BibleStudent100

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  413
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

I work as a professor in our local community college and over the years I have observed some interesting trends regarding the attitude of younger people: “being true to yourself,” to name just one.  At first, this philosophy makes sense, as people should be honest in all their dealings.  But this belief system provides “cover” for a more sinister, anti-biblical view point of avoiding one’s responsibility toward pursuing Christian conduct.  Intertwined in the “be true to yourself” ideals are liberal amounts of pride sprinkled with “do it your own way,” etc.  These mantras are more than just sayings, they are becoming embedded into the thinking patterns of people and this worldly philosophy is negatively impacting how people view the precious truths of the Bible. 

Granted we all continue to become “ambassadors substituting for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us. As substitutes for Christ, we beg: “Become reconciled to God” (2 Corinthians 5:20).  Our preaching mission will continue despite whatever attitudes are prevailing at the time. 

My question for you good folks in this forum is the following:  Have you noticed attitudinal shifts in thinking in people in general that produces a detrimental mental milieu that can hinder spiritual growth?

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

"Be true to yourself" and other mantras

1 hour ago, BibleStudent100 said:

My question for you good folks in this forum is the following:  Have you noticed attitudinal shifts in thinking in people in general that produces a detrimental mental milieu that can hinder spiritual growth?

My answer would be this. How can you expect interactions with members here, when you post something and split the scene? By the way, a mantra is a repetitive chant common to India's Hindus. Wouldn't slogans, buzz words, or common current phrases be more applicable? Just saying. But since you've mentioned it, how about some from the 1960's? 

War is harmful to children and other living things.

Give peace a chance.

Make love not war. 

Suppose they gave a war and nobody showed up?

Turn on, tune in, drop out. 

and the ever popular: 

America - love it or leave it.

protesters response: 

America - change it or lose it.

Okay, I'm done. 

Edited by BeauJangles

Alrighty, then. We've touched briefly on the 1960's. So, how about a few from the 1970's?

Far out, man.

What's your (astrological) sign, honey?

Keep the faith baby. 

Put your groove thing on. (disco lingo)

What it is, my man? (ditto)

Get down tonight! (more of the same)

I do my thing and you do your thing.  If by chance we should meet in the middle - it's beautiful.

And then, the Jesus People Movement happened all of a sudden. And we had a few of these. 

Jesus loves you!

He's coming soon.

One way to Jesus. 

Get right, or get left.

If you feel far from God, guess who moved?

Seven days without prayer makes one weak. 

Jesus - "Like a bridge over troubled water". (song title from Simon & Garfunkel) 

:amen:

Edited by BeauJangles

Coming up through the 1980's was yet another new age of sayings. Here's a few.

Gag me with a spoon. 

That is gnarly dude!

Are we having fun yet?

Nothing is worse than a bad hair day. 

I think I may have long-term loss of short-term memory. Wait. What did you just say again?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.76
  • Days Won:  21

"Find your own truth" .......... I've heard that one a lot lately.

My own "truth" was/is totally depraved, deceitfully wicked, and HE knew it. So glad our Father called me into HIS TRUTH! 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.76
  • Days Won:  21

21 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

Nothing is worse than a bad hair day. 

This one is really true though .... I should know, I'm having one today. Looks like I stuck my penguin flapper in a light socket. 

• Haha 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

5 hours ago, BibleStudent100 said:

I work as a professor in our local community college and over the years I have observed some interesting trends regarding the attitude of younger people: “being true to yourself,” to name just one.  At first, this philosophy makes sense, as people should be honest in all their dealings.  But this belief system provides “cover” for a more sinister, anti-biblical view point of avoiding one’s responsibility toward pursuing Christian conduct.  Intertwined in the “be true to yourself” ideals are liberal amounts of pride sprinkled with “do it your own way,” etc.  These mantras are more than just sayings, they are becoming embedded into the thinking patterns of people and this worldly philosophy is negatively impacting how people view the precious truths of the Bible. 

Granted we all continue to become “ambassadors substituting for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us. As substitutes for Christ, we beg: “Become reconciled to God” (2 Corinthians 5:20).  Our preaching mission will continue despite whatever attitudes are prevailing at the time. 

One platitude that I heard years ago on the show "The Golden Girls" was Dorothy telling another Golden Girl "Do what is best for you", this is a totally selfish bit of advice. When I was a crazy teen/young adult criminal what was best for me was to steal what was yours. Then I could enjoy it. The better advice is do what you feel the Lord would have you do. Using this I would not have stolen anything from anyone, and the Lord would have led me to get help for my addictions. This is what would have been best for me and the community I had terrorized.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

2 minutes ago, mcivor randy said:

One platitude that I heard years ago on the show "The Golden Girls" was Dorothy telling another Golden Girl "Do what is best for you", this is a totally selfish bit of advice. When I was a crazy teen/young adult criminal what was best for me was to steal what was yours. Then I could enjoy it. The better advice is do what you feel the Lord would have you do. Using this I would not have stolen anything from anyone, and the Lord would have led me to get help for my addictions. This is what would have been best for me and the community I had terrorized. In the Bible troublesome times were described as being when, "every man did that which was right in their own eyes".

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.32
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

heres a saying and may it counter the other one .  Be TRUE TO GOD and DENY SELF .   Pick up that cross , deny self , and go and follow Christ . 

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  413
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

21 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

Alrighty, then. We've touched briefly on the 1960's. So, how about a few from the 1970's?

Far out, man.

What's your (astrological) sign, honey?

Keep the faith baby. 

Put your groove thing on. (disco lingo)

What it is, my man? (ditto)

Get down tonight! (more of the same)

I do my thing and you do your thing.  If by chance we should meet in the middle - it's beautiful.

And then, the Jesus People Movement happened all of a sudden. And we had a few of these. 

Jesus loves you!

He's coming soon.

One way to Jesus. 

Get right, or get left.

If you feel far from God, guess who moved?

Seven days without prayer makes one weak. 

Jesus - "Like a bridge over troubled water". (song title from Simon & Garfunkel) 

:amen:

I have been thinking a lot lately about these mantras; I use the word "mantras," perhaps loosely, but purposely, because these sayings are more than just sayings, they are frequently used expressions that reveal deep-seated beliefs and thinking and although they appear  wise on the surface, their deep meaning highlight society's growing separation from the Lord.  As BeauJangle reminds us, similar expressions have been around for decades with more iterations being created and absorbed by the younger generations.  

I see many of these commonly used maxims as another trick by the Great Opposer to deceive humankind with counterfeit words and deceptive teachings, as indeed, these adages "instruct" people on how to view their world. 

21 hours ago, BeauJangles said: