unworthyservant

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0

Just saw on TV where they're playing NFL football again. That reminds me of some more numbers. Americans spend around $100 Billion dollars per year on sports related items. Everything from attending games to merchandise and the like. On top of that it's estimated that they spend somewhere between $100 and $400 Billion betting on just sports(wide range because much of it is illegal). And as for gambling, there's another $80 Billion spent on lotteries. So using the low estimate for sports gambling that's a total of $280 Billion and with 75% of Americans identifying as Christian, if we attribute 75% of that spending to Christians, we're in the neighborhood of $200 Billion. (math isn't my strong suit and I'm too lazy to use the calculator) Now the question; if posed with the question "We have an extra $200 Billion dollars after paying our living expenses. What should we do with it?" What would Jesus say? Spend it on sports and betting or on the poor and needy?

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

9 hours ago, unworthyservant said:

Just saw on TV where they're playing NFL football again. That reminds me of some more numbers. Americans spend around $100 Billion dollars per year on sports related items. Everything from attending games to merchandise and the like. On top of that it's estimated that they spend somewhere between $100 and $400 Billion betting on just sports(wide range because much of it is illegal). And as for gambling, there's another $80 Billion spent on lotteries. So using the low estimate for sports gambling that's a total of $280 Billion and with 75% of Americans identifying as Christian, if we attribute 75% of that spending to Christians, we're in the neighborhood of $200 Billion. (math isn't my strong suit and I'm too lazy to use the calculator) Now the question; if posed with the question "We have an extra $200 Billion dollars after paying our living expenses. What should we do with it?" What would Jesus say? Spend it on sports and betting or on the poor and needy?

I don't believe in gambling. I enjoy sports, though.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,569
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

10 hours ago, unworthyservant said:

What would Jesus say?

Go Bucs! ?

Actually I took a knee on NFL a couple years back and haven't watched nor followed any team since then. For me it is Go Rays Baseball.  Jesus doesn't seem to mind a bit, but I do think He must be a Yankees fan.

Seems God has no need of money. My gifts and sacrifices are to honor Him, and my sharing is simply to help others as they also help me at times too. He provides abundantly that which is perfect for my daily need and it also helps work toward my sanctification. He only wants me to fully  pay my taxes and pay timely the merchants that supply me with  my needs, and not take another brother or sister  to court.

God seems not to worry about whether I enjoy golf or not, but he also never showed me how not to slice into the wood. Evidently He likes seeing me there among the chipmunks, and an occasional wandering alligator seeking a new pond to fish.

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

Go Bucs! ?

Actually I took a knee on NFL a couple years back and haven't watched nor followed any team since then. For me it is Go Rays Baseball.  Jesus doesn't seem to mind a bit, but I do think He must be a Yankees fan.

Seems God has no need of money. My gifts and sacrifices are to honor Him, and my sharing is simply to help others as they also help me at times too. He provides abundantly that which is perfect for my daily need and it also helps work toward my sanctification. He only wants me to fully  pay my taxes and pay timely the merchants that supply me with  my needs, and not take another brother or sister  to court.

God seems not to worry about whether I enjoy golf or not, but he also never showed me how not to slice into the wood. Evidently He likes seeing me there among the chipmunks, and an occasional wandering alligator seeking a new pond to fish.

Obviously God has no need of money. And I don't mean to imply that it's sinful to be happy when your team is victorious. But Christ did tell us what to do with our money and what not to do. TO DO: Help the poor and the needy. NOT TO DO: Spend it on earthly pleasures for ourselves. So, for me it's simple. Should I spend my money on sports for pleasure or on the poor as Christ commanded? Think of it this way. You mention golf. You have to buy clubs. I don't know how much that costs but lets just use $100. (I just checked and some single clubs sell for more than that so let's say $200.) Then you have to pay a fee at most golf clubs to use their course. Lets say that runs another $30 per month (I'm stabbing in the dark here but you'll see the point isn't whether my numbers are accurate.) Just went and searched so I'm abandoning my numbers in favor of those from Golf magazine. According to their numbers, in 2005 the average golfer spent $2776 on golf alone (wow). Now ask this question of the Lord. Lord I have $2776 left after I pay my living expenses, what should I do with it? Spend it on golf or give it to the poor? WWJS? By the way, while the start of the NFL season prompted my post, it's more about the money than the particular sport. Go Reds! (no, I haven't purchased even a hat)

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

14 hours ago, unworthyservant said:

"We have an extra $200 Billion dollars after paying our living expenses.

What you mean "We" Ke-mo sah-bee? I don't see that many zeros in my bank account before or after living expenses.

• Haha 2

I mean we collectively as Christians if you take the fact that 75% of us identify as Christian. Obviously each individual in that total contributes to it according to their unique situation. The numbers that I used are simply the numbers that are published by many reliable sources (and there are many, check them out for yourself). And remember it is a total of spending by over 200 million who identify as Christian. So, if you aren't among those who are contributing in any way to the total, then it's not about you. If you're spending the money with which God has blessed you for sports related merchandise or the like then it's a question as to whether that money should go to professional sports teams and gamblers or to the poor.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

2 hours ago, unworthyservant said:

If you're spending the money with which God has blessed you for sports related merchandise or the like then it's a question as to whether that money should go to professional sports teams and gamblers or to the poor.

So with that line of thinking. What does God aprove of us spending money on? What would be the max we could spend on a shirt, a pair of pants and shoes before it is excess? Food? If we are eating anything more than rice and beans we are wasting God's money.

55 minutes ago, Bawcash said:

So with that line of thinking. What does God aprove of us spending money on? What would be the max we could spend on a shirt, a pair of pants and shoes before it is excess? Food? If we are eating anything more than rice and beans we are wasting God's money.

You ask a question about what God does approve of us spending money on. I have mentioned that Christ only told us one thing to spend it on. He said it time after time but it was always generally the same, spend it on the poor, the needy and the less fortunate. I believe that God gives us financial gains to test our faith. To see whether we'll spend it for the treasures of this world or for His glory by giving it to the poor. So, it's more like where your heart is, there should be where your money goes. Christ said "You cannot serve God and mammon."

So, if you want a specific answer to what God "approves" of us spending it on, while I'm not worthy to speak specifically or make lists for God, I'll say generally, anything that is necessary to live in this world, without chasing it's pleasures and treasures. So, God knows that we need food, clothing and shelter and some of the modern conveniences that are necessary like electric, etc. and while God may allow for things like laptops, phones and internet, since in this age they can be used for His service, I think He would frown on spending money on pleasures like pro sports and betting (which was the subject) while children are starving right in front of your eyes.

As for whats the max you could or should spend on pants and shirts, I guess that would vary depending on your locale and prices there as well as what type of clothing, etc you NEED for whatever your work. All I can say is that short sleeve shirts recently raised from $2 to $3 at my local Goodwill store and I can buy pretty good jeans locally for around $10. That's all I need so I can only speak for myself.

And as for food like rice and beans, while I love rice and beans, I like other stuff, too.  I think that as long as a person isn't spending extravagantly on their gastric delights that God probably wants us to eat well so that we'll have the energy and strength to do his will.

Edited by unworthyservant
add word
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

I don't believe in gambling. I enjoy sports, though.

Nothing wrong with enjoying sports. I'm all for getting out and doing things that aren't terribly expensive. I believe that God probably wants us to do our best to stay in shape so we will be better able to do his work. I also don't believe that God would probably mind if we watch a sporting event if it's on free TV but it's when faced with the question whether to buy tickets to a pro sports event or buy the sport related merchandise that a person must ask themselves, what would Jesus tell us to do? Buy the ticket or merchandise for our own pleasure and the profit of the team/organization or use the money for God's will and give it to the poor?

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

4 minutes ago, unworthyservant said:

Nothing wrong with enjoying sports. I'm all for getting out and doing things that aren't terribly expensive. I believe that God probably wants us to do our best to stay in shape so we will be better able to do his work. I also don't believe that God would probably mind if we watch a sporting event if it's on free TV but it's when faced with the question whether to buy tickets to a pro sports event or buy the sport related merchandise that a person must ask themselves, what would Jesus tell us to do? Buy the ticket or merchandise for our own pleasure and the profit of the team/organization or use the money for God's will and give it to the poor?

I think we need to have some fun. Otherwise we would sooner or later become demoralized, wouldn't we?