• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

If lots of Christians believe something is true, does that make it true?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

No one Is perfect and knows everything and has all the answers except Jesus, Christians Are Saved By Grace through Faith, Not of themselves it is a gift so no one can boast

God knows a Persons Faith Towards Jesus, That's what matters

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  244
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,997
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

30 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

Absolutely not. Why do you even ask, I wonder, but then I think you want to address the predilection of humans to fall into the trap of this fallacy known technically as argumentum ad populum.

In argumentation theory, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to the people"[1]) is a fallacious argument that concludes that a proposition must be true because many or most people believe it, often concisely encapsulated as: "If many believe so, it is so".[citation needed]

Other names for the fallacy include appeal to (common) belief,[2][3] appeal to the majority,[4] appeal to the masses,[5] appeal to popularity,[6][7] argument by consensus,[8] authority of the many,[8][9] bandwagon fallacy,[7][10] consensus gentium (Latin for "agreement of the people"),[10] democratic fallacy,[11] and mob appeal.[12] [Wkpd]

On the topic of fallacious logic I am reminded of an ancient belief that if no-one existed to be aware of the Universe then it would not exist. This is similar to the well known question about whether a tree falling in the forest with no-one to hear it makes a sound. 

Food for thought...maybe a book title, "The Unheard Sound".

8 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

Absolutely not. Why do you even ask, I wonder, but then I think you want to address the predilection of humans to fall into the trap of this fallacy known technically as argumentum ad populum.

In argumentation theory, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to the people"[1]) is a fallacious argument that concludes that a proposition must be true because many or most people believe it, often concisely encapsulated as: "If many believe so, it is so".[citation needed]

Other names for the fallacy include appeal to (common) belief,[2][3] appeal to the majority,[4] appeal to the masses,[5] appeal to popularity,[6][7] argument by consensus,[8] authority of the many,[8][9] bandwagon fallacy,[7][10] consensus gentium (Latin for "agreement of the people"),[10] democratic fallacy,[11] and mob appeal.[12] [Wkpd]

On the topic of fallacious logic I am reminded of an ancient belief that if no-one existed to be aware of the Universe then it would not exist. This is similar to the well known question about whether a tree falling in the forest with no-one to hear it makes a sound. 

Food for thought...maybe a book title, "The Unheard Sound".

I ask because sometimes I get a feeling that if I disagree with a group of people, they assume they are right simply because they all agree.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  348
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,501
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

51 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

John 18:38 (KJV) Pilate saith unto him, What is truth? And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, I find in him no fault at all. [emphasis added]

In the secular world, truth is subjective, your truth may not be my truth. Seventy-five percent of Americans label themselves as Christian; and there is a vast split in Salvation, theology and doctrine. Believing in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy doesn't make them true. There's only one truth to believe.

John 14:6 (KJV) Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

I ask because sometimes I get a feeling that if I disagree with a group of people, they assume they are right simply because they all agree.

Look at all the great biblical respectable scholars and bible teachers who disagree in theology and doctrine. A big group of baptists on one side of an isle, and a big group of Catholics on the other side of the isle. Each side is going to agree with one another I would guess. 

6 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

John 18:38 (KJV) Pilate saith unto him, What is truth? And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, I find in him no fault at all. [emphasis added]

In the secular world, truth is subjective, your truth may not be my truth. Seventy-five percent of Americans label themselves as Christian; and there is a vast split in Salvation, theology and doctrine. Believing in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy doesn't make them true. There's only one truth to believe.

John 14:6 (KJV) Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

It seems to me people of a liberal ilk tend to believe truth can be whatever you want it to be - it's called "interpretation."

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  244
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,997
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

5 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

How about the fallacy that because someone has been designated as "the pastor" whatever they believe and say must be adhered to...see how easily fallacious reasoning dictates group think.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

8 minutes ago, Sonshine said:

No.  Many Christians have not been taught the Truth.  Just saying... 

Some Christians seem pretty sure of themselves, when it seems to me they are wrong.

1 minute ago, johnthebaptist said:

It seems to me people of a liberal ilk tend to believe truth can be whatever you want it to be - it's called "interpretation."

No. That's too simple, we need some 50 cents words to describe "interpretation". Let's use.... Exegesis and hermeneutics :D