IGNORED

-Did I go too far?

Guest fields316_2000

Guest fields316_2000

During service this week several teens were behind me laughing and playing and being loud. It was annoying at the beginning of service, but after awhile it began to make me mad. We were told to raise to our feet and pray for others with injurys, and these teens got loud with thier laughing and actually started to push each other- which resulted into them bumping into our pew , into me..

Im a SGT in the army. I immediatly lost my cool and turned and told them with my out side voice to "STOP ! We are in service- do you mind if we worship?"

which drew the attention of everyone in our side of the room.The mother didnt do so much but give me a dirty look and all the ladies that were in the area are angry with me because i stepped out and did that.

excuses are now being made for them because they havent been in church for awhile and now that they finally went i m the scap goat for why they dont want to go back or even take god seriously.

My reaction and position is this - if people can take pride in football scores or gang colors why cant i take god's word just as seriously? If people fight in the street over red or blue, why can't i get upset when someone is disturbing me hearing the word of god - considering it is a matter of heaven or hell?

generally id like to know what do you guys think of this situation, and if i should have been more tactful in my approach? :P

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

I do agree that it's incredibly annoying when people are being disruptive during the service...same with classes...

I totally sympathize with you, but I do kinda think that a more tactful approach would've been effective. Remember, while we must tell the truth, it should also be in love.

Edit: I need to learn to type :P

Edited by Iryssa

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Well, I think you did right. Maybe you shoulda' made 'em do 20 pushups!

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  08/28/1962

Fields I applaud you on what you did. It was the parents responsibility to make these children mind. Too many want to sit back and do nothing whether its kids being unruly in church all the way to what they are wearing to church. You were just doing what should have been done by the leaders in the church, also when people were added to the church they were saved then added according to the church in the book of acts. People assume just because they are in church automatically means they are saved. In His Service TEN COMMANDMENTS

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  142
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  01/01/1985

Yes.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

IMO, the mother is the one who should be ashamed, not you. Ask the people who are condemning you now why they didn't take action to bring respect back to the worship service. It's easy to criticize, but what did they do to help?

Probably, it would have been better if a deacon or elder went over and quietly asked the kids to stop or be removed. Another option would have been to put up with it and then have a deacon or elder approach the mother about it after the service.

However, sometimes it takes a hard line to get results. It's a shame that the blame is being put on you rather than where it belongs.

Don't sweat it, Brother. You stood up for God. :cool:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  142
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  05/20/1970

I think you did good. If nobody else was going to chastise them for their behaviour, then someone had to do it. It's too bad that the mother's can't understand that their kids need to be more respectful.

We have had this problem with our teens in worship as well. Particularly coming from the preacher's daughter who I will refer to as "Stacy". Our youth minister decided that we as parents should all help solve this problem by making sure our kids sit more towards the front of the auditorium so that they can't so easily get away with their actions. There have been serveral people who have to remind "Stacy" to move forward, and she has been so disrespectful and told one woman to "talk to the hand", and other people she outright told them she didn't have to move. She plays it off as if she is joking, but we haven't let her get by with it. I think it's time for a serious discussion with her mom and dad over these actions from her, although I doubt anything will be done about it. She is spoiled and coddled. sigh...Im thankful that we have parents willing to stand up to her though, and make her abide by the rules.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  1,091
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

Probably a little bit more than was necessary, but giving that you're in the military I could see how that woud be your "programmed response."

I don't think it is that big of a deal and, if you feel led to, perhaps you can approach this family in private and say something like;

"Look, I apologize if I caused you some embarrassment, but something needed to be done about the situation. Can we put it behind us and move on?"

They would have to be "King Carne" #1 to say "NO, we're not gonna forget about it!."

Just continue to walk in grace and love towards those in your church and, as another has said, it will pass as the novelty of what you did wears off.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Bless you brother,

If that was happening in my Church?

The Pastor himself would have called out from the pulpit for them to come sit down front next to someone in leadership. How embarrased would those parents have been then?

I have seen our Pastor in youth call these unruly children out by name and then warn them that if they act in such a manner twice more and are admonished? They will be asked to refrain from coming to youth for two weeks.

There has to be Structure brother.

Don't let it bother you.

Whether they are returning and new or not? There has to be respect for the Word and the professing of such. Respect for God. For surely we don't go to Church to feel good about ourselves. We go to Church to Worship God.

There are times for such behavior and it is not during Worship nor the Preaching of the Word.

Peace,

Dave

Guest Zayit
Fields I applaud you on what you did. It was the parents responsibility to make these children mind. Too many want to sit back and do nothing whether its kids being unruly in church all the way to what they are wearing to church. You were just doing what should have been done by the leaders in the church, also when people were added to the church they were saved then added according to the church in the book of acts. People assume just because they are in church automatically means they are saved. In His Service TEN COMMANDMENTS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto! :whistling: They should not be allowed to treat the church or anywhere that believers congregate to pray and worship as it is just another place that they are "hangin out'. Children of today need to be taught exactly what reverence is. How else can they fear and love the L-rD?