• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

There are a couple of hundred English translations of the Christian Scriptures (even more of the New Testament).

Until recently the NIV had outsold all others for the past 20 years, with the KJV still being the most widely circulated and used.

Beginning about 10 years ago, the caretakers of the NIV began to take some steps that were unpopular among many conservative Christians (primary users of the NIV) which has led to publication of the Today's New International Version. The past year or so, the NIV has faced some formidable challenges to its top spot. Two newcomers, the Holman Christian Standard (recently adopted as the official translation of the Southern Baptist Convention) and the English Standard Version (being favored by many Reformed and Presbyterian groups) have become very popular among conservative Christians.

For several months this year (2005), the New King James Version has taken over the top spot from the NIV in sales, knocking it from 1st for the first time in 20 years.

For what it's worth, I prefer English translations which somewhat favor the transmitter languages (Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek) rather than the receptor language (English), which usually makes them a bit choppier and classifies them as more literal in their equivalence. In order of preference (not necessarily their literal sequence) I like the English Standard Version, New American Standard Bible (1995 update), New King James Version, New Revised Standard Version, King James Version, and Geneva Bible.

In counter balance to Pax (love the name BTW), I think the New American Bible (NAB) (a Roman Catholic translation often confused with the NASB), which is a quite literal and excellent Catholic Bible, may have been what was intended inĀ  the post from Pax.

There is also considerable disagreement within and without Catholic and Protestant groups as to whether the books of Tobit, etc. (often termed 'Apocrypha' or 'Deuterocanonical' were "removed from the original Bible" or indeed ever a part of the Bible canon of Scripture books. The whole boby of the Roman Catholic Church did not completely endorse them as Scripture until after the Protestant Reformation had begun. The stance of the Coptic and Eastern Orthodox Church is also worthy of consideration..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can I ask why the sequence you used??? Why do you consider the ESV to be first? I would really like to know, because I was planning on getting a new Bible and wondering which one.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  108
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Aaaargh. I just did some more verse comparisons between the KJV, NKJV, and NASB on the web. So I edited the NASB out of my above post. I think for now I will just stick with NKJV and KJV.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  11/17/1971

So the KJV is definitely the one to go with then.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  424
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

:thumbsup: Edited by hopper

:thumbsup: Edited by hopper

:emot-highfive: Edited by hopper

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  116
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  678
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Another option (if you don't mind BIG Bibles) is one of the many parallel Bibles available today, where anywhere from 2 to 8 translations are listed side by side for comparison.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Eight translations?? :blink: I can only imagine the size of that brick! As if my four translation parallel Bible wasn't big enough...

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  1,091
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

There are a couple of hundred English translations of the Christian Scriptures (even more of the New Testament).

Until recently the NIV had outsold all others for the past 20 years, with the KJV still being the most widely circulated and used.

Beginning about 10 years ago, the caretakers of the NIV began to take some steps that were unpopular among many conservative Christians (primary users of the NIV) which has led to publication of the Today's New International Version. The past year or so, the NIV has faced some formidable challenges to its top spot. Two newcomers, the Holman Christian Standard (recently adopted as the official translation of the Southern Baptist Convention) and the English Standard Version (being favored by many Reformed and Presbyterian groups) have become very popular among conservative Christians.

For several months this year (2005), the New King James Version has taken over the top spot from the NIV in sales, knocking it from 1st for the first time in 20 years.

For what it's worth, I prefer English translations which somewhat favor the transmitter languages (Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek) rather than the receptor language (English), which usually makes them a bit choppier and classifies them as more literal in their equivalence. In order of preference (not necessarily their literal sequence) I like the English Standard Version, New American Standard Bible (1995 update), New King James Version, New Revised Standard Version, King James Version, and Geneva Bible.

In counter balance to Pax (love the name BTW), I think the New American Bible (NAB) (a Roman Catholic translation often confused with the NASB), which is a quite literal and excellent Catholic Bible, may have been what was intended inĀ  the post from Pax.

There is also considerable disagreement within and without Catholic and Protestant groups as to whether the books of Tobit, etc. (often termed 'Apocrypha' or 'Deuterocanonical' were "removed from the original Bible" or indeed ever a part of the Bible canon of Scripture books. The whole boby of the Roman Catholic Church did not completely endorse them as Scripture until after the Protestant Reformation had begun. The stance of the Coptic and Eastern Orthodox Church is also worthy of consideration..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hopper, you seem to be full of good knowledge and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

God bless you! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

:wub: Edited by hopper

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  04/10/1970

Great series of posts Hopper!!

Remember that the standard for a good or bad translation is how faithful it is to the original Greek or Hebrew.

If the translation is not "transparent" to the words used by the author then it is a paraphrase.

Secondarily, you should look at how that translation flows when read aloud. A good translation will be accurate to original Hebrew and Greek and flow well in your native tongue.

The English Standard Version is one of the best english translations you can get today.

http://www.esv.org

Steve