• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

19 minutes ago, lftc said:

I asked:

Are you asking for people's opinions of the characteristics of a historic Pharisee, from when the sect was operational during the time of the Christ?

Or are you asking for people's opinions of the characteristics of people for whom they would use the term as a pejorative to describe?

There are endless examples of people misusing a term lend strength to their statements.  In formal logic studies, this is called equivocation.  I personally try to avoid such things, although I do fail at most things I try. But in light of that I will only post my opinions on the historic Pharisees.

I am out of time, so I will not look up references for you, but as the history of the Jewish sect called the Pharisees is a matter that is outside the accounts given in the scriptures, I suggest that the reader of this post conduct their own research on the internet; just watch out for deception.

Here are what I think are the important points:

- the Jews had a bad history of keeping the law (we can know this from the accounts in the scriptures)  They pretty much failed at it all the time

- the Jews got conquered by outside kingdoms as promised by the LORD for their failures.  The southern kingdom was hauled off to Babylon

- while in Babylon, the leaders decided to institute groups to try to do better at keeping the law.  This is the origin of much of the practices of interpreting/keeping the law as we currently have in the various collections such as the mishnah and its derivatives.  There were various groups striving to maintain and amplify the teachings of the Torah, among them the Saducees. These were largely oral traditions until just before the time of Christ, when they began to be written.

- Somewhere around 150 years Before Christ, a new group striving to keep the Torah emerged - the Pharisees.  Their name means separatists.  They were very focused on precise following of the Law.  Josephus (the best extra-biblical history we have) says that they were very well respected by the people. As I certainly would expect as they were doing everything in their power to obey the Law.

- As you can tell from the New Testament, they were the dominant Jewish sect at the time of Christ.

That's probably enough of a history from me.  I expect others to hopefully quote the numerous passages about Jesus' interactions with them.  Just keep in mind who they were - dedicated to keeping and teaching the Law of Moses with understandings on how ot apply the Law to daily life.

Given the flame posts I got on other topics, let me be clear - I do not believe the Law ever saved anyone.  In fact, the Law itself never promises to give anyone eternal life.  Jesus does that.  But not through the Law.

You are making this too complicated. Please refer to the OP.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.33
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:23 PM, missmuffet said:

The pharisees were hypocrites. 

For they say DO and yet they DO NOT .

Kinda the point pual was making in romans ,  YOU who teach a man not to steal ,  DO YOU STEAL .

Perhaps a more modern example .   YE who say commit no adultery , YET PUT AWAY YOUR WIVES and REMARRY . 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

22 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

You are making this too complicated. Please refer to the OP.

Sorry, I thought you were asking who the Pharisees were.

On 9/1/2019 at 5:52 AM, missmuffet said:

What are some of the signs of being a modern day Pharisee?

1. Pharisees know what to say, but do not do what they say. 

Any more?

The Pharisees ask questions but do not like the answers.

They preach and say OH be tolerant , accept all ,  don't judge , don't hate .    YET hate , no tolerance ,  no accepting , and total judgment against any or all

who would dare speak BIBLE TRUTH .     And we got these in lots of big churches too .       They wont tolerate one ounce of correction

and will accuse those WHO USE JESUS SAYINGS as being a Pharisee .  BUT wasn't it the Pharisees WHO DID NOT HEED HIS SAYINGS .   EXACTLY .   OH PRAISE GOD ,  EXACTLY .

NOW WE KNOW who the real Pharisees are . ITS THOSE WHO OPPOSE JESUS and if we oppose HIS TEACHINGS , THEN WE OPPPOSE HIM .      Be hearers and doers my friends . 

• Thumbs Up 1

Any more?

The Pharisees are experts in Law and righteous living and use their knowledge of Law to condemn people

Any more?

The Pharisees use their tremendous knowledge of scripture in such a way that people have no hope

Any more?

The Pharisees use their political power to destroy the lives of any that disagree with them.

Any more?

The Pharisees believed in living by the Law, the rules of which exceed the righteousness of every person reading this, yet Jesus said that to enter the Kingdom of Heaven your righteousness must exceed theirs. 

4 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

Didn't the Pharisees also add many of their own rules and regulations to the Law?

That sounds familiar, doesn't it

Exactly .  SO lets ADD nothing to or take anything from , ALL of what JESUS both did and taught and what the apostels would later teach .

I HAVE DREAMED FOR THIS DAY .   HOW I have longed for it .       Its IS the Pharisees that do that ,   and make all kinds of excuses for why THEY OMIT the words of CHRIST .

WANNA example .     Well says the preacher to the man on his fifth wife ,  GOD IS LOVE and ALL IS WELL , GOD GIVES GRACE , GOD UNDERSTANDS.

THUS Making what JESUS said about putting away the wife or husand and remarrying of no effect  .     OOPS and many other like things do they do .

Exactly .    NOW lets SEE WHO really LOVES JESUS and who don't .    Because whoever loves HIM would not twist or omit His sayings and USE GRACE as  a license to do so .

I have long dreamed of the day when all would return and have the joy fo the LORD and love ALL HIS sayings and ALL the apostels wrote and said would be loved and obeyed .

FROM hearts of JOY . 

Edited by frienduff thaylorde