Footprint

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  47
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

There has been a lot of controversy surrounding Born Again Speaking in Tongues and I hope this will clarify a few things...

To receiving the Holy Ghost as they did in the book of Acts, we need to repent, find a church that baptizes full immersion into the water having the NAME of Jesus pronounced over us, and be filled with the Holy Ghost speaking in tongues (Acts chapter 2).

Note, receiving the Holy Ghost can be before or after water baptism but never before repentance.

Now, the initial speaking in tongues is NOT the gift of tongues a stated in 1Corinthians, it is the SOUND that Jesus spoke of in his conversation with Nicodemus...

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
[5] Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
[8] The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

When they were filled with the Holy Ghost in Acts chapter 2, they ALL spoke in tongues...

Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

I'm not trying to make any of this to sound "super spiritual" but only relating what God Himself intended for his people.

When God created all that was created he made a parallel between what is spirit and what is the natural.
When a woman is in the hospital birthing room, and the baby is born, it begins to cry, and we know there is movement, there is sound, there is life.

When we are baptized in Jesus name and filled with the Holy Ghost speaking in tongues, as it is with the New Testament Church in the book of Acts, we know there is movement, there is sound, there is LIFE, a baby in the church womb is just birthed forth, and is now Born Again, born of Spirit!

This initial tongues is like having a car...

Although the car has power windows, power locks and radio, none of that is of any use without the battery under the hood. When we get the Holy Ghost speaking in tongues, it is like getting the battery and, now that we have the Holy Ghost the Bible way, we are now candidates to receive and use the power windows, power locks and radio as stated in 1Corinthians 12.

-Thank you.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  2

18 minutes ago, Footprint said:

There has been a lot of controversy surrounding Born Again Speaking in Tongues and I hope this will clarify a few things...

[Edited for space]

I'd like to clarify a few points that are unclear to me.

Can a person be born-again without being baptized by immersion in water in Jesus' name?  Can a person be born-again without speaking in tongues?  I'm unsure from the OP if these are being given as requirements for salvation, or if they are given as  a description of what frequently happened in Acts accompanying salvation.

I've known many charismatic and pentecostal Christians and am fairly familiar with their teachings on various things.  Using John 3:3 as a proof text for initial speaking in tongues accompanying salvation is a new one on me as is likening initial speaking in tongues with a baby starting to cry.  Many of the charismatics and pentecostals I know (this is in the U.S.) testify to a large gap in time (often month or years) between when they were born again and when they were water baptized and when they first spoke in tongues.  

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,268
  • Content Per Day:  3.31
  • Days Won:  30

Blessings, Footprint.  Do you believe in the Trinity?.  If you spoke in tongues when you were saved and produce fruit of the Spirit, I am thrilled for you.  If you were baptized in Jesus Name and not the Name of the Father, Son & Holy Spirit, I would still believe you were legitimately baptized if you had first surrendered to Christ as your Lord and Master.

Some people are only a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal when they speak in tongues because they become boastful, proud and divisive and lack love.  Some are seeking a gift instead of seeking God's face in humility.  So a more reliable evidence of having been born again is a total change in attitudes.  God gives them a new heart.  They are no longer boasting about sin but are ashamed of it.  They identify with and love Christ and other Christians.  They have a love for the Scriptures and profound peace and joy.  The are concerned for the lost.   

Jesus promised in Acts that they would receive power when the Holy Spirit had come upon them.  The Acts 2:4 experience was to empower them to do God's will, to preach the Gospel and to function as the church.  It was also a sign to unbelievers around them and a fulfillment of prophecy.  

This is from the statement of faith that you agreed to when you signed in:  

We believe in God, the almighty creator of heaven and earth.

We believe in the triunity of God. We believe that God is eternally One, and also eternally the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit — the three being distinct, but not separate. Each Person of the Godhead coexists from everlasting to everlasting.

We believe in the Messiah, Jesus, God’s only begotten son, God come in the flesh. He was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary. He suffered under Pontius Pilate. He was crucified, died and buried. On the third day, He rose again. Soon afterward He ascended into heaven. Now He is seated at the right hand of the Father and He will return to judge both the living and the dead and reign for evermore.

We believe all mankind are sinful and are therefore subject to God’s wrath and condemnation.

We believe that everyone is in need of God’s salvation. Mankind is absolutely unable to fulfill the heavy demands of God’s righteousness, holiness and glory. Therefore, God, in sending His Only Begotten Son, has accomplished redemption for us through the shedding of Jesus’ blood. Because of His Son’s death, God has forgiven us of our sins, reconciled us to Himself, and justified us by making Him our righteousness.

We believe that salvation is a gift received by faith alone, in Messiah alone, and is expressed in the individual’s recognition and repentance of sin, and the acceptance of the risen Messiah as Saviour, Lord and God.

We believe in the supreme Lordship of Jesus Christ, before whom every knee in heaven and on earth will bow. And that there is no other name under Heaven by which we can approach the holy throne of God. Jesus Christ is the one and only mediator between God and man.

We believe that immediately upon death, the soul of the believer is absent from the body, and present with the Lord.

We believe in the ongoing work of sanctification by the Holy Spirit after redemption for the purpose of producing life changing fruit — love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and self-control.

We believe that the 66 books of the Canon, from Genesis to Revelation are the exhaustive, inerrant and inspired word of God.

• Brilliant! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  47
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

On 7/5/2019 at 4:23 PM, GandalfTheWise said:

I'd like to clarify a few points that are unclear to me.

Can a person be born-again without being baptized by immersion in water in Jesus' name?  Can a person be born-again without speaking in tongues?  I'm unsure from the OP if these are being given as requirements for salvation, or if they are given as  a description of what frequently happened in Acts accompanying salvation.

I've known many charismatic and pentecostal Christians and am fairly familiar with their teachings on various things.  Using John 3:3 as a proof text for initial speaking in tongues accompanying salvation is a new one on me as is likening initial speaking in tongues with a baby starting to cry.  Many of the charismatics and pentecostals I know (this is in the U.S.) testify to a large gap in time (often month or years) between when they were born again and when they were water baptized and when they first spoke in tongues.  

Due to there being literally thousands of different religious organizations, denominations and autonomous congregations, today, with many different versions of the Holy Bible, there is a myriad of different interpretations and beliefs regarding the subjects of ...

1). Water Baptism by immersion in the Precious Name of Jesus, as opposed to immersion (OR sprinkling) using these words from Matthew 28:19 .. in the “name of the Father, AND of the Son, AND of the Holy Ghost”,
2). Being Born Again, of Water AND of the Spirit (the Bible Way), and
3). Speaking in Tongues.

Therefore, it is VERY important to remember several basic things ...

Deuteronomy 12:32 (KJV)
What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.
{{Don’t add to or take from Word}}

Matthew Chapter 7 (KJV)
13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
{{Do NOT follow the crowd}}

2 Peter 1:20 (KJV)
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
{{No private interpretation}}

Ephesians Chapter 4 (KJV)
4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
{{Only ONE WAY}}

2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV)
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
{{Study and rightly divide Word}}

2 Timothy 3:16 (KJV)
All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
{{God’s Word is all we need}}

At the Birth of the “Original” New Testament Church in Acts Chapter 2, the Bible is VERY clear about the Gospel (Good News) Message, it is NOT just believing that Messiah came, He lived, He died and He rose again. The Gospel Message is believing what He taught, AS WELL AS the fact that He came to Redeem (Save) that which was Lost, AND that His Death, Burial and Resurrection were ESSENTIAL elements of Redemption.

These elements are shown here, that ...

1) when a person genuinely repents, not only have they died out to sin, self and the world, where their “old man” dies, but they’ve identified with Messiah’s Death;
2) when they are water baptized by immersion, and they take upon themselves the Precious Name of Jesus (when the Name is applied), not only are their sins washed away but they are buried with Him in Baptism, and;
3) when they receive the Holy Ghost (Being born again) “the Bible way”, they begin their new walk in the fullness of Life in Christ, which symbolizes His resurrection.

Since the New Testament Plan of Salvation and the nine Spiritual Gifts, which God very definitely placed in His Church, are VERY important, but greatly misunderstood and misrepresented, today, I felt it necessary to first lay foundation, before I give you Biblical answers for your questions, which are...

1). Can a person be born-again without being baptized by immersion in water in Jesus' name?
2). Can a person be born-again without speaking in tongues?

Biblical response to your questions ...

Jesus (who had no sins to repent of) traveled over 50 miles to be water baptized by John the Baptist, to FULFILL all righteousness.
Mark Chapter 3 (KJV)
14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

NOTE: Many use the thief on the cross to justify not being baptized. However, the One in the MIDDLE {{JESUS}} is my example. The thief died BEFORE the completion of Jesus’ death, burial, resurrection and ascension, BEFORE the ushering in {{BIRTH}} of the “Original” New Testament Church, which occurred about 50 days AFTER Jesus’ Death, on the Jewish Feast Day {{Pentecost}} as recorded in Acts Chapter 2.

Although Jesus was close to death on the cross when he made that promise to the thief, he was not YET dead...

Hebrews 9:16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.

Water Baptism was COMMANDED by both Jesus AND Peter (who had been given the keys of the Kingdom).

JESUS’ GREAT COMMISSION ... (COMMANDMENT)

Matthew 28:19 (KJV)
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Acts 10:48 (KJV)
And he {{Peter}} commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Also, there are Biblical examples where people received the Gift of the Holy Ghost both before AND after they had been water baptized.

So, Water Baptism is NOT a sign that one has received the Gift of the Holy Ghost.  

*** Example One .. The following people had heard the Gospel, Believed the Gospel, AND had been Water Baptized in the Precious Name of Jesus, but had NOT received the Gift of the Holy Ghost, yet. They received the Holy Ghost, Later.

Acts Chapter 8 (KJV)
5 Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them.
6 And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did.
7 For unclean spirits, crying with loud voice, came out of many that were possessed with them: and many taken with palsies, and that were lame, were healed.
8 And there was great joy in that city.
14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

*** Example Two .. These Disciples of John the Baptist had been baptized unto the baptism of Repentance, but had NOT heard of, OR received, the Gift of the Holy Ghost. They received the Holy Ghost AFTER Paul’s preaching. AND they were also “re-baptized”, but this time, in the Precious Name of Jesus.

Acts Chapter 19 (KJV)
1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
7 And all the men were about twelve.

*** Example Three .. These people heard the Gospel Message, Believed the Gospel Message AND received the Gift of the Holy Ghost BEFORE Peter COMMANDED them to be Water Baptized.

Acts Chapter 10 (KJV)
44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

NOTE: the preponderance of Scriptural evidence that is found written verbatim upon the pages of the Holy Bible proves the “Original” (First Century) New Testament Church invoked the NAME “Jesus” at a baptismal ceremony, and did NOT “quote” the words of Jesus in Matthew 28:19. And a sentence diagram of Matthew 28:18 proves ONE NAME is being alluded to. Besides, nobody was being baptized in Matthew 28:19. Instead, Jesus was COMMANDING them what to “do” (go, teach and baptize <in a singular name>), and they went and carried out His Command. Nowhere, in the Bible did anyone  “quote” the words of Matthew 28:19. Also, Paul admonished us to do everything in word and deed in the name of Jesus, which includes Baptism, too. And here’s two verbatim “quotes” where the name of Jesus was invoked for other purposes besides water baptism ..

Acts 3:6 (KJV)
Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

Acts 16:18 (KJV)
And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour.

So, yes! The NAME is very vital!

Acts Chapter 4 (KJV)
10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.

12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Soooo, the Biblical answer to your first question, "Can a person be born-again without being baptized by immersion in water in Jesus' name?" ...

Since the New Birth, according to Jesus in John Chapter 3, consists of being born again of water AND of the Spirit, one which man does (of water) and the other one ONLY God can do (of the Spirit), YES, a person can be born again “of the Spirit” without having been water baptized, yet. However, I must refer you to Acts Chapter 10, where Peter COMMANDED those who had just received the Holy Ghost the same as he and those who came with him had, to immediately be Water Baptized.

Remember: to “ENTER” God’s Kingdom requires being born again of Water AND of the Spirit.

-------------------------

Now, to the subject of Speaking in Tongues.

There are actually THREE different operations of Speaking in Tongues in a fully functional Church.

PURPOSE # 1 .. the initial evidence of having received the Holy Ghost “the Bible way”, which can be interpreted for the edification of others.

John Chapter Three (KJV)
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

According to Jesus in Verse 8 (above) just as there is a “sound” associated (or present) with the wind, likewise, there is a “sound” associated (present) when EVERYONE is born of the Spirit.

My question is “What is the SOUND to which Jesus referred?

I submit to you that the preponderance of Scriptural evidence that is found written verbatim upon the pages of the Holy Bible of people in the New Testament Church proves to be “Speaking in Tongues as the Spirit of God gives utterance.” By the way, in the settings where it does NOT say one way or the other whether or not they spoke in Tongues should NOT be used to insist they did NOT. Instead, it just doesn’t say. I’ve never had anyone to present Scripture that says someone received the Holy Ghost but did NOT speak in Tongues. However, since Tongues has become a hot topic for many, both pro and con, many are falling into the trap of adding to or taking from God’s Word, depending on how you look at it.

PURPOSE # 2 .. used in one’s intercessory Prayer, as well as in their personal and private worship, which edifies the individual, but is NOT understood by anyone or interpreted for the edification of anyone else.

1 Corinthians Chapter 14 (KJV)
1 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.
2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

PURPOSE # 3 .. can be interpreted for the edification of an entire congregation.

1 Corinthians Chapter 14 (KJV)
5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

This Chapter in 1 Corinthians is mishandled by lots of people on both sides of the issue of Tongues. To keep (or maintain) silence in a church setting doesn’t mean a woman can’t utter a word or sing a hymn, nor does it mean one is prohibited from praying in Tongues. The sign in a Public Library that says to keep quiet, means that. It doesn’t mean nobody can utter a single syllable. Just keep quiet. Don’t disturb others. Simple! One of the ways most mother’s with small children helps to “keep (maintain) silence” is to take a noisy or disruptive child out. When she returns, she is NOT to talk to others to find out what was said while she was gone. She is supposed to wait and find out from her husband at home. Again, Simple! However, religious zealots are quick to make an issue out of a non issue OR to act as though they are an authority on a subject such as Tongues, yet they don’t speak in Tongues, they do believe Speaking in Tongues is for us today, and nobody in their congregation speaks in tongues.

In closing, I must admit, you’ve asked some of the toughest questions there are, in my opinion. And I’ve tried very diligently to address your questions.

Thanks, and God bless!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  302
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  1

Actually the controversy surrounds the baptism of the Spirit and tongues....not being born again and tongues.

The born again experience is a seed of divinity planted in our hearts that transforms our spirits into willing receptacles of godly direction. But that in itself is insufficient to overcome the deeply ingrained sin nature. This places us squarely in Romans 7. So then we have an alternative to our old nature....but this needs to be brought out by a further baptism INTO Christ by immersion of the Spirit (and not just water immersion which is it's symbol).

So we are to be baptized in the Spirit in order to be empowered to walk in the Spirit...as Jesus walked. This places us in Romans 8.

Tongues is just one of the spiritual gifts... among others ...as both a sign and a power to function in the realm of the Spirit. See 1 Cor. 12 for details.

Peace

Edited by Pekoudah
  • Thumbs Up 2