confidence

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  270
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

How does one obtain self-confidence?  In our world (so caught-up with outward appearances), how does one feel confident about themselves?  It seems everywhere, we are "brainwashed" that we aren't good enough unless we fit a certain mold.  I watch very little tv, do not subscribe to magazines because of this...Any verses to support/help?

thanx!  :shocked:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Kiwi,

With all the "Bible scholars" here, I would think you'd get some feedback-maybe there ISN'T any?? (verses, I mean) for now, pray-God will help you (or whomever).  luck to ya

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

BTW,

maybe post this is "debateable issues"?? it may be looked at there

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Kiwi, I am not very good at this, but I'm gonna try.  Here's what I believe:

We are not to be self confident. We are to be confident in the Lord. We can do nothing by ourselves or be anything by ourselves except flesh driven, man-made accomplishments.  However, we are children of God through the sacrifice of our Lord Jesus.  Therefore, you Kiwi, are a princess. You are loved by the Creator of everything. You are redemed by His precious Son, the Great I Am, Who is preparing a mansion just for you as I write this. With the Holy Spirit indwelling you, you have power and assurance of that power to do anything that in in God's perfect will.

Phl 4:13  

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

As far as our appearance, we are beautiful.  We are created in God's own image and we reflect His love.  If we don't look like the models in a magazine, so what? Remain rooted and confident in God's love and nothing else matters.  Remember, you ARE a princess and the other princes and princesses will recognize you as such.

traveler,

Thanks for the verse and responding!  I didn't mean the question as it sounds, and I disagree with you:  we should be overwhelmed with joy and "confidence" that we are God's children.  I mentioned for example "outside" because I live in the year 2002 in THIS WORLD right here and right now.  Like it or not, "this world" influences us all.  We can't possibly close our eyes to what is happening around us. I think it's another way of satan to eat away at us and make us feel "not up to par."  Society has a way of bringing you down. I think we SHOULD feel confident, because we should set an example and have people say "WOW-wonder why kiwi's so together, despite 'this and that'?"  We are FAR better able to witness to someone when we are perceived as knowing what we're talking about (aka: CONFIDENT) than when we are not (to ME, anyway).

Praying for God to give us strength IS the thing we can do.  I just wanted some positive verses I could refer to when feeling like crap.

Thanks for sharing with me what you have.  I will keep that verse with me.

Like Rebel, I was thinking more people would jump on the "here's a verse bandwagon" but, it does seem unless everything is debate-related, you won't get responses...that's rather sad to me.

bye,

kiwi

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

There is a verse in the OT where God tells us that he dosen't go for any self-confidence. Yet,I cannot remember where this verse that God dosen't go for any self-confidence in the OT is?

I should have used the term "esteem" not "confidence...big mistake.  I just don't think God wants us to feel badly about ourselves, that's all, and I don't know how to quit feeling not "up to par."  never mind.  it obviously isn't worth it.  thanks anyway.  God bless each and every one of you.  :shocked:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

We are created in the image of God. That is a pretty big esteem builder. But, we sin, which hits that esteem down a notch. But, Christ died for us, (while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us) this puts that esteem back into focus. We are so very important to God that Jesus died for us. Matthew 6:25,26 "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?

26.  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?

We are much more valuable, do you see that? If you read Chapter 6 of Matthew it explains the value God puts on us, and puts us in the right light. By this I mean, we aren't to think more highly of ourselves then we ought, but that we are more valuable to God than other creatures.  :lightbulb:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Kiwi, you & I are not in disagreement at all. I believe exactly what you said! I just don't express myself very well. I think that when we have confidence through Christ that we are set apart and confident and "calm" no matter what is happening around us.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  41
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Rosanne wrote, "There is a verse in the OT where God tells us that he dosen't go for any self-confidence. Yet,I cannot remember where this verse that God dosen't go for any self-confidence in the OT is? "

"...but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at My word."         Is.66.2

"The Lord maketh poor, and maketh rich: He bringeth low, and lifteth up."                                               1 Sam.2.7

"Though the Lord be high, yet hath He respect unto the lowly: but the proud He knoweth afar off."            Ps.138.6

"It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."                                                             Ps.118.8

"For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.

...Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for Whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,..."           Phil.3.3f

She said, "I cannot find a verse that I have searched for for awhile now.  It is where Moses tells God that he can no longer put up with the children of Israel.  And,God says,"I know these people,they are stubborn stiff-necked people or something like that. Well,Moses was so fed up that he asked God to let him die already.  And,what I like about God's answer is that He did'nt try to make Moses feel guilty for the way he felt or something like that.  "

"And Moses and Aaron gathered the congregation together before the Rock(see 1 Cor.10.4), and he said unto them, Hear now, ye rebels; must we fetch you water out of this rock?

And Moses lifted up his hand, and with his rod he smote the rock twice:..."                                              Num.20.11

"I am not able to bear all this people alone, because it is too heavy for me.

And if Thou deal thus with me, kill me, I pray Thee, out of hand,...

...I will take of the spirit which is upon thee, and will put it upon them; and they shall bear the burden of the people with thee,..."                                                      Num.11.14f

"And the Lord said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and, behold, it is a stiffnecked people:

Now therefore let Me alone, that My wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee a great nation..."                                Ex.32.9f

Moses stood 'in the gap' for Israel, and thus was a picture of Christ.

:shocked: