at times:

1 Timothy 1:18-20  This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare;  (19)  Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:  (20)  Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.

I mentioned some of the unsaved appreciate the fallacy of this annihilationism teaching, as it allows them to continue in their sins without much worry when NOTHING could be further from the Truth...

These verses could not be clearer, no matter how some may wrangle them. Without Jesus Christ, there will be eternal punishment. All the more reason for us to share the Gospel! :)

Matthew 25:41  Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
Matthew 25:46  And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

As an addendum, over the years I've found these cultists with "another jesus" believe this same mistake of annihilationism, as I have spoken to many of them over time;

-Jehovah's Witnesses, (who also believe Jesus Christ was formally the Arch Angel Michael)
-Seventh-day Adventists, (Similar to JW's, they also believe Jesus Christ was the created Arch Angel Michael when He is mentioned in the Bible, only they feel he was not created, as Michael
is a title applied to the Son of God in the Word. Not so!)
-Armstrongism, (Herbert. W. Armstrong along with his various splinter groups. Armstrong would teach that
"Jesus did not become the Son of God until about 4 b.c., when born in human flesh of the virgin Mary.")
-
Universalism (teaches all people will be saved, and there is no eternal Hell.)
-Christadelphians (Who believe Jesus had a sinful nature, and that His atonement was not substitutional for our sins.)

Annihilationism:

They believe the Saved, as being the only ones who go on to live for eternity... They do not believe God's Words on the everlasting destruction for the lost in the Lake of Fire. But instead a literal and final death and destruction and they are no more.
They believe at some point, "POOF" ...and the lost are eternally gone.:blow-up:

Not so.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

On 2/14/2019 at 2:38 PM, PepperS said:

The article you posted uses verses for Hell/death/Hades, and The Lake of Fire as if they are the same thing, They are not.

While death/Hell and Hades are the same thing, The Lake of Fire is something different. Hell is thrown into the Lake of Fire after those who resided  in Hell are judged. I posted he scripture for this earlier in this thread.

you left out this verse:

And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

the very next one after the one you did mention.