• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/24/1967

I read in 'The Purpose Driven Life' that all trial are a test of our faith. I have a view which may not be opposed to his but it is different. I believe trials are used by God to build our relationship with Him. The world experiences the same trials as we, but the effect should be different. We are a new and different creation. Therefore, the trials of life effect us in a different way. Trials cause us to go to the Father in prayer because Jesus made it possible and the Holy Spirit comforts us. My question is; are trials a tests of our faith to inform God, or has the new birth caused a shift in cause and effect for the christian so that now trials bring us to God ; and are for our benefit? :24:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  116
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  678
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

James would agree wholeheartedly, Rob!

2Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, 3for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. 4And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

5If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. 6But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. 7For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; 8he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

9Let the lowly brother boast in his exaltation, 10and the rich in his humiliation, because like a flower of the grass he will pass away. 11For the sun rises with its scorching heat and withers the grass; its flower falls, and its beauty perishes. So also will the rich man fade away in the midst of his pursuits.

12Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.

Welcome to Worthyboards! :24:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  27
  • Birthday:  12/31/1981

From experience. You can't grow without falling. When you fall you tackle that obstacle and become stronger. You can't not learn from making mistakes and falling. If a trial comes your way that you've come across before you will know how to handle it. You would have overcome. It keeps us on our toes. :24:

• Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  881
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

My question is; are trials a tests of our faith to inform God, or has the new birth caused a shift in cause and effect for the christian so that now trials bring us to God ; and are for our benefit? 

Consider Abraham's trial in Gen. 22 or Job. God always knows the out come from the beginning. Our trials are not to increase His knowledge. Though the outcome is known by God, it is not known to Abraham or Job or us. Through our trials, the thing that is known to God, becomes known to us. His knowing, becomes our knowing. We come to know ourselves as He knows us and we know God also. That He is faithful and trustworthy.

Many today think walking by faith is more like taking a leap off a ledge in the dark. It is not. Abraham had walked with God many years before he came to Gen 22. God had shown Himself trust worthy many times to Abraham.

If I never had a problem, I'd never know that God could solve them. I'd never know what faith in God can do.

Guest NewPilgrim

Everything you need to know about trials is right there in Romans 5v1-5....it also goes hand in hand with 1Cor 10v13 :24:

Rom 5:1  Therefore, since we are justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Rom 5:2  Through him we have obtained access to this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in our hope of sharing the glory of God.

Rom 5:3  More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance,

Rom 5:4  and endurance produces character, and character produces hope,

Rom 5:5  and hope does not disappoint us, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit which has been given to us.

1Cr 10:13  No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your strength, but with the temptation will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

God chose these promises to see me through my time in prison...worked wonders :24:

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  09/02/1981

Hey,

Wow everyone pretty much summed it up here.

But yeah when trials happen the Lord uses them to shape us into the person he wants us to be. They are also used to bring us back to him, if we fall away a little. And it teaches us patience, which is part of what I said about him shaping us.

And Im sure there are a millions of other reasons we dont know about, cause the Lord is multi-purpose!! :13:

Just trust in him and acknowledge he will work everything out and you will be more than fine.

Peace

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  14
  • Birthday:  10/24/1967

Consider Abraham's trial in Gen. 22 or Job.  God always knows the out come from the beginning.  Our trials are not to increase His knowledge.  Though the outcome is known by God, it is not known to Abraham or Job or us.  Through our trials, the thing that is known to God, becomes known to us.  His knowing, becomes our knowing.  We come to know ourselves as He knows us and we know God also.  That He is faithful and trustworthy.

Many today think walking by faith is more like taking a leap off a ledge in the dark.  It is not.  Abraham had walked with God many years before he came to Gen 22.  God had shown Himself trust worthy many times to Abraham. 

If I never had a problem, I'd never know that God could solve them.  I'd never know what faith in God can do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is exactly what I was thinking. The world will also say that hard times make them stronger. That is a known principle common to all. But, the christian will not become stronger...he will become weaker, more dependent on God. When we are weak, then we are strong. :13:

Edited by rob1

• Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  812
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  06/15/1961

We were just talking about this last Sunday.

Trials and going through them also form Jesus in you. As you come upon each trial and go to the Lord and respond the way the Lord would respond you become more like Jesus. So that when people see you, they see Jesus in you.

Guest SiriusMuggle

I believe that we experience trials for a few reasons:

1. Because we're Christians, we're set to be hated by the world and therefore experience pain, suffering, trials, and tribualtions.

2. Because of our own sin, the choices we make that are sinful come with consequences that therefore translate into trials and tribulations.

3. Trials and tribulations we have been through may be used to help another through the same the situation

4. God's will

How we choose to behave during these trying times is the proof in the pudding so to speak. During trials, do we turn to God and as for His wisdom, guidance, and delivery, or do we run from Him and try to fix it ourselves? That can only be answered by us.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

Trials are a good thing its like rain for the plant, because too much sun makes a desert :)