IGNORED

IS CALLING UPON THE NAME OF THE LORD ONLY FOR ISRAEL ?

douge

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  354
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  964
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  0

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

This verse is often used in the context of proclaiming the gospel of salvation, but in the context of Romans 10 it is best viewed as being directed to Israel.

The subject of Romans 10 is the salvation of Israel (Romans 10:1).

While Paul acknowledges the church calling upon the name of the Lord Jesus Christ in 1 Corinthians 1:2 he does so in a descriptive sense and in accord with Psalm 145:18; his citations of calling upon the Lord found in Romans 10 are strictly in regard to the believing remnant of Israel.

Acts 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

2:14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:

2:15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.

2:16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

Peter was speaking to Israel in verse 14. Peter said in verse 16 that this occurrence was according to the prophet Joel (Joel 2:28-29). Peter quoted Joel 2:32 in Acts 2:21 in saying "whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved".

Joel 2:32 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call.

In Joel it can be read that "whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered", which means they would be delivered to enter the Davidic kingdom on earth (Isaiah 2:2-3 Psalm 22:28 Luke 1:32). In Joel 2:32, calling on the name of the Lord is speaking in regard to the believing remnant of Israel.

Chapters 9, 10 and 11 of Romans are dealing with the salvation of Israel. The verses below in Romans further substantiate that Paul was speaking of the believing remnant of Israel and how calling on the Lord should therefore be viewed in this light.

Romans 10:19 But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you.

Romans 9:24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

9:25 As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.

9:26 And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.

9:27 Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved:

Israel, as can be seen in the above verses, would be provoked to jealousy by a foolish nation who are not a people (Deuteronomy 32:21); this foolish nation is the believing remant of Israel comprised of both Jew and Gentile (Romans 10:12); the people who were not a people, but called the children of God, the people of God (Hosea 1:10 Hosea 2:23 1 Peter 2:9-10).

Clearly, Romans 10:13 in speaking of calling on the name of the Lord is best applied to Israel.

Edited by douge

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  228
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

On 11/22/2019 at 6:56 AM, douge said:

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

This verse is often used in the context of proclaiming the gospel of salvation, but in the context of Romans 10 it is best viewed as being directed to Israel.

The subject of Romans 10 is the salvation of Israel (Romans 10:1).

While Paul acknowledges the church calling upon the name of the Lord Jesus Christ in 1 Corinthians 1:2 he does so in a descriptive sense and in accord with Psalm 145:18; his citations of calling upon the Lord found in Romans 10 are strictly in regard to the believing remnant of Israel.

Acts 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

2:14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:

2:15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.

2:16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

Peter was speaking to Israel in verse 14. Peter said in verse 16 that this occurrence was according to the prophet Joel (Joel 2:28-29). Peter quoted Joel 2:32 in Acts 2:21 in saying "whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved".

Joel 2:32 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call.

In Joel it can be read that "whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered", which means they would be delivered to enter the Davidic kingdom on earth (Isaiah 2:2-3 Psalm 22:28 Luke 1:32). In Joel 2:32, calling on the name of the Lord is speaking in regard to the believing remnant of Israel.

Chapters 9, 10 and 11 of Romans are dealing with the salvation of Israel. The verses below in Romans further substantiate that Paul was speaking of the believing remnant of Israel and how calling on the Lord should therefore be viewed in this light.

Romans 10:19 But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you.

Romans 9:24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

9:25 As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.

9:26 And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.

9:27 Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved:

Israel, as can be seen in the above verses, would be provoked to jealousy by a foolish nation who are not a people (Deuteronomy 32:21); this foolish nation is the believing remant of Israel comprised of both Jew and Gentile (Romans 10:12); the people who were not a people, but called the children of God, the people of God (Hosea 1:10 Hosea 2:23 1 Peter 2:9-10).

Clearly, Romans 10:13 in speaking of calling on the name of the Lord is best applied to Israel.

Specifically....FUTURE Israel.

All the O.T. promises about Israel are when the Lord Jesus returns to save them.

The Church is only included in this Millennial experience per Hebrews 10:15-17.

We are basically in a pre-Milennial experience now.

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:24 AM, KJVOnly said:

Specifically....FUTURE Israel.

All the O.T. promises about Israel are when the Lord Jesus returns to save them.

The Church is only included in this Millennial experience per Hebrews 10:15-17.

We are basically in a pre-Milennial experience now.

Hebrews 10 is not about the church, the body of Christ, but it is speaking of the fulfillment of the new covenant (Jeremiah 31:31-34 Ezekiel 36:24-28) for the believing remnant of Israel, the Israel of God at the coming of Christ to establish the millennial earthly kingdom. 

18 minutes ago, douge said:

Hebrews 10 is not about the church, the body of Christ, but it is speaking of the fulfillment of the new covenant (Jeremiah 31:31-34 Ezekiel 36:24-28) for the believing remnant of Israel, the Israel of God at the coming of Christ to establish the millennial earthly kingdom. 

Hebrews 10:15-18 King James Version (KJV)

15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,

16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

This passage includes the church in Israels future promise per Jer 31.

2 hours ago, KJVOnly said:

Hebrews 10:15-18 King James Version (KJV)

15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,

16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

This passage includes the church in Israels future promise per Jer 31.

Misidentifying us as the church would lead to saying the new covenant is made to the church, the body of Christ when Jeremiah 31:31 says it is to the house of Israel and Judah.

11 minutes ago, douge said:

Misidentifying us as the church would lead to saying the new covenant is made to the church, the body of Christ when Jeremiah 31:31 says it is to the house of Israel and Judah.

Not at all.

The writer of Hebrews simply includes the church in this teeny portion of future Israel's promise per Jer 31.

Also, this inclusion into their future promise is limited, unlike when the promise is finally fulfilled to the fathers at the Millennial Reign.....

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

This means we can only enjoy this pre-Millennial experience with a "welders mask" on.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

No, it is not only for Israel. Calling upon the name of the Lord is basic for salvation and faith. God promises to save those who, in faith, call upon His name. 

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

IS CALLING UPON THE NAME OF THE LORD ONLY FOR ISRAEL ?

Romans 10:13 is clear: "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.".