• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

51 minutes ago, Jostler said:

We don't get to decide what that definition is.  The Bible does.

I agree. But we do have to look at the whole Bible carefully to ensure that we are not missing anything. There are some who would limit the term 'prophet' to those bringing revelation from God to the Church for all time; but there are many people who are called 'prophets' in the Bible who would not fit that definition.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

7 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

Generally I agree with Jayne, except the 'closed canon' idea. Since Qumran and other text discoveries, newer translations have clarified and added important information. Considering all that the earlier translators had to work with they did a great job with the 1611 and earlier renditions. But I see nowhere except in 'doctrine' and certain 'bodies of bishops' (Mostly forerunners of the RCC) that the 'canon' is closed. Thus, if the Lord wishes to impart something new, thru something old that is freshly discovered (like at Qumran) who are we to disallow it?

I don't quite understand you. The discoveries at Qumran haven't changed the canon, and although our translations have improved nothing has been added to it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

9 minutes ago, Deborah_ said:

I absolutely agree. 

The question is whether there are also other, lesser, non-foundational ways of being apostles and prophets - and I believe we do have examples of such in the Bible.

I can agree with that.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

10 minutes ago, Deborah_ said:

I don't quite understand you. The discoveries at Qumran haven't changed the canon, and although our translations have improved nothing has been added to it.

"...there are differences (some quite significant) between the scrolls and the Masoretic text. Furthermore, these differences have made scholars rethink variant readings found in other ancient manuscripts. How should scholars treat these variants with relationship to the Masoretic text? Should they try to determine which readings are the most original and then incorporate them in a new critical edition of the Hebrew Bible? Or should they continue to use the Masoretic text as their base? Does a single version of the Hebrew Bible exist that is older than all others presently known, and if so, where is the original Bible? These questions are not merely academic; for any changes made to scholarly editions of the Masoretic text will have repercussions for decades of research and will affect all future Bible translations."

https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/biblical-artifacts/dead-sea-scrolls/the-masoretic-text-and-the-dead-sea-scrolls/

Of note: there are at least three 'canons'. The Ethiopian is the most complete but frowned on by western seminarians.

Edited by Justin Adams

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

19 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

"...there are differences (some quite significant) between the scrolls and the Masoretic text. Furthermore, these differences have made scholars rethink variant readings found in other ancient manuscripts. How should scholars treat these variants with relationship to the Masoretic text? Should they try to determine which readings are the most original and then incorporate them in a new critical edition of the Hebrew Bible? Or should they continue to use the Masoretic text as their base? Does a single version of the Hebrew Bible exist that is older than all others presently known, and if so, where is the original Bible? These questions are not merely academic; for any changes made to scholarly editions of the Masoretic text will have repercussions for decades of research and will affect all future Bible translations."

https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/biblical-artifacts/dead-sea-scrolls/the-masoretic-text-and-the-dead-sea-scrolls/

Of note: there are at least three 'canons'. The Ethiopian is the most complete but frowned on by western seminarians.

in  textual analysis, the oldest known versions are considered the  most authoritative.  the  Qumran scrolls are far older than any  texts extant prior to their discovery.  I'm not aware of any textual differences that affect doctrine....   I've familiarized myself with those textual issues, but I'm also far from an expert.   The Septuagint  is the oldest known document containing  the OT (i think :) ) and is unusually helpful in that it shows us how JEWISH scholars translated Hebrew into Greek some 200 years before Jesus was born.  The Septuagint (LXX) has been incredibly useful in revealing the  differences in how ancient and modern Hebrew are used.

There is no controversy that has any real effect on the doctrines taught in the MT and King James translation....it might be fodder for haters of God to claim His Word is unreliable but I am fully convinced He was and is fully capable of standing guard over His Words and delivering to us:

Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints.

faithfully and purely all we need to know to follow and obey Him.

But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.  As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.

Edited by Jostler
  • Thumbs Up 1