:thumbsup:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  172
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Alot of Messianic Jews or Messianic followers are Torah Observant. What does this mean to you? Should I say...How do you follow the Torah?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  172

This isn't bait to bring out the worst in people. This is a way to see our differences and humbly 'discuss' them. Not bait to fry the fish.

Maybe you could think of it as, WHAT do you say 'Torah' is, and how does it apply to your life?

Guest shiloh357
This isn't bait to bring out the worst in people.  This is a way to see our differences and humbly 'discuss' them.  Not bait to fry the fish. 

Maybe you could think of it as, WHAT do you say 'Torah' is, and how does it apply to your life?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The word Torah means teaching as you know. It comes from a root word which means, "to throw." The picture it paints is of a man throwing a spear at a target. It conveys the idea of "hitting the mark."

Torah observance is hitting the mark. The opposite of Torah is sin (chet), which means, "to miss the mark."

Since the word "Torah" means instruction, one could really say that the whole Bible is "Torah." The purpose of Torah is to point man to the Messiah. It shows man his sinful condition and his need for a Redeemer, a Messiah.

One cannot be "Torah observant" if they are not letting people see the Messiah through them. That is, I believe, the essence of Torah observance.

Our observance of the Festivals and Shabbat are pointless, if we fail to observe them in a way that points to Messiah, Yeshua.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  99
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edited by Tishri 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  627
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

This isn't bait to bring out the worst in people.  This is a way to see our differences and humbly 'discuss' them.  Not bait to fry the fish. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The word Torah means teaching as you know. It comes from a root word which means, "to throw." The picture it paints is of a man throwing a spear at a target. It conveys the idea of "hitting the mark."

Torah observance is hitting the mark. The opposite of Torah is sin (chet), which means, "to miss the mark."

Since the word "Torah" means instruction, one could really say that the whole Bible is "Torah." The purpose of Torah is to point man to the Messiah. It shows man his sinful condition and his need for a Redeemer, a Messiah.

One cannot be "Torah observant" if they are not letting people see the Messiah through them. That is, I believe, the essence of Torah observance.

Our observance of the Festivals and Shabbat are pointless, if we fail to observe them in a way that points to Messiah, Yeshua.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:emot-hug: Well said!

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  143
  • Birthday:  06/05/1967

This isn't bait to bring out the worst in people.

Guest Ahdiba

I would consider myself Torah-observant. How am I Torah-observant? I love the Messiah whom Torah guarantees and do the mitzvot as I learn and understand them. Perfectly, no. But as I learn, I comply.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  143
  • Birthday:  06/05/1967

With a humble heart God can do wonders. I like your attitude Ahdiba

Perfectly, no. But as I learn, I comply.

To me, this, is the heart of a child. The kind of child Yeshua says we must all be.

Here's another twist. What about that within Torah there are 'covenants'. or promises. Things God tells you in advance that he will do.

Torah is made up of Mitzvot and Britot, commands and covenants, orders and promises. One is for us, the other for God. One instructs us of what 'WE' are to do, the other instructs us of what "God" is going to do.

So, we know form Jerimiah that God is going to write his Torah upon our hearts. This is the covenant he makes with us. He made this promise 'through' his chosen nation, Yisrael. That thru her all the nations would receive this gift, this promise. And it has happend. 'It is fulfilled, radified'. Yeshua made the way.

Ahdiba, the only responses to Torah I see hear regard the Mitzvot. But there is also a 'covenant' issue to deal with within Torah. This is the twist.

Many only see Torah as 'Mitzvot' but don't understand the application or 'observance' of the covenants within it.

Mitzvot can be 'fulfilled' and so too Britot.

We are no longer required to circumcise our children, we are no longer required to offer blood sacrifices, we are no longer required to do alot of things commanded before because they forshadowed the coming of Yeshua, and the light has come into the world. So as we fulfill the commands, God fulfills his promises, and when they are fulfilled they are at peace. Shalom...rest. We rest from our works and he rests from his. We exist in the accomplishment of the work of Yeshua.

Those requirements were part of the promise made to Yisrael in the land. But God scattered us to the four corners of the world. And so now Yeshua says to us, 'go to the Lost sheep of the house of Yisrael' and gather them, AND ALL WHO JOIN TO HER! Yisrael is no longer in the land, and no longer under the custodian of that covenant. We have grown in our discipline. We are being gathered home again, and just as all the times before, all who join us will be welcomed by Abba.

So, my point. if we observe Torah commands? Do we not also observe the Covenants within it as well?

So to rephrase the question once more :whistling: How do you apply the promises and commandments within Torah to your life?

And I can see this coming before I even post this. We probably should define just WHAT the promises and commandments are. Yes, I see this as more of an issue than just defining yourself as Torah observant.

If Torah is made up of instructions to us about what we are to do and what God will do. Commands and promises.

Then what are they and how do they apply to you?