• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

40 minutes ago, unworthyservant said:

God's law has always been and will be through the rest of eternity! It was formalized after the delivery of His people from Egypt, but it existed for eternity. Someone else commented on each specific incident that was mentioned in the original post and did it pretty well so I'll only say that discussion about when God's law became God's law is counterproductive to ever answering questions of this type because it assumes that God's law actually has a starting point in human history.

friend unworthyservant:

nice screen name

Your proposition here is difficult to reconcile with scripture.  The Law of Moses contains more than 600 commands (depending on the counting method).  Many of the commands are generally ignored by most Bible readers.  The Law includes the commands that john1 refers to - no sex with close relatives.  As another person observed here, that would make the Gensis creation story quite short as the children of Adam and Eve would be without mates.  This leads some people to speculate that the LORD created other people for them to mate with.  Which, in turn leads to difficulties to understanding the original sin doctrine (in Adam, all died).

In the Garden, the LORD gives people all the plants to eat.

After the flood, the LORD gives people all animals to eat.

Through Moses, the LORD restricts what animals can be eaten.

ANd the Apostle Paul said that the Law was added so that SIN MIGHT INCREASE.  (not my words).

Certainly, we can see that the LORD does expect people to know what is acceptable in the period before the Law of Moses.  But we can also see that it changed.

The LORD also purposefully recorded His dealings with people before and after the he gave the Law to Moses.  He promises and demonstrates His Mercy over and over.

My purpose in replying is to point out that careful and thorough study can lead to a more meaningful understanding.

lftc

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.37

1 minute ago, lftc said:

friend unworthyservant:

nice screen name

Your proposition here is difficult to reconcile with scripture.  The Law of Moses contains more than 600 commands (depending on the counting method).  Many of the commands are generally ignored by most Bible readers.  The Law includes the commands that john1 refers to - no sex with close relatives.  As another person observed here, that would make the Gensis creation story quite short as the children of Adam and Eve would be without mates.  This leads some people to speculate that the LORD created other people for them to mate with.  Which, in turn leads to difficulties to understanding the original sin doctrine (in Adam, all died).

In the Garden, the LORD gives people all the plants to eat.

After the flood, the LORD gives people all animals to eat.

Through Moses, the LORD restricts what animals can be eaten.

ANd the Apostle Paul said that the Law was added so that SIN MIGHT INCREASE.  (not my words).

Certainly, we can see that the LORD does expect people to know what is acceptable in the period before the Law of Moses.  But we can also see that it changed.

The LORD also purposefully recorded His dealings with people before and after the he gave the Law to Moses.  He promises and demonstrates His Mercy over and over.

My purpose in replying is to point out that careful and thorough study can lead to a more meaningful understanding.

lftc

Right, I said the law of God was eternal, I didn't say that certain things (like incest) were actually meant to be from the beginning or whether God planned them for the time that we would have need to spread the gene pool around. I just wanted to point out that the God's law didn't begin with Moses but was given through him at God's appointed time and place. Point is, God knows and if He needed me to understand any certain point He would show me. Otherwise, I prefer to use my time for things that directly affect myself and others in this day and age with the faith that God has His reasons for what might seem a conundrum to us.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

4 minutes ago, unworthyservant said:

Point is, God knows and if He needed me to understand any certain point He would show me. Otherwise, I prefer to use my time for things that directly affect myself and others in this day and age with the faith that God has His reasons for what might seem a conundrum to us.

very true.  We walk with the Living God.

I hope you hear directly from Him today.  (me too, please)

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

7 minutes ago, unworthyservant said:

Right, I said the law of God was eternal,

Hebrews chapter 7 verse 19

(for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.